Quarantine Tales #1: Thaivisa talks to expats in quarantine: “It’s all very professional just don’t ask for an Irish coffee”

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I  miss the wife and daughter like mad, but, rather u than me George, 100,000 baht just basically to get into thailand is pathetic - i'll wait.

Quarantine Tales #1: Thaivisa talks to expats in quarantine: “It’s all very professional just don’t ask for an Irish coffee”   Image: Reuters file photo   Today Thaivisa begin

That confirms there’s no logic to it. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

I really don't understand the no alcohol rule, can someone explain the logic or medical reason if any ? 

Alcohol is a poison and puts stress on your liver so lowering your ability to resist infections. That is completely apart from its mood and emotion altering effects. Also it effects skin temperature among other things.

Under normal circumstances and moderate consumption that is usually not a problem. Quarantine is not normal.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, Salerno said:

Don't want people getting <deleted> and belligerent; complete ban rather than minimising quantity is the sticking point IMO.

That's undoubtedly a thought, but I suspect they're mainly worried the physical effects of alc could easily mask Covid symptoms such as temperature readings, physical sensation etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Quarantine Tales #1: Thaivisa talks to expats in quarantine: “It’s all very professional just don’t ask for an Irish coffee”

5f6845ce4c59b7547968ebb0.jpeg

Image: Reuters file photo

Today Thaivisa begins a series of stories examining in detail what it is like to undergo - some say endure - what has become known as Alternative State Quarantine or Alternative Local State Quarantine.

At present this is the 14 day period that foreigners returning or visiting Thailand must spend in a participating hotel either in the Bangkok area or in designated facilities outside the capital. It includes all the tests necessary for Covid-19 before people are free to really arrive in Thailand, albeit still tracked by an app. 

Currently there is no sidestepping this requirement and many people abroad who want to return to loved ones or property - who want to resume their lives in Thailand - are accepting that fronting up the cash and going through quarantine is the only answer.

More and more hotels are applying to the government to take part in places as far removed as Pattaya and Samui.

This past week we began by ending "The Stranded" series with a 60 year old British man who managed to get through the hoops and hassles of the paperwork and return to Thailand to go through the quarantine in Bangkok. He was less than complimentary but that was just one person's voice. 

Today we feature the founder and former owner of Thaivisa, George, who is currently in quarantine after returning to Thailand from Sweden, via Cambodia.

George found himself stuck outside of Thailand after having to go back to Sweden to deal with an urgent family matter. 

His initial attempts to begin the process to return to Thailand via the Thai Embassy in Stockholm failed, as did the same request at the Thai Consulate in Amsterdam, with both failing to reply to several emails and phone calls.

George then decided that he stood a better chance of being able to enter Thailand from a neighboring country. He managed to find a flight to Cambodia (via Stockholm, Amsterdam and Doha) and was able to base himself in Phnom Penh for the past month while he attended to some business interests and worked on arranging his entry into Thailand.

In Cambodia, he registered via the Thai Embassy’s Facebook page for a flight back to Thailand and was able to obtain all the necessary documentation required to enter, such as a Fit to Fly certificate, CoE, proof of negative COVID test. 

His insurance coverage was obtained from Tune Insurance and cost 9,000 baht. 

"Anyone stuck in Cambodia can use the once monthly repatriation charter flights. 18K THB one-way", George said.

"It's organized by Royal Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh and a Thai travel agency. Very friendly Embassy staff who went to any length to get everybody a CoE."

"There were about 60 passengers on my 14 October flight. Next one is on 10 Nov"

12903427172388.jpg

On Oct 14 he flew back to Thailand.

“They must have checked all my paperwork about five times”, George said.

“But all in all, everything was very professional the way it is being handled in Thailand”. 

When George arrived at Suvarnabhumi, rather than being met by officials in hazmat suits he said it just seemed to be airport staff wearing surgical masks.

“They were very welcoming”, he said.

“They took us through immigration in groups of 10 and then to minivans with two people per minivan as they took us to our hotel”.

“I’m staying at the Maple Hotel in Bang Na, it’s near Ikea, and has cost 38,000 THB for the room, which I didn’t think was too expensive”.

George had looked at several different options for quarantine but said he didn’t see the point of paying extra for a hotel in central Bangkok when he wouldn’t have been able to leave anyway!

“The hotel is good and again the staff have been really professional”.

“Here the staff are wearing protective suits and face shields, but you really don’t come into contact with them anyway”. 

Once checked in he saw a doctor and had temperature taken and did a swab test.

He was then shown to his room, where he had to stay for the first five days. 

After five days he was allowed to go to the rooftop exercise area, where guests can visit for up to one hour per day. Visits to the exercise area must be booked in advance. 

Roof top exercise area at Maple Hotel

He gets given three meals per day which he chooses from a menu. 

“Overall the food has been good. Some days it has been better than others, but it’s pretty good. I had fish and chips yesterday and it was good”.

Once the food arrives it is placed on a tray outside his door. He doesn’t actually come into contact with anyone.

