Three Ways to Acquire COVID Vaccines

rooster59

Three Ways to Acquire COVID Vaccines

ways.JPG

BANGKOK, Oct 24 (TNA) – Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has ordered officials to acquire COVID-19 vaccines through three ways, intending to make a vaccine available for Thai people at the same time as in other countries.

Government spokesman Anucha Burapachaisri said that in the latest meeting of the Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration, the prime minister ordered the Ministry of Public Health and other relevant organizations to quickly acquire vaccines for the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) to make sure that Thailand would have such a vaccine when other countries would.

The government allocated 1 billion baht to the National Vaccine Institute and vaccine acquisition was being conducted via three ways.

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news/line-today-english-news-569410

tnalogo.jpg

-- © Copyright TNA 2020-10-25

Firstly, a vaccine was being developed in the country...Secondly, Thailand was receiving vaccine production technology from other countries...Thirdly, the government would import vaccines from manufacturers in other countries the spokesman said. https://tna.mcot.net/english-news/line-today-english-news-569410

Must have picked-up this plan at a Genius Bar. 

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Firstly, a vaccine was being developed in the country...Secondly, Thailand was receiving vaccine production technology from other countries...Thirdly, the government would import vaccines from manufacturers in other countries the spokesman said.

Must have picked-up this plan at a Genius Bar. 

I'll give the Chinese version a miss.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Wonder if that includes forced blood donations from UK tourists that have been injected with an Oxford covid vaccine ! Give me a free yearly visa and you can have a pint a month

I wouldn't be surprised if blood transfusion could be an option to transfer anti bodies, in countries that has no access to enough vaccines. 

So you might have a chance ????

19 minutes ago, lujanit said:

This vaccine availability has been upmost in my mind lately.  Expats are already not welcome.  Thais will get a free vaccine and I doubt there will be enough to go around all Thais. So expats will miss out or have to pay expensively for it.

Might be time to start lobbying our embassies and have them import vaccine to be administrated free to their citizens.

I wouldn't be too concerned about getting the vaccine. First off, I disagree that expat residents are "unwelcome," I certainly have never felt this way. Secondly, vaccine theory generally holds that a vaccination rate of somewhere between 60-80% of a population confers "herd immunity" from a given virus and that at point virus spread stops (and thus dies out). Therefore, all Thais, let alone foreigners, wouldn't have to be vaccinated against the SARS-CoV-2 virus to protect the country from it. Foreigners here can basically "coast along" on the vaccination of the Thais. If one wanted to travel outside Thailand, a vaccine will likely be necessary. 

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, thaitero said:

I am sure this man from Star Trek will get it soon,,,????

"Damn it JimDon, I'm a radiologist, not a epidemiologist!"

"You're a doctor, right? That's all I need."

3 ways to acquire vaccine, like many things:

Beg, borrow or steal

A post has been removed:

Do not post news or any form of content, including video, audio, images, social media posts that contains messages that may cause people to be afraid or intentionally distort information, causing misunderstanding during the COVID-19 pandemic.   

Any posts or topics which our moderation team deems to be scaremongering, deliberately misleading or has been posted to deliberately distort information will be removed without warning. You may also be subject to a posting suspension or have your profile permanently suspended from the site. 

Thank you for your co-operation.

55 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Secondly, vaccine theory generally holds that a vaccination rate of somewhere between 60-80% of a population confers "herd immunity" from a given virus and that at point virus spread stops (and thus dies out)

Herd immunity is a far higher percentage of the population.  For sars covid 2 herd immunity to be effective 90 to 95% of the population must be immunized.

What percentage of a community needs to be immune in order to achieve herd immunity? It varies from disease to disease. The more contagious a disease is, the greater the proportion of the population that needs to be immune to the disease to stop its spread. For example, the measles is a highly contagious illness. It's estimated that 94% of the population must be immune to interrupt the chain of transmission. (https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/herd-immunity-and-coronavirus/art-20486808).

Sars Covid 2 is considered a highly contagious disease.  Just look at the daily infections. Over 80,000 in the US alone yesterday.

1 minute ago, lujanit said:

Herd immunity is a far higher percentage of the population.  For sars covid 2 herd immunity to be effective 90 to 95% of the population must be immunized.

What percentage of a community needs to be immune in order to achieve herd immunity? It varies from disease to disease. The more contagious a disease is, the greater the proportion of the population that needs to be immune to the disease to stop its spread. For example, the measles is a highly contagious illness. It's estimated that 94% of the population must be immune to interrupt the chain of transmission. (https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/herd-immunity-and-coronavirus/art-20486808).

Sars Covid 2 is considered a highly contagious disease.  Just look at the daily infections. Over 80,000 in the US alone yesterday.

Ok that's good information to know...the foreign population in Thailand is 5% if you include all the Myanmar, Lao, and Cambo farm and construction laborers...less than a percent if your looking at "Western" expats. We can still coast ????

Regarding herd immunity for covid 19 there is an extra sting in the tail.  Normal herd immunity involves a vaccine however this disease relies on infection rates at the moment.  No vaccine currently available.

