Income in Thailand pre-tax or after-tax?

Is there a rule in Thailand if income of employees is written in contracts as pre-tax or after-tax amount?

I.e. if someone has a salary of 50,000B per month, is that the amount before tax or after tax?

And related to that: In some application forms (i.e. bank, credit card) people have to write their income. Pre-tax or after-tax?

There might be some forma where this is clearly stated, but for sure I saw many forms which just ask for the income amount. Which one is it?

Salaries are pre-tax unless they are specifically stated as take-home (sometimes consulatancy contracts are written like that).

On forms requesting income, I've always used pre-tax too unless they specifically ask for take-home.

This not just in Thailand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

Pre-tax always looks better ... and Thailand is a country where appearances count for more than reality.

Thanks, I know it looks better. But it seems after-tax is (often) used.

I am interested if there is a kind of official answer.

On 10/24/2020 at 4:03 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Is there a rule in Thailand if income of employees is written in contracts as pre-tax or after-tax amount?

I.e. if someone has a salary of 50,000B per month, is that the amount before tax or after tax?

And related to that: In some application forms (i.e. bank, credit card) people have to write their income. Pre-tax or after-tax?

There might be some forma where this is clearly stated, but for sure I saw many forms which just ask for the income amount. Which one is it?

Always pre-tax as everywhere in the world unless you  have a contract that says otherwise (common with football players...)

Your contract of employment unless clearly stated would be pretax ,& if stated  which would make it the employers responsibility

Not sure, but in Thailand if you are paid in the country in Thai Baht then you are liable for tax unless below the threshold or as discussed above

On 10/24/2020 at 11:03 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Normal income is pre-tax – how do you don't know the individual person's tax deductions – some special contracts can be net payout, sometimes used for foreign  experts on temporary duty, and foreign performing artists. It's the same in my home country, so I would presume it's common procedure almost Worldwide.

Thanks for all your replies.

I just called two banks and asked them about their minimum requirements for certain credit cards. 

First they both just quoted numbers like 50,000 THB per month.

Then I asked if that is per-tax or after tax. One bank, or should I say one person in one bank, told me it's pre-tax. The other person from the other bank told me it's the after-tax amount...