U.S. breaks daily record for coronavirus cases with over 84,000 new infections

rooster59

U.S. breaks daily record for coronavirus cases with over 84,000 new infections

By Anurag Maan

2020-10-24T035344Z_1_LYNXMPEG9N03C_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-USA.JPG

Certified nursing assistants (CNAs) Jermaine LeFlore and Shameka Johnson (right, in NFL Green Bay Packers apparel) process nasal swab samples at a drive-thru testing site outside the Southside Health Center as the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak continues in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S., October 21, 2020. REUTERS/Bing Guan

(Reuters) - The United States broke its daily record for new coronavirus infections on Friday as it reported 84,218 new cases due to outbreaks in virtually every part of the country, according to a Reuters tally.

The spike in cases comes less than two weeks before the presidential election on Nov. 3 and is hitting battleground states such as Ohio, Michigan, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. On Thursday, the United States reported a near-record 76,195 new cases.

The previous record was 77,299 new cases on July 16. At the time, hospitalizations for COVID-19 patients hit 47,000 and two weeks later deaths rose to an average of 1,200 per day.

Now, hospitalizations are over 41,000 and deaths average nearly 800 per day. Sixteen states had record one-day increases in new cases on Friday and 11 reported a record number of hospitalized COVID-19 patients.

Health experts have not pinpointed the reason for the rise but have long warned that colder temperatures driving people inside, fatigue with COVID-19 precautions and students returning to schools and colleges, could promote the spread of the virus.

The United States has the most cases in the world at 8.5 million and the most fatalities with 224,000 lives lost. The United States has reported over the past week an average of 60,000 new cases per day, the highest seven-day average since early August.

The Midwest has been the epicenter of the latest surge but infections are rising nationwide.

The Northeast reported an 83% increase in cases in the past month. New cases have doubled in Connecticut, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and New Jersey in the past four weeks as compared to the prior four weeks, according to a Reuters analysis.

Western states including Montana, New Mexico and Wyoming have reported a 200% increase in cases in the past four weeks when compared with the previous four weeks.

(Reporting by Anurag Maan in Bengaluru; Editing by Lisa Shumaker)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-10-24

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

The current surge is considerably more widespread than the waves from last summer and spring. The unprecedented geographic spread of the current surge makes it more dangerous, with experts warning it could lead to dire shortages of medical staff and supplies. Already, hospitals are reporting shortfalls of basic drugs needed to treat covid-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus.

And it’s not simply a matter of increased testing identifying more cases. Covid-19 hospitalizations increased in 38 states over the past week. The number of deaths nationally has crested above 1,000 in recent days.

More than 170 counties across 36 states were designated rapidly rising hotspots, according to an internal federal report produced Thursday for officials at the Department of Health and Human Services and obtained by The Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/10/23/covid-us-spike-cases/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, GinBoy2 said:

This a perplexing question, 'what if'.

- link to WaPost article ---- 

And I would like to read that article ..... However .......My wifi Co has blocked The Washington Post (along with others) for a month now.     ????    

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

- link to WaPost article ---- 

And I would like to read that article ..... However .......My wifi Co has blocked The Washington Post (along with others) for a month now.     ????    

Use a proxy server.  Widely used these days 

2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

This a perplexing question, 'what if'.

I just posted this graph over in the thread regarding Macron's comments.

The mortality ratio is what you need to look at. I took US, France, Sweden and the UK. You can play with the data yourself and pull more countries.

https://ourworldindata.org/mortality-risk-covid?country=USA~FRA~SWE~GBR

Covid deaths.jpg

Don't think so. Did you notice this advisory on the graph?

Case fatality rate of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic

The Case Fatality Rate (CFR) is the ratio between confirmed deaths and confirmed cases. During an outbreak of a pandemic the CFR is a poor measure of the mortality risk of the disease. We explain this in detail at  OurWorldInData.org/Coronavirus

Here's the precise link: https://ourworldindata.org/covid-mortality-risk

Edited by placeholder

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The number of active cases hovered around 2.5 million in America for some months. It is now at 2.8 million, and I suspect it is accelerating as winter comes.

Unfortunately, the virus is not selective for idiocy. Those maskless people attending Trump rallies are no more likely to die of the virus than those that don't.

America is a giant petri dish, with plenty of political nutrient.

So if America infection is up 20% in the recent week with no economic shutdown, what does that make European countries that are up 100+ % in infections, and also locked down and destroyed what was left of their pitiful economies.  No need to list them, they know who they are.  I would call that a 'super-idiot' policy.  Take a note that the virus does not follow anyone's rules. ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

So if America infection is up 20% in the recent week with no economic shutdown, what does that make European countries that are up 100+ % in infections, and also locked down and destroyed what was left of their pitiful economies.  No need to list them, they know who they are.  I would call that a 'super-idiot' policy.  Take a note that the virus does not follow anyone's rules. ????

Just to point out to you where I live there is no lock downs nobody wears a mask no infection

for over 5 months and the economy is thriving. Happy now?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

Right. Europe's economies are destroyed.  How do you come up with such ridiculous ideas?

Unprecedented damage. Read the IMF.

https://www.imf.org/en/Publications/REO/EU/Issues/2020/10/19/REO-EUR-1021

The coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic is exacting a severe social and economic toll on Europe. By mid-October 2020, more than 240,000 people have lost their lives in Europe, while nearly 7 million people are estimated to have been infected with the virus...

Real GDP fell by about 40 percent in the second quarter of 2020 (annualized quarter-over-quarter), with deeper contraction in advanced Europe, ...

And with new infections nearing double that of the US, it will get worse.