Is your sweat destroying the furniture?

Daffy D

On 10/25/2020 at 7:40 PM, KC 71 said:

Yes,good thinking,i forgot about that

a cheap option too.This 1 certainly cools me down + fan for xtra if needed ????

67B49B50-6181-4E47-A989-2E82EA16C1DE.jpeg

no thank you, I don't want to look ridiculous as the locals !

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Dario said:

Yes, I have the same problem. I have an expensive desk, bought it for 14-15'000 Baht 10 years ago, but the sweat of my arm is killing it, see picture.

I wonder if this could be refurbished.

Not as   worse you have but I have something at the sides of the desktop

Of course you can refurbish it, for example with Formica (Brand name)

It is about 0,8mm thick , virtually scratch-free, and I use it on my work bench, available in many colors and designs.

IMG20201026172448s.jpg

Topside.jpeg

Backside.jpeg

On 10/25/2020 at 11:25 AM, Daffy D said:

In the hot weather, especially if it's humid, I tend to sweat a lot.

My sweat must be extra toxic as it is destroying my plastic garden chair and the plastic on the arm of the computer chair.

The garden chair I'm not too worried about but the bubbly arms of the computer chair were starting to annoy me. 

I fixed the problem by wrapping the arms in that special gripping tape they use on racket handles. The tape is quite stretchy and melds to the contours of the arm quite well and seems to do the job.

Anyway thought I'd pass this on, might be of use to someone as sweaty as me :biggrin:

223751136_ChairArm.jpg.86c0d5a2c6c38663f3eaff3d3e2046a4.jpgTape_rotation.jpg.02429f92743ab16eb2f134889b7bafdf.jpg

:thumbsup:

I have noticed that the lacquer on our dining table has completely gone where I rest my elbows and is now being penetrated in the material beneath which appears to be cement in to which tiles and stones are inset. Same with a painted table on the terrace. It's taken about   1/2 years of fairly heavy use to reach this state.

• Haha 1

On 10/25/2020 at 11:25 AM, Daffy D said:

My sweat must be extra toxic as it is destroying my plastic garden chair and the plastic on the arm of the computer chair.

Had similar problem with armrest of study chairs, it happens after some time of use when it's artificial leather (or plastic?). Either change to a chair with uncovered metal armrests, or a leather chair...:thumbsup:

Seems to be a fairly widespread problem, be nice if someone could invent a no-sweat pill :smile:

To stop my desk from being destroyed I covered the top in Lino (Linoleum, or is it all Vinyl these days) and use a couple of small hand towels to rest my arms on to absorb the sweat.

The white towel is folded over at the top and makes a nice cozy rest for the wrist while using the mouse. When not using the computer I drape the towels over the keyboard as a dustcover and to let them dry out, then once a week put them in the wife's laundry for the weekly wash. :whistling:

Lino and self adhesive Vinyl tiles are available from Lazada:-

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/035-14-1-pvc-flooring-linoleum-vinyl-floor-mats-i1622868334-s4461048889.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.6bf9293cPiuXEB&search=1

Or HomePro:- 

https://www.homepro.co.th/search?q=Vinyl+self+adhesive+floor+tiles

Re-Sized.jpg.e99202f4a26ae0a695e9c12e1f134913.jpg

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Dario said:

Yes, I have the same problem. I have an expensive desk, bought it for 14-15'000 Baht 10 years ago, but the sweat of my arm is killing it, see picture.

IMG20201026172448s.jpg

Solution are Ikea things for on your desk similar to the leather one that you have but it covers where you sweat. I had that in my old home where I had no aircon (first home ever in Thailand). After that i just thought paying for aircon was better.

2 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

Seems to be a fairly widespread problem, be nice if someone could invent a no-sweat pill :smile:

To stop my desk from being destroyed I covered the top in Lino (Linoleum, or is it all Vinyl these days) and use a couple of small hand towels to rest my arms on to absorb the sweat.

The white towel is folded over at the top and makes a nice cozy rest for the wrist while using the mouse. When not using the computer I drape the towels over the keyboard as a dustcover and to let them dry out, then once a week put them in the wife's laundry for the weekly wash. :whistling:

Lino and self adhesive Vinyl tiles are available from Lazada:-

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/035-14-1-pvc-flooring-linoleum-vinyl-floor-mats-i1622868334-s4461048889.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.6bf9293cPiuXEB&search=1

Or HomePro:- 

https://www.homepro.co.th/search?q=Vinyl+self+adhesive+floor+tiles

Re-Sized.jpg.e99202f4a26ae0a695e9c12e1f134913.jpg

Leather ikea desk covers work too

https://www.ikea.com/th/en/p/rissla-desk-pad-black-20246157/

My Thai Mrs complains that I smell 'musty' and make everywhere damp. She doesn't like my taking a shower with clothes on and then enjoying the cooling by evaporation effect. I told her it is the ultimate cooling method and I've no intention of stopping. Not happy!

• Haha 1

On 10/25/2020 at 5:25 PM, Daffy D said:

in my case my sweat is mixed with the sweat of countless other individuals combined with a constant repetitive rocking motion which means i have to replace all my furniture annually.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

My Thai Mrs complains that I smell 'musty' and make everywhere damp. She doesn't like my taking a shower with clothes on and then enjoying the cooling by evaporation effect. I told her it is the ultimate cooling method and I've no intention of stopping. Not happy!

Tell her it saves washing the clothes.

Then let us know how you are getting on in hospital

17 hours ago, Dario said:

IMG20201026172448s.jpg

Try using it on a bonfire :whistling:

Never mind sweat destroying ones furniture. Mine destroys lawnmowers. Twice I've lost Honda powered lawnmowers to rust caused by sweat running down my arms and hands and onto the mower handle. I now wear my children's old school socks after cutting the toe section off and use them as sweat wrist bands. After doing that I wear a pair of plastic disposable gloves. Been okay for 2 years now and the rusting has stopped.

• Haha 2

Using power tools is also dangerous.

Some time ago I posted on here about sweat from my arms and hands running down into the vent slots of an angle grinder and giving off a shock. :w00t:

I take a bit more care now with mixing power tools with sweat.   :thumbsup:

On 10/25/2020 at 4:10 AM, Daffy D said:

I already have a couple of fans blowing on me. A16in from the wall behind an a 12in on me from the wall directly above where I sit.

Guess I'm just a sweaty guy :sad:

Could maybe get some tips from Prince Andrew :whistling:

I think have 20 girls fanning you. Seems to be beneficial for the dude in Germany.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2020 at 1:01 PM, IvorBiggun2 said:

Never mind sweat destroying ones furniture. Mine destroys lawnmowers. Twice I've lost Honda powered lawnmowers to rust caused by sweat running down my arms and hands and onto the mower handle. I now wear my children's old school socks after cutting the toe section off and use them as sweat wrist bands. After doing that I wear a pair of plastic disposable gloves. Been okay for 2 years now and the rusting has stopped.

Long sleeve tshirts would help you to look less ugly and cost only 200 thb...

This is why I cannot stand people in crop top or tank top, how can people be so stupid to not understand that without sleeves your sweat on others or on furniture...

What a BS when people are telling the usual stupid idea that it's too hot for long sleeves or pants !