So, I think it's a problem with the keyboard

up-country_sinclair

Hi,

My wife has an Asus laptop that is outside its warranty period and she's having a problem which makes it nearly unusable.

When she logs on and tries to enter her password, she gets the notification that "Caps Lock" is on, and 9 times out of 10 we can't get caps lock to turn off.  However I have occasionally had some luck getting the password in, but that only leads to the next problem.  For example when she tries to click on a folder or file icon on the desktop, it opens up everything on the desktop.  Every file and folder opens.  It's almost as if somehow "CTRL and A" are being pressed and everything is selected.

She took the computer to a shop and they wanted 1,000 baht just to open it up and take a look.  I would guess the laptop itself can't be worth more than 6,000 when working properly.

Has anyone encountered a problem such as this before?  Any suggestions on what it is or how to resolve it?   Should we just throw it on the junk pile and buy a new laptop?

I'm happy to provide more info as needed.

Thanks very much.  ????

Edited by up-country_sinclair

30 minutes ago, up-country_sinclair said:

However I have occasionally had some luck getting the password in, but that only leads to the next problem.  For example when she tries to click on a folder or file icon on the desktop, it opens up everything on the desktop.  Every file and folder opens.

Sounds like the keyboard is damaged.

First try hitting the CAPS LOCK and both SHIFT KEYS firmly about 20 times each to see if that makes the issue better (or worse). Some laptop keyboards are magnetic graphite membrane and the issue can be cleared (or exacerbated) by hitting the keys firmly multiple times.

If that fails it's usually a pretty easy DIY project to replace the keyboard on your own:

watch a youtube how-to video on ASUS keyboard swap procedure for your laptop

find and buy an OEM keyboard on Lazada (or AliExpress) for your exact laptop

follow the how-to video and swap the replacement into place

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use an old HP Elitebook for internet and personal use. About a year back the middle bank of keys (6 to N / 7 to M) stopped working. took it to Tukcom and they tried to fix / source a new keyboard but without success.

So, I bought a cheapo keyboard, plugged it in and that works just fine for me, if a bit clunky.

My work related notebook is about to be replaced by my company so I will shortly transition to that for my personal stuff. The old HP will then be handed down to my grandkids to bash away at. A win win!!

• Thanks 1

It sound like it is the keyboard as I have this problem about a couple of yrs ago.

Don't discard the laptop but buy a new keyboard for your model.

I bought mine through Amazon.  Do it yourself.

• Thanks 1

first thing to do is connect a standard keyboard to a usb port. 

that should tell you if the problem is the laptop keyboard. 

unless she's taking the laptop back 'n forth to work, no hurry

to get repaired, if ever.  just use the external keyboard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, up-country_sinclair said:

Should we just throw it on the junk pile and buy a new laptop?

Unless you have dropped it in the ocean or from a skyscraper, any laptop is worth repairing if you can find the parts.

If you not a DIY guy, there are techs that will get the job done for less money. Jeez 1000 Baht is madness, are they using golden screwdrivers?! Try finding a second hand computer shop, those fancy ones will charge the hell out of you. You might have to assist buying a part online or use a second hand one if they can find it locally.

If you choose to DIY,

I would suggest you back up all your files externally and attempt a clean re-install of your operating system, just to totally eliminate any software problems caused by corrupt files, a bug or the famous Asus driver update malfunctions.

Only then if the problem persists first remove the keyboard and inspect it. Clean it off an remove any dirt. You will be surprised what a single hair, a cookie crumble or old spilled sticky coffee under laptop button can have. If that don't solve the issue, only then continue to buy and replace the keyboard like RichCor said in post#1

Good Luk!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

first thing to do is connect a standard keyboard to a usb port. 

that should tell you if the problem is the laptop keyboard. 

I think one of the SHIFT keys is stuck ON ...which is why multiple things may continue to be opened when mouse clicked.