marriage visa - how long money in bank account after the initial 2 months ?

Hi,

On monday I have to go to the immigration again after getting a 30 day stamp (in red color) into my passport when I applied for my marriage visa a month ago.

Immigration came to take pictures already after the application at my house so I expect that I get the 1 year marriage visa on monday ? I still got the 400k in the bank but would like to invest it somewhere else as soon as possible.

Before going on monday I would like to know how others here handle their 400k deposit yearly ? Do you keep it in the bank all year around or have it just sit in the bank 2 months prior to your application every year ?

Then when 90 day reporting do I need to show my bank book again ?

thank you ????

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

After getting your one year extension stamp done in your passport there is no requirement to keep the 400k baht in the anymore until you top up your account 2 months prior to your next extension.

Surely that depends on your local Imm' office. There have been reports on TV saying they require you to show the 400,000 still in when they issue the year extension.

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Surely that depends on your local Imm' office. There have been reports on TV saying they require you to show the 400,000 still in when they issue the year extension.

I wrote this. 

5 minutes ago, overherebc said:

After getting your one year extension stamp done in your passport

That is done after the under consideration period.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, overherebc said:

The OP knew that the 400k is required to remain during the under consideration period.

This should be done regardless of which IMM office you deal with.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I wrote this. 

That is done after the under consideration period.

Yes, I've just done it and I wasn't asked to show the 400,000. I had the updated bank book in my pocket but it wasn't asked for when they put the one year extension in my passport.

I have seen posts on TV that some offices ask for it, some offices don't.

40 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Yes, I've just done it and I wasn't asked to show the 400,000. I had the updated bank book in my pocket but it wasn't asked for when they put the one year extension in my passport.

I have seen posts on TV that some offices ask for it, some offices don't.

And so your recommendation would be??

Perhaps you had easy going io on particular day. Don't confuse advice. 

If you doing the marriage thing with "under consideration" then keep the 400k in bank until you receive stamp. 

End of.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

If you doing the marriage thing with "under consideration" then keep the 400k in bank until you receive stamp. 

End of.

All I would suggest is 'ask your local Imm' office'.

9 hours ago, overherebc said:

The offices that want it and that do check for it on or before or after the report back date to get the stamp normally inform people of the requirement.

I have seen reports in the past of immigration checking the balance in the bank during the under consideration period and contacting the applicant about it if the balance was below 400k baht.

#Ubonjoe,

Is it actually stated in the orders anywhere, that, for marriage extension, the B400K MUST remain in your bank during the "under consideration period" ? (Unlike the retirement situation which clearly states the requirements ). 

I've never done it and PT immigration never asks about it on receiving the final 1yr stamp!

Just curious .

3 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Is it actually stated in the orders anywhere, that, for marriage extension, the B400K MUST remain in your bank during the "under consideration period" ? (Unlike the retirement situation which clearly states the requirements ).

It is not mentioned in the immigration orders. But many office are now wanting it to be in the bank until you get the extension stamp.

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:
17 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

It is not mentioned in the immigration orders. But many office are now wanting it to be in the bank until you get the extension stamp.

A similar experience here. Last week I applied for my Non-Immigration O extension (based on Marriage).

I had >400k seasoned in my account. I had to update my bank book to the same day (previous day was not accepted). 

I was told that I’d need to bring my Bank Book back with me at the end of the ‘under consideration period’.

No one mentioned that I’d need to keep the balance >400k - but I’m doing that anyway, no point in taking the chance. 

Thus it seems that the >400k is required for 3 months: 2 Months prior to the application and over the 1 Month under consideration. 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thus it seems that the >400k is required for 3 months: 2 Months prior to the application and over the 1 Month under consideration. 

Only at some offices since all of them do not ask to see the bank book when you go back for your stamp.

I think they might allow a small amount removed to live on for the 30 days. What they are looking for is it being taken out as soon as you apply for the extension.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, fullofmax said:

Hi,

On monday I have to go to the immigration again after getting a 30 day stamp (in red color) into my passport when I applied for my marriage visa a month ago.

Immigration came to take pictures already after the application at my house so I expect that I get the 1 year marriage visa on monday ? I still got the 400k in the bank but would like to invest it somewhere else as soon as possible.

Before going on monday I would like to know how others here handle their 400k deposit yearly ? Do you keep it in the bank all year around or have it just sit in the bank 2 months prior to your application every year ?

Usually have >400k in the account anyway, ultimately its up to do you do what you want with your money, but I’d keep a very close eye on the dates etc or any regulation changes if you are going to allow it to drop below 400k.

23 hours ago, fullofmax said:

Then when 90 day reporting do I need to show my bank book again ?

I’ve been asked to bring my Bank Book back at the end of the Under Consideration Period - thus I assume they want to see >400k in the account.

--------

On another note: I usually get on with stuff myself, no need for my Wife to be at my side etc when dealing visas and other bureaucratic nonsense. Fortunately my Wife was with me when I applied for my first ever Non-Imm O extension. 

