Uk passport renewal

I am 80 years old, living permanently in Thailand. I will need to renew my passport next year. I find the details of the application process confusing and fragmented. Is there a one off, comprehensive manual describing every step of the application process in Thailand ? At my age I am finding the current situation very daunting.

2 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

I am 80 years old, living permanently in Thailand. I will need to renew my passport next year. I find the details of the application process confusing and fragmented. Is there a one off, comprehensive manual describing every step of the application process in Thailand ? At my age I am finding the current situation very daunting.

An agent like Key Visa Service can do it all for you using the postal service etc, they do all the copying etc. They charge 5000bht plus the cost of the passport, other than that you have to go to BKK twice...

6 minutes ago, transam said:

An agent like Key Visa Service can do it all for you using the postal service etc, they do all the copying etc. They charge 5000bht plus the cost of the passport, other than that you have to go to BKK twice...

GREAT advice for the poster......think best he uses this agent.....

14 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Use an agent as many of us do. I just drop it off and sign docs and a new one comes back. They know all the ways to get it done - for prices check with a few.

21 minutes ago, transam said:

They will assist you in every way including filling out the application so all you have to do is sign it

You can call Key Visa office in Pattaya: 038 422 131 or Ann who speaks very good English on:  085 4310390

All the answers here advise using an agent. I'm not knocking that, I'll be eighty when my next passport is due and I'll very likely do so myself.

However this does not answer the O/P's core question:  ''Is there a one off, comprehensive manual describing every step of the application process in Thailand?''

Yes there is @Thingamabob. You'll find it at https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport It guides you step by step through the whole process.

Whether you choose to use an agent thereafter is down to your personal situation.

Good luck.

I have just got a new passport, hardest part of it for me was checking my e-mails.

Everything done from home, wife took my photo, went to photo shop get them print it, on her way home stopped at A.T.M. to transfer money, easy.

I think anybody wanting to have all the hassle of doing it themselves is crazy.

I applied for a new passport (reason- no pages remaining) at trendy building in November (2019). The process is very simple and lightning fast.

Make an appointment at VFS using this email address: [email protected]. In your email, send your full name and choose three different dates and times from 8:30am to 4pm, Monday to Friday. They will respond with your allocated slot. You can also just walk in now, although that comes at a premium;1,500 baht. Print out the booking confirmation letter to bring with you.

When you arrive at Trendy building, you'll need to find the help desk. This has moved from it's original location - it is very small and easy to miss. It is in the middle of the square and is only a 2 person standing booth, so you'll need to look for it a little. Show them your letter and they'll direct you where to go and cross your name off the list.

Fill in the forms and provide two photographs, I got my photos at trendy building for 200 baht. On the 5th floor, there are lots of little offices that will do all of your photocopying, assist you fill in the application forms, and take photos for you. The photo booth option is not very good here, and some people have reported having to send pictures to the UK again. Best to use the offices oon the 5th floor.

My passport was only 6 years old and i look roughly the same, so i didn't need to have the pictures co-signed. You can use a thai bank account to fill in the debit form, i used my Krungsri (yellow bank) account to pay for it

For evidence of address, i paid 200 baht to have a bank statement printed and stamped in branch (Krungsri). You can also use any mobile phone bill from the major phone carriers, or you can pay to translate a copy of your rental agreement. The bank statement is by far the easiest and quickest method. I also photocopied - in colour - every page at Trendy building, the same place where i got my photos taken. Your photocopies must be in colour

Go up to the 28th floor and within 5 minutes your application is complete. They do not take the payment the same day, so make sure you leave funds in the bank for a few days.

They do not keep your passport, when you collect your new passport, they will cut the corner off the old one. If you live up-country, you can pay a courier to collect your passport. Luckily i have a friend in Phatum Thani, he collected and posted the passport to me in Ubon so i didn't have to go myself.

For delivery to your home, you need to photocopy the ID of the person collecting your passport for you; write a note to that this person is allowed to collect your passport and sign it. Give them your old passport + the email that they will send you when your passport is ready for collection. There is no need to book a time for passport collection.

There are reports that it's taking a bit longer now, and there is an 8 week delay warning when you apply. My passport was delivered to me 11 days after applying. Very smooth, fast process to go through. Good luck to the OP!

My passport should arrive at my home tomorrow (according to tracking) via an agent that cost 4,000 baht. The whole process has taken 10 weeks though, including all the preparation and form filling, so make sure you get things ready and sent off the day after you do a 90 day report (if done in person).

If anyone wants the agents details look on facebook for Marks Sending Machine.

1 hour ago, Amusements said:

My passport should arrive at my home tomorrow (according to tracking) via an agent that cost 4,000 baht. The whole process has taken 10 weeks though, including all the preparation and form filling, so make sure you get things ready and sent off the day after you do a 90 day report (if done in person).

If anyone wants the agents details look on facebook for Marks Sending Machine.

He's a good bloke & is held in high regard by everyone that I know who have used him. He doesn't just do passports, he does furniture/ferang-sized clothing or footware/anything that cannot be found locally by anyone 'out in the sticks'.

On 10/24/2020 at 12:08 PM, colinneil said:

I have just got a new passport, hardest part of it for me was checking my e-mails.

Everything done from home, wife took my photo, went to photo shop get them print it, on her way home stopped at A.T.M. to transfer money, easy.

I think anybody wanting to have all the hassle of doing it themselves is crazy.

What was the turnaround time between submitting the application at VFS and getting the notification from VFS that is was ready for collection?

Just now, colinneil said:

It was 4 weeks

Thanks Colin. Mate of mine up here in Udon had been waiting 7 weeks now after the DIY method so just trying to get a handle on current delivery times. I assume you used an agent so 4 weeks is pretty good considering the domestic EMS'ing to/from the agent and their doing the bit at VFS.

3 minutes ago, colinneil said:

It was 4 weeks

About right. I got an email saying up to 8 weeks so went upcountry only to receive an email saying your passport is ready for collection we only keep it for 30 days!!

On 11/1/2020 at 9:11 AM, NanLaew said:

Thanks Colin. Mate of mine up here in Udon had been waiting 7 weeks now after the DIY method so just trying to get a handle on current delivery times. I assume you used an agent so 4 weeks is pretty good considering the domestic EMS'ing to/from the agent and their doing the bit at VFS.

My son's took 9 weeks and if I hadn't contacted them it would have taken longer!

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1188473-chasing-up-a-uk-passport-renewal/

Archived