Chiang Mai: Muted celebrations for "Yee Peng/Loy Krathong" as Covid and no tourists deal hammer blow

rooster59

Chiang Mai: Muted celebrations for "Yee Peng/Loy Krathong" as Covid and no tourists deal hammer blow

563000011194901.jpg

Image: Manager

A disconsolate tourism leader in the northern Thai city of Chiang Mai told Manager the Yee Peng or Loy Krathong celebration would be very different this year.

The city is normally one of the busiest in Thailand for the night time celebrations that see Thais floating ornamental boats and setting off colorful lanterns.

Pol Maj-Gen Pacha Ratanaphan, chief of the Chiang Mai Tourism Business Association said that plans for a "Big Krathong" parade around the city from the moat to the Ping River via the Tha Phae gate all changed.

There would be some isolated events going on around the moat instead next weekend. 

Covid-19, the lack of foreign tourists and the final damage caused by the anti-government protests had all taken their inevitable toll, he lamented.

Hotel occupancy in the city is not expected to reach even 50% at a time when it would normally be full.

Source: Manager

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-10-24

• Haha 2

Well in the villages around me in CM the festival has started earlier than usual and seems busier than normal

Lots of temples having big parties, music and fireworks and locals going to the fairs and floating the kratongs.

Also lots of parties at people's private houses with singing and all the rest of it. 

I am sure that in the city it will be a lot quieter for the main tourist event...but maybe not....as it seems mostly a Thai thing.  When even I went to the city to see the festival in previous years there were always far more Thai people than farang..and now there are no restrictions on Thai people traveling in the country there is little reason for some not to come to CM to celebrate.

I will go and take a look this year and see the difference for myself.  Actually will be a lot more pleasant with less people...and it got far too busy for me in the past (but sympathies for hotels if their business is suffering at this time ......however that tourism guy saying it's all going to be basically scaled down, quiet and basically boring is not going to encourage Thai tourists to now book hotels and come up to CM for the celebrations is it?!

Edited by jak2002003
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Covid-19, the lack of foreign tourists and the final damage caused by the anti-government protests had all taken their inevitable toll, he lamented.

He might have to explain that one to me a more....

• Like 2

19 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Thailand shoot itself in the leg then complains that it hurts.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/25/2020 at 12:12 AM, Tropicalevo said:

Sorry mate. It has nothing to do with the protesters.

Lack of tourists. End of.

Here on Samui it will be the same. And in Pattaya. And in Phuket.

Pattaya will be very busy for Loy Krathong and this coming weekend. This past long weekend, Pattaya was super busy with lots of Thais and some foreigners. Pattaya has the Bikini Run this coming weekend, lots of gorgeous half naked women. Some of the bars will have Halloween activities. There are several thousand expats in Pattaya and more will come from Bangkok and the surrounding cities. It's not doom and gloom in Pattaya this coming weekend.

Come to Pattaya this coming weekend for lots of sights and fun!

Edited by Banana7

5 hours ago, KaputtAlreadyNa said:

Would you also "MUTE" your national celebrations in the country where you came from ? Just wondering. 

Each his own.

Warmest

yes....i dont attend them and they are useless in my opinion, each his own right?    also 4am fireworks, noise violations and modified exhausts are illegal and dealt with by police....warmest more so....na

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...