My Wife was asked a lot of ‘by the book’ questions and had to sign a statement.

I had no idea that it was a requirement for our Wife to be present when applying for the First Non-Imm O extension. 

So... For newbies - First time Non-Imm O extension - Take your Wife along. 

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:
6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Only at some offices since all of them do not ask to see the bank book when you go back for your stamp.

I think they might allow a small amount removed to live on for the 30 days. What they are looking for is it being taken out as soon as you apply for the extension.

This was at Immigration Division 1 Chaengwattana.

I’m certainly not taking the risk by allowing the balance to drop below 400K baht - I’ve learned to never give anyone in any official position (here or in any other country) any wiggle room to deny something. 

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Usually have >400k in the account anyway, ultimately its up to do you do what you want with your money, but I’d keep a very close eye on the dates etc or any regulation changes if you are going to allow it to drop below 400k.

I’ve been asked to bring my Bank Book back at the end of the Under Consideration Period - thus I assume they want to see >400k in the account.

--------

On another note: I usually get on with stuff myself, no need for my Wife to be at my side etc when dealing visas and other bureaucratic nonsense. Fortunately my Wife was with me when I applied for my first ever Non-Imm O extension. 

My Wife was asked a lot of ‘by the book’ questions and had to sign a statement.

I had no idea that it was a requirement for our Wife to be present when applying for the First Non-Imm O extension. 

Keep bringing her along for every extension after that, year after year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Eh? It's a requirement to have your wife there every time you extend the Non Imm O for reason of marriage. No other choice.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 3:26 PM, DrJack54 said:

Hardly a significant amount of money.

Keep it year round in a dedicated bank account or live off it for shortish period.

Whether it is a significant amount or not depends on the individual and their circumstances. I'm getting very tired of these arrogant statements, which became an avalanche when the recent will they/won't they extend the amnesty threads were live. It is insignificant to some and a large sum for others who might have any number of reasons why it is so.

Some see no practical reason why they need to keep such a sum in a bank and have to produce it for the government. I, for example, can live more than comfortably on way less than 20,000 a month. I have no need to keep 400,000 in the bank and have only deposited it because I have no practical choice while borders are closed. I would have much preferred to keep my money overseas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, overherebc said:
20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

End of.

And that is exactly what I am going to do on Monday. I've read here that some offices only want the 400,000 in the bank until you file the application and others want it there until you receive the one-year extension about a month later.

The rule is that you have to have it in the bank two months before you make the application. As far as I know there is no rule that says it has to be there for three months (until you receive the extension). You are able to apply once the money has been there for two months, and in theory they shouldn't be interested in anything after that until 10 months later when you go through the whole process again. But, as we all know, each office will have their own interpretation and that is why I am going to check. Useful to know.

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The offices that want it and that do check for it on or before or after the report back date to get the stamp normally inform people of the requirement.

I have seen reports in the past of immigration checking the balance in the bank during the under consideration period and contacting the applicant about it if the balance was below 400k baht.

Immigration has access to our bank account balance at any time?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Interesting question?

Although I can imagine someone in a uniform showing a bank teller

( probably 18/20 years old and easily intimidated ) a copy of the bankbook and saying 'we need to check this'.

Nah that wouldn't happen.

Edited by overherebc
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They may have a contact number at the banks that they can call and ask what the balance is by giving them your account number the balance in the account or ask if it was more or less than 400k baht.

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:
1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They may have a contact number at the banks that they can call and ask what the balance is by giving them your account number the balance in the account or ask if it was more or less than 400k baht.

I'd guess it is going to upset a lot of people to know that, people who come from countries where such things are confidential and only shared with the tax people or in suspected cases of terrorism or money laundering. You know, fraud and serious crime. But then, this is a country where banks routinely re-use paper showing confidential info of other customers and think nothing of it.

4 hours ago, Hamus Yaigh said:
4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Eh? It's a requirement to have your wife there every time you extend the Non Imm O for reason of marriage. No other choice.

OK we asked.... and were told that it was a requirement for the wife to be present for the first extension.

To be honest, the information on this forum is generally more reliable than than any information offered by anyone in an official position such as immigration who seem capable of ‘on the spot’ decisions rather than answering any questions concerning anything beyond the immediate future. 

The information from this forum seems to be that my wife needs to be present for ‘every’ extension, not just the first. 

Does my Wife need to be present when I receive the extension at the end of the ‘under consideration’ period ?

On 10/24/2020 at 3:29 PM, ubonjoe said:

After getting your one year extension stamp done in your passport there is no requirement to keep the 400k baht in the anymore until you top up your account 2 months prior to your next extension.

UbonJoe,

FYI - Got my extension of stay 28 days after initial application as usual.  But for the first time ever, my wife had to make a deposit, update my bank book and bring copies to the IO at CW.  Just a fluke or...

Don