Friend's mercy dash proves in vain as driver killed in broken down car

rooster59

Friend's mercy dash proves in vain as driver killed in broken down car

crash.JPG

Image: Daily News

Police and rescue services that arrived on the Bangkok ring road (Route 9) yesterday found an Isuzu D-Max carrying fruit smashed up and a Toyota Wish in the middle of the road. 

The collision happened in the Sai Mai area near a rise to a bridge. 

The driver of the D-Max Theerawat, 64, suffered injuries to both knees and chest pains. He said he had been to market and was going to Bangkapi. He was travelling in the central lane then went to overtake before colliding with the Wish that was parked on the right side of the highway.

He was taken to Phayathai Nawamin Hospital. 

Dead in the passenger seat of the Wish was a 46 year old man. 

A friend of the deceased said that he had called him after saying that he had hit a barrier and suffered a flat tire 

He arrived on the scene and was attempting to direct traffic away from the stricken vehicle when the collision occurred.

His friend was sitting in the car waiting for breakdown rescue services to arrive.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-10-24

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Where possible, never stay in a broken down vehicle on the side of the road. 

That most basic of safety measures is taught us early on (in the UK anyway). 

Why is it that Thailand fails in its most basic care of its citizens? - is there no duty of care placed on the government to at least teach its citizens basic safety measures?. 

When a whole nation can wear masks in the matter of weeks, why can’t they wear helmets, seatbelts, not ride on pavements and not speed through U-Turn junctions etc....  ?

Why can’t Thailand play road safety information at key times between TV shows?? it's a basic measure and navigates towards mitigating a major problem. 

We all remember (in the UK) the ‘Don’t dazzle, dip your headlights’ campaign, we were all taught to cross the road as kids (green cross code)...  It would be very easy for Thailand to implement road safety education at key times between TV shows.

Why don’t they do it??? the answer is obvious. Those in positions of decision making power don’t care enough about the problem. 

I asked my Mrs that knows everything she told me it boils down to costs of advertising ! you better believe it !!!!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

What a daft response - quite surprising from you NL.

If educating people of road dangers is considered ’Nanny State’... what of actual laws ?????

Do you consider speed limits an imposition on your human rights?

Perhaps you think driving licences are ’too nanny state’ NanLeaw ???   Your 'Nanny State argument’ in light of Thailands

Your suggestion implies that any attempt by the government to improve Thailands road safety and cut down the terrible death toll would be ’nanny state’ interference with people’s freedoms.

Education? Laws? Human rights?Just had a quick look out the window and we're still in Thailand.

Phew!

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not really....   we could argue all day about what Thai’s believe and how significantly they care for and morn the loss of a life. 

What we all know is that Thai’s get upset when they loose a loved one. 

The seeming lack of value on life seems more to do with a lack of education about how to prevent such issues - better education would result in less tragedy.

No Thai wants to be killed in a road accident no matter what their Buddhist beliefs regard the ‘vehicle for the soul’ are. 

The real issue at hand is that most are simply unaware of the consequences of their actions - basic education addresses this, it's a step in Thailands roads towards development and could have been taken long ago. 

I'm not arguing. Thai people, like pretty much every human being, get upset at the loss of a loved one. But then they get over it and drive like an idiot.

But it's your gong so carry on.

1 hour ago, Legendary Monkey said:

The victim's car wasn't parked at the side of the road, it was parked in the outside 'overtaking' lane.

just by looking at the Linked Article, it is not really that clear; whether the broken down vehicle was in the Right Lane, or the Right Verge? Lucky the roadway was a Divided road, otherwise the Isuzu might have caused more carnage; by playing Chicken with oncoming traffic

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, mehrdad said:

I’m so sorry 

but it’s typical isuzu drivers

Typical Isuzu with a load in the back with big wheels no exhaust and no brain and total contempt for any other mortal soul, other wise known as a t-sser

• Like 2

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

When a whole nation can wear masks in the matter of weeks, why can’t they wear helmets, seatbelts, not ride on pavements and not speed through U-Turn junctions etc....  ?

Why can’t Thailand play road safety information at key times between TV shows?? it's a basic measure and navigates towards mitigating a major problem. 

Why? Because they have lived their entire life from birth ignoring all safety measures, because they have zero common sense. The masks is a new thing and so they have learned to wear them, as opposed to ignoring other existing rules.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why is it that Thailand fails in its most basic care of its citizens? - is there no duty of care placed on the government to at least teach its citizens basic safety measures?. 

We all remember (in the UK) the ‘Don’t dazzle, dip your headlights’ campaign, we were all taught to cross the road as kids (green cross code)...  It would be very easy for Thailand to implement road safety education at key times between TV shows.

Why don’t they do it??? the answer is obvious. Those in positions of decision making power don’t care enough about the problem. 

oh damn the old duty of care thing extrapolated to cover all contingencies .  where does it all end?

8 hours ago, P Funk said:

Smoking is bad and they spend million to teach yet see the response....

But presumably the million they spend is easily covered by the money they make operating the Tobacco Authority Of Thailand.

"The Tobacco Authority of Thailand, is a Thai state enterprise and the sole legal entity permitted to produce tobacco products in the country, mostly cigarettes."

21 hours ago, rooster59 said:

A friend of the deceased said that he had called him after saying that he had hit a barrier and suffered a flat tire 

He arrived on the scene and was attempting to direct traffic away from the stricken vehicle when the collision occurred.

His friend was sitting in the car waiting for breakdown rescue services to arrive.

Sorry for the deceased but he made a fatal mistake in sitting in the car, 45 years ago when I took my driving test one of the questions was what to do if you broke down on the road...

The answer was turn on the hazard lights, vacate the vehicle and move away from it warning other drivers if possible.

zero training here lead to his death, 

20 hours ago, tracker1 said:

I asked my Mrs that knows everything she told me it boils down to costs of advertising ! you better believe it !!!!!

Yes, cost of advertising verses cost of subsequent hospital care to the country...which is greater? 
I wonder how that computes for the Covid prevention measures...no advertising, just government directives. I think the difference is that wearing a mask is simple and Thais are a bit scared of infectious illnesses. They even put plastic bags on their heads to stop “infections” from the rain. The government also give road safety “directives” as we know, but driving is a far more complicated Scenario and simple directives are not enough. Yes 

16 hours ago, Legendary Monkey said:

The victim's car wasn't parked at the side of the road, it was parked in the outside 'overtaking' lane.

Which is another problem with Thai driving, they fail to KEEP LEFT except for overtaking. If he had of been driving in the left lane when he broke down he could have easily managed to get into the emergency lane, but no not Thais they have to drive in the outside lane even blocking emergency vehicles

• Like 2

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your 4th Paragraph. Because you cannot teach stupid. The Thai people are amongst the nicest, most decent people you will ever come across. but the majority of them have such a low mentality they can never change.

The dreadful road statistics, and the amount of underage children given the keys to motorbikes by their parents proves that.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2020 at 4:52 PM, mehrdad said:

I’m so sorry 

but it’s typical isuzu drivers

Damn.  Over a decade driving my trusty Isuzu around Thailand and now I find out I am nothing special in the eyes of TV, just another idiot up there with the drivers of Fortuners, BMW, Mercedes, Camrys etc.  Gutted.