TAT announces compulsory medical insurance for foreign visitors

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, DavisH said:

And what if a foreigner is covered under Thai health cover by way of their work or having a spouse who is a civil servant - I amlready get government health cover via the latter. 

I don't see such insurance lasing forever, as covid will be done with in the next few years. But a general insurance requirement may well be required over the long term for tourists. I imagine that this covid insurance may well evolve into general insurance civer for all foreigners entering Thailand. That won't help the TAT's numbers. 

nothing will happen because people are not stupid so much to paid for something they will never see the service and at very expensive price compared to concurrency. let's have a look very soon...

3 minutes ago, jerolamo said:

nothing will happen because people are not stupid so much to paid for something they will never see the service and at very expensive price compared to concurrency. let's have a look very soon...

There are a lot of very wealthy Chinese that will pay for it..yes, lets see. Certainly not many Europeans will, as they can easily travel around Europe, but for how long I don't know. The pandemic looks to get very bad there over the winter. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

This, on top of the long stay insurance scheme (which covers non covid illness), simply allows them to get twice as much from their beloved tourist/expat community. Fairness and equity be damed. 

Capture.PNG

yes, in my country i have all this cover and better with  350 K€ covered for 35 € by month all the year (i'm 44 years old).

11 minutes ago, DavisH said:

There are a lot of very wealthy Chinese that will pay for it..yes, lets see. Certainly not many Europeans will, as they can easily travel around Europe, but for how long I don't know. The pandemic looks to get very bad there over the winter. 

You think Chinese insurance are so expensive and Chinese doesn't know to count money they have to paid for something ? This is not the reputation of Chinese people and all the one i know will not paid expensive price for low cover as it is.

Yes, let's see if the privation and  propaganda of the fear around COVID pretext will be enough to force people to paid much more for what they will never have in Thailand that they can have in there own country...

Edited by jerolamo

23 minutes ago, jerolamo said:

You think Chinese insurance are so expensive and Chinese doesn't know to count money they have to paid for something ? This is not the reputation of Chinese people and all the one i know will not paid expensive price for low cover as it is.

Yes, let's see if the privation and  propaganda of the fear around COVID pretext will be enough to force people to paid much more for what they will never have in Thailand that they can have in there own country...

The first lot of Chinese have already arrived. So some are willing to pay. Lets see home many more come. Certainly very few Europeans will pay for it. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

If you have insurance from your home country that includes covid coverage,

Thailand should be able to accept that as well. If you are too cheap charlie to get

this kind of insurance coverage, just stay home. Thailand has enough cheap charlies

already. I will have to pay more, but I do not travel abroad with adequate medical

insurance coverage, as I do not wish to be a burden where ever I travel. It is

the ADULT thing to do.

Geezer

I'm not "cheap charly" and maybe you hate people who work strong to get money, you sure prefer very high level daddy candy friendly guys... that's your choice and your life, i will not arg on this kind of binary thinking generalization.

I just show facts: "COVID" is just a title on a paper, the content is, for Thai insurance, very low at very expensive price compared with what is existing already.

That is a fact (yes or not daddy charly ?).

You are able to get it or not is not my problem.

But yes, maybe people who are born with no valuable money from heritage would paid anything easy without care, sure ( i know some of them who already sink two yacht... they don't care money, they have a lot and they don't work at all and don't care anyone).

But there is not thousands of this kind of daddy candy charlies.

I have a house to finish to build at home in Thailand and a wife waiting... but i will not paid for crooks story time like a dumb, even if this doesn't please to daddy candy charlies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alyx said:

As you are not quoting anyone, your post is kind of confusing to me: on one hand, Thailand should accept other insurances. On the other hand if one is too cheap Charlie, one should not travel. 

Don't you think that one has the right to complain about the fact that they have to pay for a product that they already have, or can get for a fraction of these terms?

Are those people that you label cheap Charlies

i think "cheap charly" is a disparaging formula of daddy's son to designate people who must work to earn a living.

In this neo-liberal corrupted world, money is a white card passport, there is no other value like morality or justice or what ever.

3 minutes ago, jerolamo said:

i think "cheap charly" is a disparaging formula of daddy's son to designate people who must work to earn a living.

In this neo-liberal corrupted world, money is a white card passport, there is no other value like morality or justice or what ever.

555 you have lost me at « I think »

maybe I should have read all the post prior to your comment as I do not understand to what or to show you are referring.

I am not from an English speaking country, so some idioms  es spe my comprehension but I was pretty sure that your definition is not correct ( if I remember correctly it is / was mainly used in Asia ) 

7 minutes ago, alyx said:

555 you have lost me at « I think »

maybe I should have read all the post prior to your comment as I do not understand to what or to show you are referring.

