if you're on a long-time visa, do you have to become a doormat?

I specify 'long-time' visas because people on such visas (have usually spent/deposited a lot of money here and/or have loved ones here) typically have quite a bit to lose if they get in trouble in this country. 

I'm not old enough for retirement visa, and I'm thinking about maybe getting married officially in the future. But part of me hesitates for the reason that....i fear any little dispute with someone  (a person driving recklessly on sidewalks, blatantly cutting in line, etc.)  can risk a situation whereby there's police involvement and possible charges and expulsion...and then i might lose whatever i've spent/deposited here (along with my beloved). 

Is there a high chance of getting banished from this country over a two-bit fistfight? 

Or are you usually going to be able to avoid getting banished unless you're clearly up to no good (involved with criminal elements) ?

I have no interest in the places where trouble often happens (bars, clubs, snooker joints, etc).  But people (in all countries) are capable of acting like twerps at any location, and I don't want to have to be a doormat for people who choose to act in a distasteful way.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the easiest way to avoid physical confrontations is to stay home and spend all your time on internet forums.    also  limit interactions with humans to activities such as posting on Facebook , texting

Can't say I have had any serious problems in Thailand. I drive defensively, keep 80% of my assets in Australia, don't own anything apart from an elderly car and scooter, both bought secondhand. Cash I

I noticed pretty quickly that the expats who get into those sorts of situations always have entirely reasonable explanations for why they happened, and I have no reason to doubt their sincerity ... ex

Posted Images

2 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

Is there a high chance of getting banished from this country over a two-bit fistfight?

Over my years I've had 2 fights 1 helping a friend who was being attacked by ya-baa nutter and one at defending myself, I'm still here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

as far as traffic issues are concerned, my suggestion is dash cams fitted front and back. That way, you hopefully have a video record to prove exactly what has happened, instead of just the other person's word against yours. Of course, if it's your fault......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

if you're on a long-time visa, do you have to become a doormat?

What do you mean "become"?  You were always a person with zero rights living in a pseudo dictatorship

For most "visitors" they do not get used as said doormat but they were always available to be used. 

If or when Somchia decides to pull the trigger you will become what you always were ......a coconut girl in a high fashion world 😉

As someone once said ' There is nothing to fear except fear itself'.  I would suggest that those deported from Thailand fall into those that commit a crime or abuse immigration laws. You can probably count the number of 'innocent' deportees on one hand over the past 10 yrs. Some people are just not able to live in any country and spend their 'life' in hiding and fear. i knew an American guy who spent 3 yrs in Brazil who never went out except to be driven to work daily........ if you want to live your life in fear then do it but don't scaremonger and suggest the probability of an incident is higher than it is. You are more likely to be struck by lightning or win the lottery than be deported or harmed 

• Like 2

I see where the OP is coming from.

In any 'dispute' the odds are stacked in favour of the Thai I have no doubt. I don't live in fear but am more careful than I would be back home regards sticking my head above the parapet.

If a neighbour or someone has it in for you and makes false accusations against you, there is indeed a chance of it escalating. Unlikely but I am sure this thread will show a few examples, such as being accused of 'working' on a retirement extension.

It's not just foreigners in the farang sense, as neighbouring migrant workers also have this issue. I ive in a village that is 70% non-Thai, and as the wife says about this, 'No Thai, never win'.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1