Is On Nut a nice area to live?

TPDH

Hey

I'm moving back to Bangkok and I'm looking into what area to live in. I'm considering On Nut and I'm wondering if it's a nice area to live in? 

I used to live in Asoke but now I'm looking for an area which is mostly Thai, cheaper and more quite. Yet, still in a great location on the Sukhumvit BTS line and with nice modern condos. 

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Some time ago I checked condo prices kilometers away from where I live now, which I think about as the center of town. The prices don't get much lower until far away from the center.

For me it makes no sense to live somewhere (a little) cheaper and then traveling every day an hour or more for various reasons.

Maybe you like On Nut, but better think twice where you want to and have to go all the time.

The condo prices get lower the further away you go from lower Sukhumvit area. I think those differences are quite large.

And it depends on what you see as center. In the past year I was in the lower Sukhumvit area only 2 times. I don't really know what to do there. And I don't know anyone who works there. Most people I know are free to choose where they work. And those who do have to go to the office do not go to the lower Sukhumvit area. It is also an expensive place for companies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I saw the beginning of that video.

The guy makes a lot of assumptions with limited knowledge. 

In one video, he goes to great lengths to explain that he asked his "Thai friend" help him to pronounce Pattaya correctly. Then proceeds to butcher it. Apparently his (imaginary) "Thai friends" like to make him look dumb.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, timendres said:

OnNut has some advantages. I live on Sukhumvit 81. I have a three story townhouse in a quiet moo baan at 35,000 per month. When I see people paying 40,000+ for a shoebox condo, or 100,000+ for a condo half the size of my townhouse, I wonder if they were dropped on their head when they were a small child. I can walk to the BTS, Lotus, and Century mall. The area is occupied primarily by Thai people who work someplace else, so it is like a "bedroom community". I like the fact that not every Thai person speaks English. I like the fact that I am not being exploited everywhere I go (never been charged a "farang price" for anything). I like that the food options lean heavily Thai, although there is some decent non-Thai food options close by. On the downside, as others have mentioned, I do occasionally meet some dicey expats. If you speak no Thai at all, it can be frustrating at times. You do have to get on the BTS for the better experiences (bars, restaurants, clubs). The condo developments here tend to be a little older, and middle of the road. The worst part is dealing with the many Thai girls flirting with you.

Who pays 40k for a run down on nut condo with yesteryear facilities? You can get a brand new loft style condo 2 BTS stops later for 16k a month. Probably even less these days. 

• Confused 2

I lived in a very small condo on a small sub soi off Sukhumvit soi 50, several minutes walk from the On Nut BTS station. I stayed in that condo for 6 months back in 2010. Honestly, I really didn't like it. I found the local people less welcoming and less friendly and I found the foreigners in the area to be really downmarket, the type who would complain loudly about food court prices going up by 5 baht. The area was up and coming then with far fewer modern condo buildings around the BTS station than there are now so for sure, the area has changed.

I stayed in several areas in Bangkok from lower Sukhumvit to Onut to Emporium area to Pathumwan to Yannawa and Onut was the one area I just didn't like, hence I left when the lease came up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, madmen said:

Why do so many TV posters assume everyone must live on the outskirts of Bangkok and must get cheap housing? 

There are plenty of expats who have money and want a lifestyle in the heart of the action . I've been lower suk 14 years and like my buddies here would never contemplate living on the outskirts of Bangkok especially with the overcrowded BTS system which are full of English teachers heading into Asoke Nana for happy hour ???? ????

Personally I agree with you. But, as usual, it depends.

If I would have kids then I think having a house with garden in a quiet soi would be nice. It all depends on what people want (and can afford).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Estrada said:

Onnuch is a long road and stretches as far as Chachoengsao. I live opposite Seacon Square and Paradise shopping malls as well as the large Deleted's Park, not far from Onnuch junction with Srinakarin rd. It has the famous Talad Rot Fai with bars, entertainment, restaurants, markets and museum. It takes me 30 minutes to get to Asoke. You can rent here from around B6,000/month for a 2-3 bedrooms older house or 1 bedroom condo. Next year the Yellow Line Monorail will open which stops next to Seacon square. If you want a low cost apartment I recommend 93 building on Soi 93 Sukhumvit which is a furnished one bed with kitchenette, shower room, TV and microwave and maid service. As short walk from local laundry services and the BTS Bangchak station. They charge around B6,000/month.

