Cashing a Home Country Check

26 minutes ago, mackayae said:

What is the procedure of cashing a US check in Thailand? My daughter (living in Thailand) just received a check from the US Treasury.

My Bangkok will do it two weeks for 500 hundred bath.  If she has a US Bank she can down load their app

I has taken 185 days to receive a check UPDATE. The check is NOW in my USA Bank by their mobile app and they gave me instant access to the funds.:D:D:D As for a date. This could be a second check. There is what looks like a date upper left 08 21 20 The first one I was told was mailed out May 1 and I reported to real person as at IRS as was their computer system a piece of shyt and would not reconize me. On about July 29th I called again I got a liar that told me NO MORE CHECKS or the DEPT Card. If what I posted as the date is correct the this is a second check. BUT 1200 $ $ is in my US bank.;;money;;;;money;;;;money;;;;money;; 

Edited 8 hours ago by khwaibah

Even with the archaic US system it would likely be quicker to mail the cheque back to the US and get someone to pay it into her US account.

On the (very) rare occasions I get UK cheques I just scan and email said item to my UK bank and they process it, no need for the physical bit of paper.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Even with the archaic US system it would likely be quicker to mail the cheque back to the US and get someone to pay it into her US account.

On the rare occasions i get UK cheques I just scan and email said item to my UK bank and the process it, no need for the physical bit of paper.

Disagree. Ready post  above and get your home town banks app. NO charge better exchange rate and instate access.

• Like 1
Just now, khwaibah said:

Disagree. Ready post  above and get your home town banks app. NO charge better exchange rate and instate access.

IF her home bank can do this then yes, I agree.

Pretty well any way that avoids the Thai banking system will be quicker/cheaper.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

On the rare occasions I get UK cheques I just scan and email said item to my UK bank and they process it, no need for the physical bit of paper.

Which bank is this in the UK if you don't mind me asking?  I have cheques in the UK I haven't been able to pay in as RBS say I have to nominate someone and give them authority to pay in a cheque and YBS say cheques (or cash) cannot be paid in without a paying in book. I've other issues with other banks that won't close accounts unless I phone them ( and possibly spend 20 minutes listening to music interspersed with someone telling me I'm a valued customer).

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, DaLa said:

Which bank is this in the UK if you don't mind me asking? 

Nationwide, but do verify before opening an account, all sorts of things have been "updated" (i.e. like the forum software - made worse) since I opened my account and old accounts are grandfathered.

It has been a while since I actually did this.

EDIT Ask about "cheque imaging".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I deposited a UK cheque into Bangkok Bank just the other day

it will take up to 45 days to clear, and the fee was 430 THB.

Just take the cheque and bank book to bank, with ID ,same name

as cheque.

regards Worgeordie

45 days! Did you try that before the age of computers and Internet? it takes about 7-14 days to clear a check disregarding what bank you use.

7 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

45 days! Did you try that before the age of computers and Internet? it takes about 7-14 days to clear a check disregarding what bank you use.

Unfortunately, Thai banks take longer to clear a foreign check as they mail the check back to an intermediary bank in country XYZ to process the check.   And then they add in extra clearing time to make sure the check don't bounce.   No laws/regs in Thailand as far as I know that set maximum clearing times like we are use to in western countries.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, khwaibah said:

If she has a US Bank she can down load their app  [...]

UPDATE. The check is NOW in my USA Bank by their mobile app and they gave me instant access to the funds.:D:D

You buried the Lede. 

YES, as khwaibah says, EASIEST if you have a US Checking/Savings account to use the bank's Mobile App and deposit the check.

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I deposited a UK cheque into Bangkok Bank just the other day

it will take up to 45 days to clear, and the fee was 430 THB.

Just take the cheque and bank book to bank, with ID ,same name

as cheque.

regards Worgeordie

Bangkok Bank typically quotes a very conservative 45 days but it will probably take less.  Over the years of reading many ThaiVisa posts in actually how how long it  took for a check to clear/balance become available is typically far less than 45 days.  Bangkok Bank quotes 45 days because many times they must mail the check to an intermediary bank in country XYZ who then accomplished the cashing/clearing for Bangkok Bank.  In the posts I read around 3 weeks seems typical...and those have mostly been personal checks.   Personal checks typically take longer to clear than a government check.  And I expect it depends on which country the check was issued from.   In some case in what Bangkok Bank calls a "clean check" they will provide the cash immediately but it comes with an additional fee.

I use Kasikorn Bank here. They would not accept my US check for the $1200. You can't mail it back to the US without a high risk of it getting lost or simply being unable to track. I use Citibank in the US and they have a mobile app that one can use to make a check deposit. BUT YOU CAN'T DOWNLOAD THAT APP IN THAILAND. All you can get is Asian country versions. I finally asked my cousin, who is super computer savvy, to add the app to his phone. I gave him my acct name and password, sent him a pic of both sides of the check, and he did it for me. Took him a total of 10 minutes. And 3 minutes later when I checked online using my computer, it was in there!! What a load of <deleted> it all was..............

• Like 1
16 hours ago, mackayae said:

Monday, we will go to her BBL branch and deposit the check in her account. Will have to wait the 45 days. Have no other options since she does not have a US bank account. 

Thanks for the help.

This has been their policy for years, I used to consult for a us multinational thst isisted on paying by cheque, and this was the case every time.

When I came here 4 years ago, I brought a cashiers check from my bank in the US. I too it to Bangkok bank, main branc in Bangkok. They had no clue what it was. I was never able to cash or deposit it. I had to end up transferring via wire.

Maybe they have figured it out by now.

23 hours ago, khwaibah said:

My Bangkok will do it two weeks for 500 hundred bath.  If she has a US Bank she can down load their app

I has taken 185 days to receive a check UPDATE. The check is NOW in my USA Bank by their mobile app and they gave me instant access to the funds.:D:D:D As for a date. This could be a second check. There is what looks like a date upper left 08 21 20 The first one I was told was mailed out May 1 and I reported to real person as at IRS as was their computer system a piece of shyt and would not reconize me. On about July 29th I called again I got a liar that told me NO MORE CHECKS or the DEPT Card. If what I posted as the date is correct the this is a second check. BUT 1200 $ $ is in my US bank.;;money;;;;money;;;;money;;;;money;; 

Edited 8 hours ago by khwaibah

Good for you. After going through the steps and repeated calls to IRS ... I still wait.

• Like 2

Interesting thing about Thailand and the US.  They both hate US-Thai marriages equally.

Married to a Thai.  File taxes with a Thai. 
"No check for you!" 

No big deal.  As a US veteran (who the US has no respect for either) I took the word "Fair" out of my vocabulary long before I ever left bootcamp.

• Confused 1
4 hours ago, PeterA said:

When I came here 4 years ago, I brought a cashiers check from my bank in the US. I too it to Bangkok bank, main branc in Bangkok. They had no clue what it was. I was never able to cash or deposit it. I had to end up transferring via wire.

Maybe they have figured it out by now.

It difficult to believe that they call themselves "banks."  Or perhaps they have one set of rules for the international business community and corporations and another set for the commoners.  That would not surprise me. 

18 hours ago, connda said:

Interesting thing about Thailand and the US.  They both hate US-Thai marriages equally.

Married to a Thai.  File taxes with a Thai. 
"No check for you!" 

No big deal.  As a US veteran (who the US has no respect for either) I took the word "Fair" out of my vocabulary long before I ever left bootcamp.

My wife is Thai and the $1200 stimulus was deposited in my US bank account