TAT announces compulsory medical insurance for foreign visitors

snoop1130

2 hours ago, bkk_bwana said:

OK, so why do Thai people need compulsory insurance to visit Europe (Schengen visa) and Europe's neighbouring countries people do not?

Yes, you are correct.  Thailand could exempt ASEAN-member nationalities from the 100.000 US $ health-insurance (including covid-19) requirement.  But that would probably require another scheme to avoid unpaid hospital-bills (the official reason Thailand imposes it on western visitors) when those other Asean-member nationalities need hospital treatment.

• Like 1

What I fail to completely understand is this :

on day 1 you test negative (WHO advisory - test) in your home country

on day 3 you test negative (??? - test) in Thailand on arrival

on day 6 you test POSITIVE (??? - test) in Thailand in the ASQ (quarantine) hotel

Now from a viewpoint of infectious diseases this is a weird one ...

THE ONLY PLACE I COULD GET INFECTED IS THAILAND. 

So I need to insure myself to protect Thai society (covering hospital costs for a COVID-19 infection) while I get infected in Thailand.

It is a new dimension in "making money" ... my suggestion is NEVER EVER GO TO AMAZING TRUSTED THAILAND ...

Greed, cheapness, hate, racism and money grabbing ... 

I want a defamation sandwich as the ultimate crime against humanity ... 

print.jpeg

I already have 400K baht health cover required for my OA extension.  If I leave Thailand for any reason, I will need to keep that one (for non-Covid stuff) plus add the $100K Covid cover.  At my age (70), the total premiums will probably be prohibitive.  So my next trip out of Thailand is likely to be my last.  Sad.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JTXR said:

I already have 400K baht health cover required for my OA extension.  If I leave Thailand for any reason, I will need to keep that one (for non-Covid stuff) plus add the $100K Covid cover.  At my age (70), the total premiums will probably be prohibitive.  So my next trip out of Thailand is likely to be my last.  Sad.

For many who have retired here but still make a trip back to the old country to see family and friends this looks like a body blow for as you say as time goes by and the age goes up the chances of getting reasonable insurance diminishes by the year so as you say if you leave it likely would be permanent and yes it is sad, the life you knew only a year ago turned inside out. Its also sad for the people you live with in Thailand, you cannot come back and therefore will need to take your assets with you with all the pain that would cause.

I have not seen any evidence that the hospitals here are out of pocket due to tourists, in fact when I have used them in the past they wanted to see insurance cover or credit card before anything happens. so, most normal would deduce that what is really going on here is that the Thai Insurance sector with help of the Government are out to exploit the current situation. The Thai tourist industry will pay the price for this poorly thought scheme, as always no looking at the future. forward planning would have shown that.

Hey, check out the carrebean islands. Turquoise blue water, friendly people, no extra insurances, no 14 days prepayed jails, no following apps or wristbands, no <deleted> - just affordable HOLIDAYS.

Just as is was in Thailand R.i.P

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 12:00 AM, Pilotman said:

sensible move

Not as it doesn't cover all medical issues.

Compulsory medical insurance should, IMO, be required before anyone travels internationally, preferably before they get on the plane. However, any reputable insurance should suffice, not specifically sold in Thailand.

Edited by thaibeachlovers