I am not from an English speaking country, so some idioms  es spe my comprehension but I was pretty sure that your definition is not correct ( if I remember correctly it is / was mainly used in Asia ) 

The word "Charly" is also used there in France to designate people who are not from rich old famillies.

This word is specially used in their own lexical field of the big bourgeois and only to denigrate what they consider to be: "from the low-level population", the plebs, "toothless", beggars, all poor, idiots, dirty , and who have to go to work. People who do not have the means to afford high schools. In short ... for Thailand, about 90% of the population if not more.
In fact, they are talking about honest people who do not belong to their social caste of heirs or who are not big bosses listed on the stock exchange.

If this kind of pedantic "bobo" (diminutive of bourgeois) would have to speak about young people who travel with courageous and low money in the pocket (the kind of guys i was when engage to para-troopers when i was young), and in danger to get something wrong or propagate a fear with a flue season virus named Sars-Cov-2 (and who has mutated already more than 25 times), and maybe in trouble with no money a society would have to assume (not a rich guy... sure not), he would probably use the word: "bag packer" to designate this kind of traveler. But he didn't.

There is close to no doubt about his own pedantic thinking and denigration who is absolutely not Buddhist and then not close to Thai culture. Kind of people who need to paid to get smile back and who hate people for that...

Edited by jerolamo

8 minutes ago, jerolamo said:

The word "Charly" is also used there in France to designate people who are not from rich old famillies.

This word is specially used in their own lexical field of the big bourgeois and only to denigrate what they consider to be: "from the low-level population", the plebs, "toothless", beggars, all poor, idiots, dirty , and who have to go to work. People who do not have the means to afford high schools. In short ... for Thailand, about 90% of the population if not more.
In fact, they are talking about honest people who do not belong to their social caste of heirs or who are not big bosses listed on the stock exchange.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and explain but I still fail to understand the connection between your post and the rest of the thread.

As for the “French saying” ...never heard of it although I was “exposed” to their culture for a little while 

19 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Not even going to worry about it yet, Way I see it is that these are mad requirements for return during covid times , and will in all likelihood disappear or be changed when covid is behind us. Thailand is driven by tourism, once a they see people will not come and pay for this outside of covid it will be gone.

Similar sentiments, but when you take into consideration the 'special' people in charge don't really want us there (no tourism wouldn't really affect them) and the fact that covid will never be gone,  doesn't bode well. Reckon you can expect something along these lines whether you live there or not... folk bouncing borders will for sure be caught up in it.

So it's more than $1000 for the cover for a year.

What do people do who have already paid for a year's insurance cover that covers COVID plus all other medical conditions?

Do they have to pay over another $1000 for this unnecessary policy?

1 hour ago, alyx said:

Thank you for taking the time to reply and explain but I still fail to understand the connection between your post and the rest of the thread.

As for the “French saying” ...never heard of it although I was “exposed” to their culture for a little while 

The user of this formal way to speak about... poor people, is not from Asia, and we don't know where this author origin is from. But still, i do interpretate his use of "Charly" in the context because of my own culture, but also because of the context. Di you understand the context there ? If not, i'm really sory, i think i loosed my time.

sorry again friend, i did my best to try to explain you what i understood. Never mind if my reading make you feel as confused, and shok diii.

Feel free and very welcome to take time to tell me what is your reading interpretation of this "Charly" meaning there, and thank you to share your knowledge about this.

Edited by jerolamo

I've not read all 20 pages of this topic but I did create this thread back in July:

The insurances I mention in there most definitely include well over $100K cover for CV and emergency cover....everything a genuine tourist needs insurance-wise plus what Thailand is asking for.

By genuine tourist, i mean just that, not someone living in Thailand on a tourist visa.

(On payment of a small extra premium, It is possible to get as many 90 day trips as you want out of the Nationwide FlexPlus insurance that I currently hold.)

So is it safe to assume that when  / if quarantine ends and there are flights other than repat flights,  this will cover one's insurance needs?

Because if it doesn't, I don't believe any tourist who is sensible enough to have travel insurance is going to consider Thailand.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, alyx said:

As you are not quoting anyone, your post is kind of confusing to me: on one hand, Thailand should accept other insurances. On the other hand if one is too cheap Charlie, one should not travel. 

Don't you think that one has the right to complain about the fact that they have to pay for a product that they already have, or can get for a fraction of these terms?

Are those people that you label cheap Charlies

if you have insurance already for minimum 100k then fine .... you can show that. If it includes COVID19 cover then that's even better otherwise you will be required to purchase it. 

