Really? Why is the beer in Thailand so expensive?

I can't imagine the input costs being so much greater in Thailand than in the US. 

Labor is surely lower. 

I think energy is similar. 

Hops?  

Barley?

I dont drink  Bud light or Cooks light but they are only 24 baht a can  At 31.2 baht/$.  Keystone only 21 baht. 

Decent small brewery beers that are quite tasty  are 9$ for 6 or 51 baht.   Real good microbrews maybe 75 baht per bottle.   Given the wage difference how can yiur average thai afford to drink any beer 🍺? I am currently enjoying some completion from a local brewery  Epic on the session  IPA.  On sale  Only 13$/12 it's quite hoppy  and  only 5%.  Reg proce was 17$ . This  good session IPA beer from midwest came into the market @ 16$/12.    All day IPA.  It is really good for hop lovers.  Granted some of you gents want high point for the buzz but I prefer having 1-2 without impairment.  I call them lawnmower beers.  Can mow without cutting foot off.  

20201024_130451.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its a simple asnswer. Sin tax.    The government taxes alcohol heavily.   Imported alcohol even more so.   Surely this is obvious?

You could always quit drink, that would save a lot of money. It takes about 4-5 years to reset, after that you won't think about beer anymore and lose all taste for it. Beer in Thailand has preve

Why so expensive? Ever heard of excise taxes? Pretty high, in TH.

Posted Images

11 hours ago, n00dle said:

Its a simple asnswer. Sin tax. 

The government taxes alcohol heavily.

Imported alcohol even more so.

Surely this is obvious?

Why is Thai whiskey so cheap then if that's the case.?

The B I L 's can't afford beer to get drunk on, they always get slaughtered on whiskey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • theoldgit changed the title to Really? Why us the beer in Thailand so expensive?
  • metisdead changed the title to Really? Why is the beer in Thailand so expensive?