- If one wishes one can get a white Songtaew from Seacon to Phrakhanong. 8 baht.

- Soi 81 is pleasant enough as are all the 80's

On Nut is convenient. Not sure if one would call it ideal. BTS is getting overcrowded and all the tourists have gone! On Nut is neither downtown or in the outskirts.

At present anywhere south of Bearing on BTS is 15 baht. So there are places like Pak Nam/Samut Phrakan etc. Small town but with access.

Samut Phrakan has a smaller immigration dept. than Chaeng Wattana. So does Nontuburi which also has BTS and Tesco/Lotus etc.

What about somewhere like Soi8, Soi10? A mate of mine live in Trendy Building on Soi 13 he never complained about the location. 

21 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

- If one wishes one can get a white Songtaew from Seacon to Phrakhanong. 8 baht.

- Soi 81 is pleasant enough as are all the 80's

On Nut is convenient. Not sure if one would call it ideal. BTS is getting overcrowded and all the tourists have gone! On Nut is neither downtown or in the outskirts.

At present anywhere south of Bearing on BTS is 15 baht. So there are places like Pak Nam/Samut Phrakan etc. Small town but with access.

Samut Phrakan has a smaller immigration dept. than Chaeng Wattana. So does Nontuburi which also has BTS and Tesco/Lotus etc.

What about somewhere like Soi8, Soi10? A mate of mine live in Trendy Building on Soi 13 he never complained about the location

When I was first considering moving to Bangkok, I booked a month at the Trendy Building on AirBnB & had to leave after a week as the pollution around there was getting on my chest (Didn't help that there were some noisy tenants on the floor I was staying on + I could hear the guy next door watching TV at 7am despite what seemed to be pretty thick walls).

It could have been that I was a little run down as this trip came at the end of a marathon travel trip that took me from Malaysia-UK-Australia-New Zealand-Back to Australia before getting to Bangkok & I've never had problems staying around lower Suk before but that experience put me off living in that area. 

As per my previous post, I enjoy living in On Nut (Despite not being an English Teacher & having both Nuts) though am considering leaving Bangkok next year & if I stay am tempted to try out a different area (some of the Condos near the River around the Sathorn area look interesting). 

Edited by Mike Teavee

In the US, the term is:. Drive till you qualify.  In BKK is seems to be ride the BTS till you can find cheap rent.  Even moreso with the farang.  I have shopped for condos here off and on for years, starting when On Nut was the end of the line.  LPN were selling new condos at one million, in 2005 700 m from On Nut.  That was half of Trendy prices.  I didn't like the vibe out there...and the moto taxis are extra nasty out there.  I would rather be in Huay Kwang/Suttisan etc..the sois have more charm.  And there is even more culture in the different river communities.  That is where the cities roots are..the emergence of Asok  as the center of the universe was kind of an anomaly, and there is a trend of a shift back to the river.  It is almost all Thai once you get north of the fort/KZR area.  It all depends on where you need to be.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

When I was first considering moving to Bangkok, I booked a month at the Trendy Building on AirBnB & had to leave after a week as the pollution around there was getting on my chest (Didn't help that there were some noisy tenants on the floor I was staying on + I could hear the guy next door watching TV at 7am despite what seemed to be pretty thick walls).

It could have been that I was a little run down as this trip came at the end of a marathon travel trip that took me from Malaysia-UK-Australia-New Zealand-Back to Australia before getting to Bangkok & I've never had problems staying around lower Suk before but that experience put me off living in that area. 

As per my previous post, I enjoy living in On Nut (Despite not being an English Teacher & having both Nuts) though am considering leaving Bangkok next year & if I stay am tempted to try out a different area (some of the Condos near the River around the Sathorn area look interesting). 

Sathorn congestion is just as bad as Sukhumvit, it tends to be very upmarket, and it can be unusually quiet on the weekends.  There is a cheap hotel called Sathorn Saint way back behind St. Louis..great rooftop pool.  It has monthly rentals, too.  For the money, I would take it over On Nut, but look in other river areas like Dusit, Thewes, Bang Pho...

• Like 1