Internal links taking 60 seconds or more to load

ourmanflint

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not slow for me. It seems your problem is not forum software related.

Perhaps a slow internet connection or a shortage of memory.

No, not  a chance I'm afraid, 80 m/bit and imac 5K. I am in London though. Has been like this since relaunch

1 hour ago, ourmanflint said:
6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not slow for me. It seems your problem is not forum software related.

No, not  a chance I'm afraid, 80 m/bit and imac 5K. I am in London though. Has been like this since relaunch

Typically slow or delayed page rendering means one or more included external source page elements are being delayed or blocked (left to time-out).

To see what element may be hanging, in Chrome Browser (I know, iMac :sad: ) you can right-click on an open area of the page and select INSPECT / NETWORK (tab) then press F5 (refresh) and read the list. The area in yellow highlight below shows the total load time of the page.

image.png.6b8e291b79cb34233b2a3905c88560ee.png

Edited by RichCor
  • Thanks 1

...so what's the item right off the bat that are taking 24000ms to load?

I would suspect your DNS entries, *but* the IP address lookup should be cached in memory after the first page renders and subsequent fetch requests should reference the cached IP data.

2 hours ago, RichCor said:

I would suspect your DNS entries, *but* the IP address lookup should be cached in memory after the first page renders and subsequent fetch requests should reference the cached IP data.

Cloudflare often shows 504 errors, so not sure if it is my dns cache, I’ll flush it  and see

5 hours ago, RichCor said:

The Chrome NETWORK Timeline and Waterfall should both be useful in determining when all file elements are being requested, when they're delivered, how long they take to process (on your system) to make up the total load time and display of the webpage. 

On my laptop, the very first item show the longest timeline

"?tab-comments" is a reference to [https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1188960-internal-links-taking-60-seconds-or-more-to-load/?tab=comments] a 42.0kByte html "document", sometimes shows up as "xhr", and taking 3.89Seconds Time (from fetch request to arrival).

...as this file is partially created by querying the massive ThaiVisa database to find which post entries need be included in the page contents, it takes a while for the server to assemble and push it out ...but it shouldn't be taking 24000ms [24 seconds] (unless the server is being hammered by multiple upon multiple simultaneous requests). 

There's a page refresh that occurs on a regular basis, an "?tab=comments" gets reloaded, but that fetch refresh is quicker than the initial request/delivery/process time.

?app=core&module=system&controller=ajax&do=instant…b69f7acbc1c9a45a0a3bab&notifications=1&messages=0

?tab=comments

It also doesn't help that we (the users) are experiencing constant Cloudflare<->Server issues issues.

I'm very surprised I'm not seeing the same TIME delay that you're seeing, unless it is a workstation DNS or Intermediary Software issue (like browser extensions) that spend time doing who knows what -- but if you had such software issues it should show up quickly if you instead opened the clicked link in an incognito window (or other browser) without any extensions interfering and the initial first file fetch time was less than 4seconds.

Still suggest keeping an eye on the NETWORK TIMELINE and WATERFALL delay statistics.

• Like 1

I wonder if there is a similar inspection method for the mobile Chrome browser on my Android phone. I suspect that I may have messed up something a few days ago when I fiddled with the security settings of the browser and/or the settings of the Malwarebytes and Avast apps.

11 hours ago, Maestro said:

I wonder if there is a similar inspection method for the mobile Chrome browser on my Android phone

"They" haven't included the INSPECT debugging tools on mobile as the display interface is usually too small to be useful. Instead they provide a method for developers to loop android devices through a PC and use the PC to view the result.

Get Started with Remote Debugging Android Devices

developers.google.com | By Kayce Basques; Technical Writer, Chrome DevTools & Lighthouse

Thank you.

I hesitate to try that, lest I mess things up on my phone (Pixel 3a). I might try it on another Android phone first, but this will have to wait until next week.

Come to think of it, the first thing I should probably do is see if it also takes 30 seconds on the other phone to load the home page of a forum.

1 hour ago, ourmanflint said:

Tried site out on Safari Mac and still same problems. I can't see how this is anything other than server related

Something is definitely odd, and appears to be happening as the server queries the database for posts to build the initial html page then send it out to you (but apparently only happening for you).

I wonder it there's something up with your login profile.

A quick test: Sign OUT of your TV account, clear cache, then revisit forum.thaivisa.com and  ...then see if, as a logged-out user, you still encounter the massive initial delay when requesting random forum posts or specific pages you are using as your test sample.

EDIT: Can you repost another INSPECT NETWORK Timeline and Waterfall screenshot, this time with the Debug Windows scrolled all the way to the top (showing the "?tab=comments" file, or whatever the first initial files that gets displayed and showing the huge delay).  Thanks

Edited by RichCor

21 minutes ago, RichCor said:

Something is definitely odd, and appears to be happening as the server queries the database for posts to build the initial html page then send it out to you (but apparently only happening for you).

I wonder it there's something up with your login profile.

A quick test: Sign OUT of your TV account, clear cache, then revisit forum.thaivisa.com and  ...then see if, as a logged-out user, you still encounter the massive initial delay when requesting random forum posts or specific pages you are using as your test sample.

EDIT: Can you repost another INSPECT NETWORK Timeline and Waterfall screenshot, this time with the Debug Windows scrolled all the way to the top (showing the "?tab=comments" file, or whatever the first initial files that gets displayed and showing the huge delay).  Thanks

Well that is bonkers!. You were right, if I sign out it is very quick, but every time I sign in it goes back to 25 secs+, even after clearing cookies, as soon as I sign in it slows down again

Please contact Support @ Thaivisa . com

Provide your login name, and let them know what you have discovered (signed-in vs signed-out initial page delivery delay) and ask if they can take a look at your account. Hopefully they can resolve the now identified issue.

Edited by RichCor
  • Like 1

That subdomain appears to be a cloudflare redirect, or a redirect to pull in the banner ads.

The notification messages at the bottom of the screen while page rendering can be a bit of red herring, that element could well be loaded but waiting for some other connected element before finishing its task, which is why I like to use the INSPECT / NETWORK Timeline and Waterfall reports so see which of the many external page elements is actually responsible the screen rendering delay.

2 hours ago, ourmanflint said:
6 hours ago, Tech Doctor said:

Hi,

Thanks for all the information, just one more question is it specific to a time of day? or anytime? 

TD

No, it happens 24/7

going forward through site is faster than going backwards, using either browser backbutton or breadcrumbs navigation 

TD, another 'quick test' might be to authorize ourmanlint to create a second account (temporarily and for testing only) to verify if he still has issues when logged into a valid account.

Our previous diagnostic meanderings found no delay issue when completely logged out, but a consistent delivery delay when logged in (a delay that apparently only happened to him, but again not when logged out).

I'm assuming his profile has somehow become corrupted, or some profile element is causing the forum to take more than the usual time to assemble the pages when initially clicked, but not when it automatically refreshes or updates for notifications. 

I would ask you to look and see if the forum error logs show any corresponding time stamp entries, but asking someone to read forum error logs is like asking someone to look directly into the sun.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...