Air fryer

elgenon

Sorry if wrong forum but i didn't see an electronics forum.

Anyway, i am contemplating buying an air fryer but don't know anyone who has one. I am thinking it is healthier than regular frying and not as messy. Is this true? Are you happy with yours? What brand and model do you recommend? Any tips? Any negatives?

3 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Sorry if wrong forum but i didn't see an electronics forum.

Anyway, i am contemplating buying an air fryer but don't know anyone who has one. I am thinking it is healthier than regular frying and not as messy. Is this true? Are you happy with yours? What brand and model do you recommend? Any tips? Any negatives?

There was a recent thread - maybe can find with Google search.  We just have a cheap Tesco Otto model that cost about 1k and works fine (although did have to attach rubber drive belt material to timer knob as oily fingers did not turn it well).  Easy clean up although not always needed as almost nothing in pan and 200c will kill anything.  Great FF and if you like them crisp very easy to do so.  Use daily for fish/chicken/ff lunch and family use often for baked goods as well as meats.  

image.jpeg.653710ae4f78ae33a633072d2ac3fa02.jpeg

• Like 1

We bought a Philips from Homepro for 4,495 baht, the same model from Lazada can be bought for 3,790 baht. Had it about a month now, cooks meals like sausages, bacon and chips etc fast, easy to clean. There are just the two of us, I suspect it would be difficult cooking for a family of four in one go in one.

Screenshot_2020-10-24-09-46-24-170.thumb.jpeg.be1c237c72d01c8d49ebca392cf4cf2d.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vogie said:

We bought a Philips from Homepro for 4,495 baht, the same model from Lazada can be bought for 3,790 baht. Had it about a month now, cooks meals like sausages, bacon and chips etc fast, easy to clean. There are just the two of us, I suspect it would be difficult cooking for a family of four in one go in one.

Screenshot_2020-10-24-09-46-24-170.thumb.jpeg.be1c237c72d01c8d49ebca392cf4cf2d.jpeg

Shanben make the Phillips range and under their own brand logo on Lazada the identical model can be bought for a huge saving.....refer to the earlier thread on Air fryers all the info you need is there :thumbsup:

11 minutes ago, petermik said:

Shanben make the Phillips range and under their own brand logo on Lazada the identical model can be bought for a huge saving.....refer to the earlier thread on Air fryers all the info you need is there :thumbsup:

Are you sure, it would seem that Shanghai High, presumely the makers of Shanben have been taken to court by Royal Philips for infringements rights.

Not being a lawyer I'm not sure what to make of this, what is your take on this peter?

Shanghai High denies Royal Philips's infringement claims in air fryer patent dispute

http://www.iprchn.com/cipnews/news_content.aspx?newsId=120114

Bought a Mondial 

Great for chips. 

About 900 baht from Lazada. 

Minor problems, instructions in Chinese. 

Instructions on machine - Spanish. 

UK power plug, which is Chinese (came with adaptor). 

However very pleased. 

Used every day. 

The OP needs to make sure that it has the separate, detachable inner 'basket' inside the removable 'pot'. I have seen the cheap ones at Tesco-Lotus and Amorn and they didn't have this. I can't see how it can properly circulate hot air and maybe makes it harder to clean as well?

FWIW, I bought a Haier brand air fryer from Thai Watsadu for about 1400 baht. Great for fries, sausages, bacon, pies and mini pizzas. I have also done roast spuds and brussels sprouts in it when the regular oven was busy doing other stuff.

I've had an Otto "Halogen Oven" (AKA: Turbo Oven) which works on exactly the same principal as the "Air Fryer" for 10 years and use it constantly,  not only for things normally cooked in an oven/broiler but for many things I would ordinarily fry.  

I decided to try an "Air Fryer" and purchased one on Lazada.  I found it did pretty much the things people claim it does but because of the restricted size of the cooking area, could not do many of the things that the Halogen Oven does: roasting whole chicken or other roasts, full size pizza, breads,  chicken legs/breasts or any other larger items.

The "air fryer" does have a slightly smaller footprint and is a bit easier to use, not having the large power lid to deal with but I also found it to be fussier to clean.

Decent air fryers are about twice to three times the price of a halogen oven but I found mine to be less versatile and useful than the halogen oven.  I eventually gave it away because there wasn't anything it could do that the halogen oven couldn't do so no reason to have both.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

The OP needs to make sure that it has the separate, detachable inner 'basket' inside the removable 'pot'. I have seen the cheap ones at Tesco-Lotus and Amorn and they didn't have this. I can't see how it can properly circulate hot air and maybe makes it harder to clean as well?

