Is On Nut a nice area to live?

TPDH

if you are ok using Bangkok's finest, (ie the Moto-Cy boys)  then you can live in central-ish Bangkok reasonably cheaply.

A friend of mine recently moved from Udom Suk (nice apartment , fairly new, short walk from bts) to an equally nice apartment , (older, but actually a bit bigger with a balcony- same rent) , but a little  way down sukhumvit soi 16 and  a fair way from Asok bts. 

So far, he loves it, a 20bt 5 minute moto-cy ride gets him to Exchange Tower and Asok bts plus all the surrounding conveniences!

He also used to bore on about not wanting to live in a "farang Ghetto". Now he is back he seems pretty happy about it! 

Edited by wordchild
  • Like 2

On 11/1/2020 at 4:04 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Container plaza on soi 50 about 100+ metres down with Cheap Charlie's bar, really good Belgian owned burger joint which does deliveries, plus other food and bar choices

I don't mean to nit pick, just trying to help anybody who wants to visit the place, but it's called Beacon Place.

Easy Burgers are awesome & the Pizza at Rolling Stone Pizza even better ???? - Both available on Grab/Food Panda if you want to try but don't want to visit... 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2020 at 4:04 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

There's a newish, large night market before Century Mall but have never been

One stop inbound at Phra Khanong is W Night Market and new Irish bar PJ O'Brien's

There's also a night market near the Tesco Lotus car park plus they've opened up a 24x7 mini mart there if you get stuck for something (I think the Macdonalds at lotus is already open 24x7) 

Oh & "Outside Corner" (Not sure what it's called) on the other side of Ideo Verve from Century is a nice place to sit & have a bit to eat... then there's the Nice Italian (Cafe di Maria)? on Soi 79 + loads of (legit) massage places down there & on Soi 77 

Oh & must mention that pints of Asahi are 89 THB all day every day at PJ O'Briens (I think pints of Singha are only 79 THB ???? 

Yeah, I really do enjoy living in On Nut & the only English Teacher's I've ever met have been the ones that taught me 35+ years ago

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I don't mean to nit pick, just trying to help anybody who wants to visit the place, but it's called Beacon Place.

Easy Burgers are awesome & the Pizza at Rolling Stone Pizza even better ???? - Both available on Grab/Food Panda if you want to try but don't want to visit... 

+1 for Easy Burger....  

We haven’t had a Best Burger thread for a while and as Bangkok evolves places come and go. Easy Burger should definitely be up there on a Top 10 list. 

As for Pizza’s - there’s a place round the corner in Phrakhaonong where Sukhumvit meets Rama IV, called Ninvie Games, it has a Wood-fired Pizza Oven - the thin crust pizza’s there are excellent. 

• Like 2

On 10/25/2020 at 1:12 PM, Don Chance said:

You got to be NUTS to live in the pollution of Bangkok. Cancer, stroke, heart attack etc. are really consequences.

Where do you live ?... Anywhere close to Top Tier hospitals ?

Pollution is often cited by those who dislike Bangkok, the same negative bias is used by those who dislike Chiang Mai and the north. 

The reality is while pollution is sometimes problem in Bangkok (usually serious for about 2-3 weeks a year) the rest of the year the air is surprisingly moderate with regards to Air Pollution (AQI) and similar to that of other major cities and with cities comes the convenience and amenities a city provides. 

That said: if cooking for yourself and living in the piece and quite of a remote Thai countryside is your thing, thats fair enough - but there are also significant compromises which may be glossed over when trying to make a point. 

Screenshot 2020-11-05 at 14.08.25.png

Screenshot 2020-11-05 at 14.09.25.png

Screenshot 2020-11-05 at 14.11.14.png

Screenshot 2020-11-05 at 14.12.12.png

Screenshot 2020-11-05 at 14.16.48.png

Screenshot 2020-11-05 at 14.20.16.png

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Where do you live ?... Anywhere close to Top Tier hospitals ?

Pollution is often cited by those who dislike Bangkok, the same negative bias is used by those who dislike Chiang Mai and the north. 

The reality is while pollution is sometimes problem in Bangkok (usually serious for about 2-3 weeks a year) the rest of the year the air is surprisingly moderate with regards to Air Pollution (AQI) and similar to that of other major cities and with cities comes the convenience and amenities a city provides. 

That said: if cooking for yourself and living in the piece and quite of a remote Thai countryside is your thing, thats fair enough - but there are also significant compromises which may be glossed over when trying to make a point. 

Are you a RE agent?  Pollution in Bangkok is horrendous From November on till the monsoon. It is seriously unhealthy to live there. I love Bangkok in fact and visit during the monsoon for weeks sometimes. 

Bangkok is 16th most polluted city in the world.

Smog is very harmful in Bangkok.