Pattaya bursting: Upbeat report shows crowds visiting for long weekend

rooster59

4 hours ago, Oldie said:

Can confirm this. Was at this Beach Road section in front of the Central Mall yesterday Sunday evening. Many people were on the Beach Road where these stalls were. And a lot were sitting on the Beach despite darkness. 

You wpukd to living there the first sign of any life form lol. But a waste of time 

On 10/24/2020 at 10:37 PM, Golden Triangle said:

So just how exactly is pronounced ? I hear Brits, Americans, Aussies, kiwi's, Irish in fact most English speaking nations call it Pattaya, even the guy on the radio and some of the local TV stations, so JAFO let us into your privileged world and let us all know where we have been going oh so wrong.

PAT AAAY YAAA ???????? Who gives a monkey's.

No-one pronounces it like that, the know nothings usually come out with

Pat - ay - a

or

Pat - eye - a

As far as I've seen, there are at least 3 ways to spell and pronounce the name. I've seen it 3 different ways on on official highway signs as well. (Kind of like how there's a whack of ways to spell/say Soi Boon kan chana, depending on which street sign you look at or google maps.)

Pattaya = Pa taa ya

Phattaya = Pat taa ya

Patthaya = Pat Tee ya

However, it seems that pretty much everyone in the country (that I've encountered) knows exactly where I'm referring to, no matter how I pronounce it.

As most gov't signs use "Pattaya", I'd say the first pronunciation is probably the more "correct" version but it's probably also subject to different pronunciations depending on the origin of the speaker.

39 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

As far as I've seen, there are at least 3 ways to spell and pronounce the name. I've seen it 3 different ways on on official highway signs as well. (Kind of like how there's a whack of ways to spell/say Soi Boon kan chana, depending on which street sign you look at or google maps.)

Pattaya = Pa taa ya

Phattaya = Pat taa ya

Patthaya = Pat Tee ya

However, it seems that pretty much everyone in the country (that I've encountered) knows exactly where I'm referring to, no matter how I pronounce it.

As most gov't signs use "Pattaya", I'd say the first pronunciation is probably the more "correct" version but it's probably also subject to different pronunciations depending on the origin of the speaker.

As with most other words in Thailand if the pronunciation is not 100% correct, you will not be understood. Of course in Pattaya they are used to it so people get away with it. 

Try telling them In the Nakhon that you are a ferrang from Patt - eye - a and it won't mean much. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rott said:

As with most other words in Thailand if the pronunciation is not 100% correct, you will not be understood. Of course in Pattaya they are used to it so people get away with it. 

Try telling them In the Nakhon that you are a ferrang from Patt - eye - a and it won't mean much. 

True. Problem is, even though it may be pronounced several ways in Thai, the average farang who knows nothing about Thai pronunciation--and doesn't want to know--will use none of them but some vile English variant. It's one way the girls know who's more likely FOB, anyway. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2020 at 5:52 PM, newnative said:

And, when were those 7 years?  Any time recently?  I invite you back some holiday weekend to take a look at the north Pattaya Beach area--which has been totally transformed in the last few years, along with the beach.  We have no international tourists right now yet on holiday weekends, and to a lesser extent regular weekends,  the large hotels in north Pattaya Beach are mostly booked.  Dusit, Cape Dara, Mytt, Mercure, Amari, Holiday Inn, Ozo, A-01, Grande Centre Point, Siam@Siam, and others, plus some of the smaller hotels.  Who is filling all those rooms?   Mostly domestic Thai tourists.  Sure, we still get your Thais 'in the family pickup' coming to the beach for the day--and, happy to have them--but they are not the ones keeping the hotels open.

1 year ago and don't bother. I speak Thai and trained in several Thai boxing camps over the last 13 years. Dreamer there starving

On 10/26/2020 at 1:34 AM, rott said:

No-one pronounces it like that, the know nothings usually come out with

Pat - ay - a

or

Pat - eye - a

Just Patts for me. Seems to work. Otherwise Nongprue but the prue is a killer.

Edited by polpott

On 10/26/2020 at 9:01 AM, Kerryd said:

It is disrespectful and the Thais do not like it.

The proper pronunciation should be based on the people and country of origin, not what foreigners decide in their mind what to say.

Most British say it incorrectly.

What if people came to London and called it Loondan?

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, tomauasia said:

1 year ago and don't bother. I speak Thai and trained in several Thai boxing camps over the last 13 years. Dreamer there starving

Okay.  You haven't been here in a year--a lot can happen in a year and don't we all now know  it.  I actually live in north Pattaya Beach.  Perhaps I might be a better observer of what is now happening in my neck of the woods on holiday weekends than you.  I'm curious, though, how  training in Thai boxing camps helps you determine what's happening now on holiday weekends in Pattaya.  Just a guess but I think the Thais filling all the north Pattaya Beach hotel rooms on holiday weekends are mostly from Bangkok and probably few are boxers.

