France's Macron: Expect to live with virus at least till mid-2021

rooster59

France's Macron: Expect to live with virus at least till mid-2021

2020-10-23T165114Z_1_LYNXMPEG9M1DY_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-FRANCE-MACRON.JPG

French President Emmanuel Macron chairs a meeting with the medical staff of the Rene Dubos hospital center, in Pontoise, in the Val d'Oise, France October 23, 2020, as the country faces a new wave of infections to the COVID-19. Ludovic Marin/Pool via REUTERS

PARIS (Reuters) - France will have to live with the coronavirus at least until next summer, President Emmanuel Macron said on Friday.

Macron, who was speaking during a visit to a hospital in Pointoise, near Paris, said there were no plans at this stage to reduce curfews aimed at preventing the virus spreading but that curfews could even be extended.

"When I listen to scientists I see that projections are for at best until next Summer," he said, adding it was too early to say if France was headed towards new full or partial lockdowns.

The coronavirus is spreading through France faster than at the peak of the first wave in spring, a government scientific advisor said earlier on Friday.

France reported 41,622 new COVID-19 cases on Thursday, a new daily record, and will break through the 1,000,000 cumulative tally on Friday - a grim milestone for the government as it and other European capitals battle to keep their economies open.

France has announced plans to extend a curfew to 38 more administrative departments from midnight on Friday. In all, two thirds of the country's 67 million population will be confined indoors each night from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. until early December.

(Reporting by Dominique Vidalon; Editing by Kevin Liffey and Chizu Nomiyama)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-10-24

21 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Sounds like an optimistic projection to me.

Hopefully he’s correct but I suspect we will need to keep our guard up a bit longer than that I do applaud his courage to speak up,contrary to the fiasco here in the states let’s hope he’s correct

So I'm getting increasingly confused by data.

In no way am I underplaying how infectious the virus is, but what I am now questioning, is the chaos countries response to it is worth the economic devastation it's created.

The WHO reports the actual death rate from seasonal flu versus COVID, is markedly different;

Mortality for COVID-19 appears higher than for influenza, especially seasonal influenza. While the true mortality of COVID-19 will take some time to fully understand, the data we have so far indicate that the crude mortality ratio (the number of reported deaths divided by the reported cases) is between 3-4%, the infection mortality rate (the number of reported deaths divided by the number of infections) will be lower. For seasonal influenza, mortality is usually well below 0.1%. However, mortality is to a large extent determined by access to and quality of health care.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/question-and-answers-hub/q-a-detail/q-a-similarities-and-differences-covid-19-and-influenza

And I think that last sentence is probably true, since we have access to vaccines and therapeutics.

But look at the graph of deaths/cases from USA, France, Sweden and UK over time. I didn't pull more countries of the graph would get confusing.

You can play with the graphs yourself, ton of data:

https://ourworldindata.org/mortality-risk-covid?country=USA~FRA~SWE~GBR

So again, I'm perplexed right now to say the least.

Covid deaths.jpg

Edited by GinBoy2

5 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

So again, I'm perplexed right now to say the least.

Why perplexed? The graph basically agrees with your quote does it not?

... the data we have so far indicate that the crude mortality ratio (the number of reported deaths divided by the reported cases) is between 3-4% ...

9 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Why perplexed? The graph basically agrees with your quote does it not?

Maybe I should have phrased it;

'Perplexed by the 'current' response!'

Obviously looking back over time when mortality was in the ~15% range, yeah drastic measures had to be taken.

But now, maybe 3-5%, are draconian measures really justified?

And remember this is a ratio. Granted infections may be increasing in certain regions, but the mortality rate is still that 3-5% of those increasing infections, not the 15% of earlier in the spring

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

The SAGE files: Papers presented to Government claim Covid-19 is mutating, London ISN'T seeing a spike in cases but patients are dying FASTER in the second wave than they did in the first

• Papers discussed by scientific advisors to the Government were released today 
  • Scientists said the UK did not have the capability to research mutations in depth 
  • Another document confirms that London has so far avoided a 'second wave'
  • SAGE also attempted to end the debate about a segregated lockdowns strategy

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8873281/SAGE-files-Covid-19-mutating-London-ISNT-seeing-spike-cases-like-cities.html

Scientific advisers have been warned that the coronavirus is mutating and could become more infectious, according to SAGE papers published today. 

The New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (NERVTAG) said the UK did not have the capability to research these mutations in depth and whether they would be harmful.

It's one of a number of papers released by the Government today that give an insight into how scientists are steering the pandemic. 

The idea was explored in a scientific report handed to the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE), which then presents the findings to the Government to help inform public health policy.