Even if infection with the COVID-19 virus creates long-lasting immunity, a large number of people would have to become infected to reach the herd immunity threshold. Experts estimate that in the U.S., 70% of the population — more than 200 million people — would have to recover from COVID-19 to halt the epidemic. If many people become sick with COVID-19 at once, the health care system could quickly become overwhelmed. This amount of infection could also lead to serious complications and millions of deaths, especially among older people and those who have chronic conditions.(https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/herd-immunity-and-coronavirus/art-20486808).

Note that at least 70% would have to contract and recover.

23 minutes ago, lujanit said:

Regarding herd immunity for covid 19 there is an extra sting in the tail.  Normal herd immunity involves a vaccine however this disease relies on infection rates at the moment.  No vaccine currently available.

Even if infection with the COVID-19 virus creates long-lasting immunity, a large number of people would have to become infected to reach the herd immunity threshold. Experts estimate that in the U.S., 70% of the population — more than 200 million people — would have to recover from COVID-19 to halt the epidemic. If many people become sick with COVID-19 at once, the health care system could quickly become overwhelmed. This amount of infection could also lead to serious complications and millions of deaths, especially among older people and those who have chronic conditions.(https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/herd-immunity-and-coronavirus/art-20486808).

Note that at least 70% would have to contract and recover.

I assume that means a 70% vaccination rate would do the same thing...so this source thinks 70% is herd immunity...while another says 94%. Nobody really knows...educated guesses at best.

we are told thailand has no virus so why would thailand get it when other countries are in great need?astrazenica have an agreement to make it here but i think theyre reconsidering that move.....given the fact of who theyre doing business with would make that unlikely.our embassies should give their citizens and tax payers the vaccine as their staff im sure will get it,do something well and serve your citizens just for once but dont hold your breath on that one.im a uk taxpayer and i would expect to get it if the embassy uk staff get it

3 hours ago, lujanit said:

This vaccine availability has been upmost in my mind lately.  Expats are already not welcome.  Thais will get a free vaccine and I doubt there will be enough to go around all Thais. So expats will miss out or have to pay expensively for it.

Might be time to start lobbying our embassies and have them import vaccine to be administrated free to their citizens.

I don't want it anyway and if forced it will be USA here I come 

Another scam upcoming.

The government allocated 1 billion baht to the National Vaccine Institute and vaccine acquisition was being conducted via three ways.

Of course people wont get it free as could be expected from e decent public health organisation

NHS staff to get coronavirus vaccine 'in weeks' sparking hope for lockdown-weary Brits

An NHS trust chief sent an email to his staff saying the Health Service is preparing for a national vaccination programme before Christmas. The vaccine would be given in two doses, 28 days apart

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-vaccine-rolled-out-nhs-22901794

A coronavirus vaccine could be rolled out to NHS staff within a few weeks, it has been reported.

An NHS trust chief sent an email to his staff saying the Health Service is preparing for a national vaccination programme before Christmas.

The Government has also introduced new laws which would allow the country to roll out a vaccine even without the EU approval process if a safe jab is found before the end of the Brexit transition period, the Mail on Sunday reports.

Glen Burley, chief executive of George Eliot Hospital NHS Trust in Warwick­shire, wrote: "Our Trust, alongside NHS organisations nationally, has been told to be prepared to start a Covid-19 staff vaccine programme in early December.

33 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

NHS staff to get coronavirus vaccine 'in weeks' sparking hope for lockdown-weary Brits

An NHS trust chief sent an email to his staff saying the Health Service is preparing for a national vaccination programme before Christmas. The vaccine would be given in two doses, 28 days apart

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-vaccine-rolled-out-nhs-22901794

A coronavirus vaccine could be rolled out to NHS staff within a few weeks, it has been reported.

An NHS trust chief sent an email to his staff saying the Health Service is preparing for a national vaccination programme before Christmas.

The Government has also introduced new laws which would allow the country to roll out a vaccine even without the EU approval process if a safe jab is found before the end of the Brexit transition period, the Mail on Sunday reports.

Glen Burley, chief executive of George Eliot Hospital NHS Trust in Warwick­shire, wrote: "Our Trust, alongside NHS organisations nationally, has been told to be prepared to start a Covid-19 staff vaccine programme in early December.

fingers crossed, but... reported in the daily mail? think i'll wait for a more reputable news organisation to cover the story

• Like 1

I sincerely hope that someone has organized a secure certification system that will everyone who has completed a vaccination course to confirm it.

That will allow all countries to accept it as an alternative to quarantines. Realistically, that is the only way that the world can move back towards mass tourism.

I don't think any country will have mandatory vaccinations, but I expect it will be required for air travel, entry to most countries, most jobs where you interact with others (such as office jobs), and probably most colleges and universities.

I don't think the secure certification will be in the form an implanted NFC chip. More likely that a page in your passport will be used to list the dates of all your travel-relevant vaccinations including Coronavirus, along with a barcode that links to an online confirmation of the same information, along with your passport details and photo. As countries struggle to rebuild their income from foreigners, I expect them to offer generous visa waivers to those with such confirmation, possibly stamping you in for 6 months.

95% of the people currently saying they will refuse vaccination will end up complaining about the waiting time.