Edited by newnative
typo
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

It is disrespectful and the Thais do not like it.

The proper pronunciation should be based on the people and country of origin, not what foreigners decide in their mind what to say.

Most British say it incorrectly.

What if people came to London and called it Loondan?

As I know it the Thai pronunciation is

Pat a yar. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. 

French people say Londres, not sure about others but I doubt that it is Landan. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, newnative said:

Okay.  You haven't been here in a year--a lot can happen in a year and don't we all now know  it.  I actually live in north Pattaya Beach.  Perhaps I might be a better observer of what is now happening in my neck of the woods on holiday weekends than you.  I'm curious, though, how  training in Thai boxing camps helps you determine what's happening now on holiday weekends in Pattaya.  Just a guess but I think the Thais filling all the north Pattaya Beach hotel rooms on holiday weekends are mostly from Bangkok and probyably few are boxers.

Give it a rest. I speak to Thais in Pattaya it's a starving ghost town. Go ask the business owners. How they feel about Thai tourism lol. Cheap Charlie's. Do they send money to Thai gf family and spend money in bars. They are there subsidized. Cheap Charlie's. 

Pattaya wants western tourists back and Paryut and the five clan gone. Next

• Thanks 1

On 10/25/2020 at 4:52 PM, newnative said:

We have no international tourists right now yet on holiday weekends, and to a lesser extent regular weekends,  the large hotels in north Pattaya Beach are mostly booked.  Dusit, Cape Dara, Mytt, Mercure, Amari, Holiday Inn, Ozo, A-01, Grande Centre Point, Siam@Siam, and others, plus some of the smaller hotels.  Who is filling all those rooms?   Mostly domestic Thai tourists.  Sure, we still get your Thais 'in the family pickup' coming to the beach for the day--and, happy to have them--but they are not the ones keeping the hotels open.

Naklua has always been a BKK crowd favorite. Makes sense when you drive down the 7, then Nua and off to Naklua. Pattaya has always been a bit segregated: Chinese - South Jomthien, Russians - North Jomthien, Germans - Lower Naklua, French - Around tukcom, Norwegians - South of Pratumnak, etc.Not sure where the Brits hang in, Darkside?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomauasia said:

Give it a rest. I speak to Thais in Pattaya it's a starving ghost town. Go ask the business owners. How they feel about Thai tourism lol. Cheap Charlie's. Do they send money to Thai gf family and spend money in bars. They are there subsidized. Cheap Charlie's. 

Pattaya wants western tourists back and Paryut and the five clan gone. Next

Of course Pattaya is hurting--nobody said it isn't.  I was responding to your comment  that only Thai families in pickups go to the beach.  North Pattaya Beach, where I am, is seeing numbers of Thais coming to Pattaya on weekends, especially holiday weekends.  With no international travel, they are traveling domestically.  They are coming in enough numbers to keep most of the large hotels in my area open, and some of the small ones, helping to employ some of the many workers who have been laid off.  But, yes, there are many closed businesses everywhere.

I saw the same thing when my partner and I visited Chiang Mai a month ago.  The hotel we stayed at was one of the larger, nicer ones and it was fully booked on the weekend.  We talked to some of the guests and they were from Bangkok, there for the weekend.  Last week we visited the River Kwai area and it was gratifying to see that the hotel we stayed at was also almost full--mostly Thais with a few farang.   Domestic tourism is not enough by any means for all three areas that depend on tourists but it is helping some.  

18 hours ago, newnative said:

Of course Pattaya is hurting--nobody said it isn't.  I was responding to your comment  that only Thai families in pickups go to the beach.  North Pattaya Beach, where I am, is seeing numbers of Thais coming to Pattaya on weekends, especially holiday weekends.  With no international travel, they are traveling domestically.  They are coming in enough numbers to keep most of the large hotels in my area open, and some of the small ones, helping to employ some of the many workers who have been laid off.  But, yes, there are many closed businesses everywhere.

I saw the same thing when my partner and I visited Chiang Mai a month ago.  The hotel we stayed at was one of the larger, nicer ones and it was fully booked on the weekend.  We talked to some of the guests and they were from Bangkok, there for the weekend.  Last week we visited the River Kwai area and it was gratifying to see that the hotel we stayed at was also almost full--mostly Thais with a few farang.   Domestic tourism is not enough by any means for all three areas that depend on tourists but it is helping some.  

Nobody cares about the useless Thai tourists. Wake up 

Cheap Charlie's and they are not even close to what Pattaya was. Prayut must stop his China ass licking program or we prefer he resigns and takes all the convicts with him.