TAT announces compulsory medical insurance for foreign visitors

snoop1130

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I can agree with that point of view. I did not know there had to be 3 signatures on a letter. Thought it would be a simple thing as they just had to state about COVID and its just an normal disease so covered under the insurance you got. 

The example I gave about three signature related to medical insurance for a visa/extension of stay.

1 minute ago, rott said:

"all the times etc........" how many times is that.? Is it really any worse here than anywhere else. 

Could your nose get any browner.? 

You should read about it on the forum comes up enough. So i feel they have the right to protect themselves. I can understand the hassle if you already have an insurance but if your living here without one that just wrong. 

15 hours ago, greeneking said:

This is what I thought you would say.  You think it's obvious........

Take a look at this from today's Thaiger.

'Here’s an example of some of the costs for packages that vary from 30 days to 1 year. The premiums range from 1,600-4,800 Baht for 30 days of coverage; from 2,880-8,640 Baht for 60 days; from 3,840 – 12,160 Baht for 90 days; from 7,680 – 23,040 Baht for 120 days, and from 14,400 – 43,200 Baht for one year.'

Are you as relaxed about what is required now?

But if you have to get this insurance to re-enter Thailand for a year, will you have to renew it every year there after?

6 minutes ago, Knobby37 said:

I have used travel insurance from my own country which has always worked fine, about £70 to £80 for around £3,000,000 cover, what’s the problem with international insurance companies?

Possibly time-consuming or impractical verification issues?

There's probably already a nascent Thailand Covid-19 Insurance Certificate industry on Khao San Road.

25 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

So posting useful information on options/alternatives for those confronted with the insurance requirement is now considered 'whining'?

It lurched from "useful information on options/alternatives" to "whining" when you opined "Thai rip-off".

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

18 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

So it's just another scam on foreign tourists, and another business model for the generals to line up their pockets by pay backs from the Thai insurances? Likely. What else could be a reason to force foreigner to exclusively buy these overpriced Thai insurances when they are already covered by their existing insurances? 

Of Course applies to Chinese tourists ?????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Be aware that the Pacific Cross policies ONLY provide coverage starting 15 days after arrival in Thailand.  So it's quite strange that they are accepted for the 100.000 US $ covid-19 coverage, since in fact you would NOT be covered when tested positive on arrival in Thailand.

Good point, but the policy highlighted looks like a straightforward annual policy, not specifically to cover re-entry requirements but give comprehensive cover with no exclusions for pre-existing conditions as well as acceptable if Iwas to leave and use it to re-enter. 3.5 million baht per year cover would hopefully be adequate for most claims.

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A medical insurance policy with at least USD $100,000 coverage or about 3.16 million Baht for possible COVID-19 treatment

Ridiculous to insist on cover of a certain amount of US dollars for policies issued by Thai companies that will cover treatment in Thai hospitals. Why not simply say cover of 3 million Baht and make life simple, since they clearly don't want foreign insurance companies involved in this particular gravy train?

• Like 2

Maybe it is me , but what with Europe Asisstance , wordwide coverage ? 

Is it no longer valid in Thailand ?

Do foreigners visiting actually have the freedom of choice or are they forced to use a Thai company ?

There are international agreements in place so ... now we have to be double or triple insured ? 

• Confused 1

So up to 14400 ( for the youngsters)--48000 retiree categorie max.( probably depending age category..) for 1 year retirees if travell out and in again 

Edited by david555

The premium is reasonable but cover only in respect of Covid after arrival in Thailand. This means international travel insurance is still required and the double insurance cover would probably be applied for duplicate insurance and all complications that would arise when making a claim under each insurance. It does however indicate which nationalities are permitted to apply for the STV which very few although China  included in permitted countries.

• Like 1

‘TAT highly recommends foreigners planning to visit Thailand to enquire at the Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate-General in their home country before making any bookings.’

The reality is that at least some of the Thai embassies in Europe do only accept an insurance policy with a minimal validity of 1 year, even if your intended stay is shorter, and even if the Thai government has approved insurance policies of a shorter duration. If not a certificate of entry won’t be issued.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

No, you only need a 100.000 US $ coverage covid-19 insurance for the period of your intended stay in Thailand. 

That's why the TGIA covid-19 only insurance policies allow you to subscribe to them for periods of 30, 60, 90, 180 days and 1 year, as that co-incides with the Visa period on which you enter.

Note: E.g. when entering on a new 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa, you could of course buy a cheap throw-away flight-ticket to provide evidence that your intended stay in Thailand would only be 30 days and not the 1-year from the Non Imm O-A Visa.

I see nothing wrong with doing so, because after 30 days in covid-free Thailand it would be clear that you are not covid infected and hence no need for having such insurance for a full year.

So every time you travell out after 1 year being in Thailand you need anyway a new one ....so in case of yearly travell it becomes a yearly expensive post for Retirees who like to travell and see family as example...?

Your explaining is a wishfull one ...hope you are right .....but i guess they do not consider by beeing c19 free ...entering would cost you a new one after 1 year when entering a new Thailand 

They dont go keep a health record of farang i guess ????