Ones without a basket I've seen have a sort of tray which holds the food off the base allowing air to circulate and which is removable for cleaning.  A basket reduces the cooking space considerably more than this base.

I bought a Smarthome 3.5 ltrs from Lazada, the digital version costs around 1,800 and the manual a little over a 1000 baht.

Check what size you want before buying as there is a large range from 1.9 ltrs to 5.5 ltrs. more or less.

Philips seem to have a big range of sizes but are also more expensive.

Prices in general seem to be coming down and they are everywhere now from the tv shopping channels to HomePro and Megahome pushing them like they are going out of fashion.

They do a good job on fries and chicken wings etc although my gf seems convinced that the lack of oil dripping off the food is a bad thing !! ☹️

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Kildonan said:

Philips Air frier,,, sits on a shelf gathering dust. Found the food to be too "dry",,, just my personal observation. 

You might try shorter cooking time - we like dry so extend cooking time to achieve.  

• Like 1

On 10/23/2020 at 7:38 PM, lopburi3 said:

There was a recent thread - maybe can find with Google search.  We just have a cheap Tesco Otto model that cost about 1k and works fine (although did have to attach rubber drive belt material to timer knob as oily fingers did not turn it well).  Easy clean up although not always needed as almost nothing in pan and 200c will kill anything.  Great FF and if you like them crisp very easy to do so.  Use daily for fish/chicken/ff lunch and family use often for baked goods as well as meats.  

Thanks

23 hours ago, Nero Dog said:

Bought a Mondial 

Great for chips. 

About 900 baht from Lazada. 

Minor problems, instructions in Chinese. 

Instructions on machine - Spanish. 

UK power plug, which is Chinese (came with adaptor). 

However very pleased. 

Used every day. 

well silly ,  it's only meant for spanish people who can read chinese that live in the UK.  

seems they have a selective market.

I guess the Ninja Air Fryer Max XL 5.5qt. is not available in Thailand but on Google in America it seems the best and half the price of a comparable Philips.

I'm not that price sensitive but this sounds good to me. And it's easy to clean.

On 10/24/2020 at 3:55 PM, vogie said:

cooks meals like sausages,

When I cook precooked sausages in my air fryer they puff up strangely. I've tried using a fork to relieve hot air inside the sausage, but doesn't stop them splitting the skin. Can't say that they taste bad though.

Do you, or anyone have a suggestion to stop them puffing up?

Precooked sausages still need further cooking before eating.

I like my airfryer as I can cook  hash browns in it and they turn out nice and firm, unlike frying in a pan with oil.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

When I cook precooked sausages in my air fryer they puff up strangely. I've tried using a fork to relieve hot air inside the sausage, but doesn't stop them splitting the skin. Can't say that they taste bad though.

Do you, or anyone have a suggestion to stop them puffing up?

Precooked sausages still need further cooking before eating.

I like my airfryer as I can cook  hash browns in it and they turn out nice and firm, unlike frying in a pan with oil.

No idea why they should puff up especially after pricking them, unless it's some ingrediant/preservative or something. My homemade sausages very rarely split, I pierce them with a tooth pick all the way around, about 16 pierces, temperature doesn't seem to affect them, whether on high or not.

6 minutes ago, vogie said:

No idea why they should puff up especially after pricking them, unless it's some ingrediant/preservative or something. My homemade sausages very rarely split, I pierce them with a tooth pick all the way around, about 16 pierces, temperature doesn't seem to affect them, whether on high or not.

I'll try that. I've only pricked them about 6 times.

Thanks.

On 10/24/2020 at 3:38 PM, lopburi3 said:

That looks identical to my Westinghouse

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'll try that. I've only pricked them about 6 times.

Thanks.

Just an idea, try pricking them with a toothpick, 4 holes top, bottom and both sides, maybe a fork makes the hole too close therefore may be more susceptible to splitting, gotta be worth a try.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, elgenon said:

I guess the Ninja Air Fryer Max XL 5.5qt. is not available in Thailand but on Google in America it seems the best and half the price of a comparable Philips.

I'm not that price sensitive but this sounds good to me. And it's easy to clean.

have friends in Canada that use this and say it's the best, just wish it was dual voltage..

On 10/24/2020 at 9:53 AM, NE1 said:

I prefer the glass oveny sort of thing , you can see what is happening without opening the lid to see if stuff is done.

its a different beast, warm up kfc - like just bought, just cooked some bacon for a roll- perfect, chips from potato- perfect about 10/15 mins, roast spuds, anything that you cooked in a fry pan other than liquid, cook in the air fryer, no oil no mess, 2 different types, one with a drawer only, the other with a basket inside the drawer, get the biggest you can.