Is On Nut a nice area to live?

TPDH

2 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

You got to be NUTS to live in the pollution of Bangkok. Cancer, stroke, heart attack etc. are really consequences.

BKK is 10% of the population and half the GDP.  I find the river areas to be a little better for air.  There are some great routes to walk if you search a little, that are as good as any I found in five years in CM.  Nimmanhaemin is as bad as it gets for walking in CM, and that is a very popular area.  

• Like 1

I've been living there for six years. I rent a house and hardly see another foreigner. Have no problems with the neighbours. My area seems pretty safe. Never had any security problems. 3BB fibre is fast enough. Close enough top everything. 

3 hours ago, moontang said:

Sathorn congestion is just as bad as Sukhumvit, it tends to be very upmarket, and it can be unusually quiet on the weekends.  There is a cheap hotel called Sathorn Saint way back behind St. Louis..great rooftop pool.  It has monthly rentals, too.  For the money, I would take it over On Nut, but look in other river areas like Dusit, Thewes, Bang Pho...

The name of that serviced apartment/hotel is Sathorn Saint View.

Edited by Legendary Monkey

1 hour ago, jobsworth said:

The NGO network with its infinite supply of cash is busy buying condos in On Nut, which they fill with street people from the west.

That is what gives foreigners a bad name quote.

"They don't wash and they smell."

There has been a community of expats from california using an attorney and getting disability payments for anxiety, etc., also a few from Oregon, but it is much more difficult to do it in other states..there are more regular appointments..but California might have figured out it is cheaper to give them 650 a month to stay the heck away.  Most don't have any other money..some go to Cambo for the usual reasons.  Never heard of us got agencies buying condos, here, but the Germans might do it.

3 minutes ago, Legendary Monkey said:

The name of the apartment block/hotel (?) is Sathorn Saint View.

Correct...7000 per month and 7 per elect unit, which bites..but the sky is the limit on some of the rents around there..English teachers there, too.  

• Like 1

Just now, moontang said:

Correct...7000 per month and 7 per elect unit, which bites..but the sky is the limit on some of the rents around there..English teachers there, too.  

And some snowbirds, and young retirees.  Seemed friendly and genuine for an expat community.

9 minutes ago, Legendary Monkey said:

I lived there in '95/96 and, unfortunately, the pool is little more than the size of a large jacuzzi!

Yes, small pool, but you could probably have it mostly to yourself on weekdays.  Good place to do beers up there, as well as the tables out front.  I recall a lower level that is half subterranean....would save a lot on elect.  Nice hotel for around 400, it was a welcome relief after a few days in a dodgy soi Nana dump for about the same price.

Yes. Have had 3 different apartments on 2 different Sois in the area. Affordable with E-Z access to BTS and Ekamai Bus Depot + all sorts of dining and shopping. Depends on what you're looking for, but it's a fine choice for affordable, convenient living. 

• Like 2

We own a condo about 300 meters from BigC, so maybe 500 from Suk. It's great: clean, well-maintained, adequate pool and fitness. 

There's a ramshackle slum next door. The inhabitants of the slum are harmless, but they like dogs a bit too much. Walking past it, you have to dodge doggie doo, and it smells, well, like that. 

One lit match would improve the area. 

• Confused 1

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks

From the webpage: Duplex 1 bed 1 bath 30 sqm

That's about two times 3*5m stacked on top of each other.

No, that sounds definitely too small for me.

30 sqm is the bottom floor.  The total is 43ish

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

We own a condo about 300 meters from BigC, so maybe 500 from Suk. It's great: clean, well-maintained, adequate pool and fitness. 

There's a ramshackle slum next door. The inhabitants of the slum are harmless, but they like dogs a bit too much. Walking past it, you have to dodge doggie doo, and it smells, well, like that. 

One lit match would improve the area. 

you need to look for more expensive accomodation

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

On Nut has plenty going for it, a wealth of both Thai and international restaurants, supermarkets etc

One plus is that you’ll avoid the idiots who think anywhere with foreign residents is a ‘farang ghetto’.... 

Not anywhere. Just On Nut. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, madmen said:

Why do so many TV posters assume everyone must live on the outskirts of Bangkok and must get cheap housing? 

There are plenty of expats who have money and want a lifestyle in the heart of the action . I've been lower suk 14 years and like my buddies here would never contemplate living on the outskirts of Bangkok especially with the overcrowded BTS system which are full of English teachers heading into Asoke Nana for happy hour ???? ????

22 hours ago, madmen said:

Why do so many TV posters assume everyone must live on the outskirts of Bangkok and must get cheap housing? 

There are plenty of expats who have money and want a lifestyle in the heart of the action . I've been lower suk 14 years and like my buddies here would never contemplate living on the outskirts of Bangkok especially with the overcrowded BTS system which are full of English teachers heading into Asoke Nana for happy hour ???? ????

You have hit an interesting point there @madmen. There is this assumption that everyone wants things 'cheap' in Thailand. This is especially true in the retiree community who want to stretch out their pensions or savings. There is so much online activity about retiring cheap in Thailand, especially on YouTube. Is it any wonder that retires get a bad image - and get to the back of the line to return to Thailand during this crisis? I don't think that the On Nut area is "outskirts of Bangkok" though. I'd call it East Central, and there are plenty of expensive properties that way too.

4 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Just out of curiosity whereabouts do you live? 

Lived in deep Ramkhamheang. Loved it until wife kicked me out.

Now I live in Samut Prakan close to Samrong. Hate it.

Just bought a condo on petchaburi next to Thong Lor. I prefer not to live too close to mass transit.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, moontang said:

There has been a community of expats from california using an attorney and getting disability payments for anxiety, etc., also a few from Oregon, but it is much more difficult to do it in other states..there are more regular appointments..but California might have figured out it is cheaper to give them 650 a month to stay the heck away.  Most don't have any other money..some go to Cambo for the usual reasons.  Never heard of us got agencies buying condos, here, but the Germans might do it.

The Germans don't do it.