If he wants snacks, he sends a message to hotel staff using Line and they send someone to 7 Eleven. 

“If you need anything at all, you just contact the staff on Line and they get back to you right away. They are very helpful”.

George has his temperature taken three times per day, as is standard. He is also due to have another COVID-19 test on Oct 25 with the results due two days later, in preparation for him leaving. 

When asked about the impact being locked in a room had on his mental health, George said he found days 2 and 3 most difficult, when he suddenly started to feel a little isolated.

But regular video and voice calls to friends, work and plenty of Netflix has helped him pass the time. 

“The calls are really important, connecting with friends is a good way to keep your sanity”.

George did say however that he feels anyone who perhaps has struggled with anxiety or depression in the past may find quarantine difficult. 

He said the hotel staff have been very supportive and as well as checking on his physical health, also show concern with regards to the mental wellbeing of anyone in quarantine. 

A few other points George raised:

There is absolutely no alcohol available to anyone in quarantine.

“I cheekily tried to order an Irish coffee but was told cannot!”

“They wouldn’t even let me keep paracetamol in the room”.

Screenshot 2020-10-24 at 12.51.07.png

As well as the three meals per day, room service is also available.

“I’ve ordered room service a few times, which has been good. And if I need anything else I message them on Line and they go to 7-Eleven or Villa for me. But using apps like FoodPanda or Grab is not allowed”.

George also had a couple of tips for anyone who is due to enter quarantine.

“Bring your own power cable!”

“I have my laptop, tablet and phone and hotel rooms normally only have a few power sockets.”

“I brought my own and it has been really useful”.

“Also, bring your own cutlery!”

“I hate using plastic cutlery and all the food they give you comes with a plastic knife and fork”.

“I brought my own knife and fork with me from Sweden and it has proved to be a small comfort”.

“Finally, bring your own tea bags!”

George is due to leave quarantine on 29 Oct. Doctors have told him they recommend further self isolation of 14 days once he returns to his house in Thailand. 

“So far, it hasn’t been too bad”.

“My advice to people would be to fully research all the different options available to you and where possible bring a few home comforts to make the stay a little easier.

George

ASQ: Maple Hotel

Cost: 38,000 Baht

Insurance: Tune Insurance, 9,000 baht

Tip: Bring a power cable and your own cutlery!

Have you been in quarantine in Thailand? What was your experience like? Do you have any tips for others regarding quarantine?

Share your story with us by emailing [email protected]

Some photos of the food the hotel has been giving guests

12896181373715.jpg

Western breakfast

12902143084559.jpg

Fish and chips

12897643688036.jpg

Pork loin and mashed potato

12903724927498.jpg

Chicken with black pepper

12896413000028.jpg

The all important power adapter - "a must", according to George

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-10-24

Must be different at different hotels. I can assure you at the hotel I am staying at they are anything but helpful, the food is always cold although it does arrive on time and when you ask a question to get information you are told Government Guidelines. So you pay more than double normal rates for the privilege of getting a reduced service including not making up the room every day. Better stop there but I certainly won't use the hotel chain ever again. PIG IGNORANT 

49 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

only 10% of folks in the UK are following quarantine protocols (hence their mess), I'd be very leery of letting anyone in.. 

Says who?

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Additionally: No food delivery: This is more to do with those ordering street food, Som-Tam etc etc... and then requiring hospital treatment etc...  a line has to be drawn somewhere otherwise the list of what food items can and cannot be ordered will be huge. 

I have my doubts. If i owned the hotel and i had guests who had to stay indoors for 14 days i would also let them order overpriced room service all day long. Why give other restaurants access to your golden goose?

I would also ban coffee machines and water cookers brought in because of "fire hazard". Just order my watered down coffee for 50 baht a cup through room service.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

I have my doubts. If i owned the hotel and i had guests who had to stay indoors for 14 days i would also let them order overpriced room service all day long. Why give other restaurants access to your golden goose?

I would also ban coffee machines and water cookers brought in because of "fire hazard". Just order my watered down coffee for 50 baht a cup through room service.

The hotel is offering an extensive room service menu. The burgers are great here, at Maple Hotel, but getting fat now...

Reason for no alcohol,,, simple,,,We are all judged & administrated by the lowest common denominator

If you do not get it that is exactly what I mean

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Naturesway said:

This is the world with deformated idiots who use stupid reasons to rip u off of ur freedom and money 

It isn't mandatory you can stay at home, no freedom taken as everyone does this of their on free will.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, moe666 said:
2 hours ago, Naturesway said:

This is the world with deformated idiots who use stupid reasons to rip u off of ur freedom and money 

It isn't mandatory you can stay at home, no freedom taken as everyone does this of their on free will.

I can sense a faint whiff of logic behind the decision... after all once you leave the Quarantine hotel, to get to your home/eventual destination. - and it (ongoing movements) most likely would involve some form of public transports... and that means possible subsequent untraceable exposure to travelling-locals who might be already infected prior...