Good. All travelers should have health and accident insurance, no matter where they visit in the world. Thai people (not married to an EU citizens) traveling to Europe in a Schengen visa have required insurance for as long as I can remember. I have never heard anyone complain about that.

I plan to go to Thailand to see my wife in December. I live and work in South Korea (I have Alien Registration), but am a US citizen (haven't physically been in the US since July 2019). I checked the Thai Insurance website. If I say I am from Korea, the 60 day policy costs a little over B3,000 and if I say I am from the US the premium is over B8,000. I want to register, obviously, as a resident of Korea, but worry if that is acceptable. Any thoughts?   And yes, I will be asking the Thai Embassy in Seoul, but thought I'd see what people here thought.

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

One can only hope you are right, but then this is Thailand and common sense never goes hand in hand with Thai logic.

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

One can only hope you are right, but then this is Thailand and common sense never goes hand in hand with Thai logic.

FACT:  Thai Work Permit holders do pay Thai personal Taxation and are entitled to join the Thai Social Security fund which does include medical/hospital cover, employer deducts contribution from monthly salary and sent to the SS fund. Been there done that for many years. And on leaving employment the employee can withdraw from the SS und and get some refund of monthly premiums paid. Been there done that. 

22 minutes ago, JohnFlory said:

I plan to go to Thailand to see my wife in December. I live and work in South Korea (I have Alien Registration), but am a US citizen (haven't physically been in the US since July 2019). I checked the Thai Insurance website. If I say I am from Korea, the 60 day policy costs a little over B3,000 and if I say I am from the US the premium is over B8,000. I want to register, obviously, as a resident of Korea, but worry if that is acceptable. Any thoughts?   And yes, I will be asking the Thai Embassy in Seoul, but thought I'd see what people here thought.

Yes, I have noticed that difference ...it should be the country of residence but that is only my thought. What is the name of that insurance and how long would it cover you ? 

12 minutes ago, scorecard said:

FACT:  Thai Work Permit holders do pay Thai personal Taxation and are entitled to join the Thai Social Security fund which does include medical/hospital cover, employer deducts contribution from monthly salary and sent to the SS fund. Been there done that for many years. And on leaving employment the employee can withdraw from the SS und and get some refund of monthly premiums paid. Been there done that. 

My comment was in regards to one being covered for Covid insurance through the Thai Government if non-Thai.  GF has a work permit, and then the SS and medical that she paid for at the time of her extension of stay, as she is from a bordering country.  That basic insurance scheme that she has does not cover Covid from what she has been told.  If it does, it is one hell of a cheap policy for 3900 baht for the year.  For her she has also purchased a PCH insurance plan to cover her in going to a private hospital, instead of going to the Government Hospital that she had to register at under the scheme, and then wait for medical services there, or at one of the clinics with hundreds of others. YMMV is all I was saying.

Even though she paid into the SS plan, she was unable to draw any money out as she was told "Foreigner can not", and yet the Thai employee's she had could.  Now go figure that one out.

Edited by ThailandRyan

12 hours ago, Pib said:

The $100K coverage requirement is for COVID19 only--it's specific to COVID19.   There is no separate requirement for general purpose medical coverage unless you are entering on an O/A Visa.

Edit: Correction...the $100K requirement relates to all medical coverage and it must include coverage for COVID. 

If it is indeed correct that the mandatory 100.000 US $ insurance to be eligible for the CoE has to relate to all medical coverage (including covid-19), then we have the ridiculous situation that:

1 - The TGIA covid-19 policies [  https://covid19.tgia.org ] would NOT be eligible as they are crystal clear that they ONLY cover covid-19, so you would need such a policy ON TOP of a 100.000 US $ full medical coverage policy if that does not already include covid-19 coverage;

2 - The Thai health-insurance policies offered by PacificCross that provide such 100.000 US $ coverage for all medical coverage (including covid-19), will ONLY cover you for covid-19 when you are already 15 days in country.  Yet, these policies are 'accepted' even though you will NOT be covered when arriving in Thailand and testing positive.

Edited by Peter Denis

12 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

The Thai health-insurance policies offered by PacificCross that provide such 100.000 US $ coverage for all medical coverage (including covid-19), will ONLY cover you for covid-19 when you are already 15 days in country.  Yet, these policies are 'accepted' even though you will NOT be covered when arriving in Thailand and testing positive.

Leaves one scratching your head a little bit now does it not.  Confusion reigns at all turns.  Would having Covid then be considered a pre-existing condition possible.  One has to ask!

• Like 1