Butter, Margarine or Fat Spread - What is the healthier option?

ravip

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

On toast you were spoiled, we had plain bread no time to toast it.

Luxury!

We had to eat gravel from around the hole in the road we lived in.

Monty Python, the four Yorkshiremen

We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

TJ: Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I was a chemist at Unilever, I know what goes into margarine, and the composition of butter. Perhaps you could post your superior experience and academic qualifications.

Obviously, you don't consider genetic predisposition to be a factor in heart disease.

No not at all. people who gulp sugar and Burgers have no genetic relationship to heart disease.

Just in common they guzzle Krap .

And I am well read in medical science, more than you could contemplate.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I was a chemist at Unilever, I know what goes into margarine, and the composition of butter. Perhaps you could post your superior experience and academic qualifications.

Obviously, you don't consider genetic predisposition to be a factor in heart disease.

I've already passed my 3 score and ten, so the idea that I would eat anything I didn't like to live longer in the nursing home is a nonsense to me. Massive heart attack caused by eating enjoyable but bad food is my best hope to escape the nursing home hell.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2020 at 3:05 PM, ravip said:

So... what could be considered the 'healthier' option for our daily bread?

And why?

It's really depending on the amount of butter you use, if modest then I wouldn't care, and instead enjoy my food, which might be much healthier than any health-advises, namely feeling feeling happy when dining.

If you use a lot of spread on your bread, perhaps consider to reduce it a bit.

One of my youth pals is today one of the Worlds leading obesity scientist, and recent studies (2016) from his group shows, that plant oil based margarine is not healthier than butter, and that cheese reduce the amount of cholesterol.

I found a recently published article in English (July 2019) "Time to stop talking about saturated fat?" from his work in University of Copenhagen HERE.

As a small real-life remark:  My dad always used butter as spread, but only little – even that my mom and I talked about that he should use the healthier plant oil margarine, which we used – however, in spite of his continuously butter-use, he managed 104½ years, of which 104 years were sports active; the major thing was that he was always happily enjoyed his meals, and he din't forget to mention it...????

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, khunPer said:

It's really depending on the amount of butter you use, if modest then I wouldn't care, and instead enjoy my food, which might be much healthier than any health-advises, namely feeling feeling happy when dining.

If you use a lot of spread on your bread, perhaps consider to reduce it a bit.

One of my youth pals is today one of the Worlds leading obesity scientist, and recent studies (2016) from his group shows, that plant oil based margarine is not healthier than butter, and that cheese reduce the amount of cholesterol.

I found a recently published article in English (July 2019) "Time to stop talking about saturated fat?" from his work in University of Copenhagen HERE.

As a small real-life remark:  My dad always used butter as spread, but only little – even that my mom and I talked about that he should use the healthier plant oil margarine, which we used – however, in spite of his continuously butter-use, he managed 104½ years, of which 104 years were sports active; the major thing was that he was always happily enjoyed his meals, and he din't forget to mention it...????

It is well known that margarine is more harmful than butter.

Unilever is a BIg Pharma drug pusher, do you believe that roundup and Dupont/ monsanto do not tell porkies,

Just look at non stick fry pans that Dupont poisoned the world with, poisened  Verginias rivers, have had a massive law suite against them , dirty water a good doco.

The chemicals produced by them are called Never Never, never leave your body. Sorry Mr Unilever.

On 10/25/2020 at 9:56 PM, impulse said:

The current favorite of health nuts (and experts) is clarified butter.   But that seems to change every few years.

I'm still waiting for the day they tell us the perfect health food is a greasy double cheeseburger with extra fried onions and mushrooms.

what, no bacon

7 minutes ago, flexomike said:

what, no bacon

7 minutes ago, flexomike said:

what, no bacon

The BBC produced a documentary, they put people in grounds next to chimpanzee, they had to eat only raw vegetables, amazingly most who stayed in the trial had reversed diabetes and heart disease , those who  pulled out and went back to eating Mcdonalds  had there bad health return in a s little as 2 weeks.

Capsule cameras swallowed by participants  showed meat taking days to pass through their bowels.

Cholesterol levels plummeted . Diabetes reversed.

Now for those uninformed unilever Donald trump fans watch  "{ What the Health) on You Tube, maybe watch it twice or three times.

Margerine is just a few molocules away from plastic and even a rat or cockroach won't eat it. My father lived to 84 and was capable and healthy ( died from a stroke) he ate fat all his life but worked hard, so I cannot see the harm in fat despite what we are told. Butter was a staple partt of any diet 70 - 80 years ago and men and women fought two wars on it if they were lucky to get it. As said above however, Olive and Canola spreads seem to be the current go to spread for your bread. I pesonally use olive.

56 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

The BBC produced a documentary, they put people in grounds next to chimpanzee, they had to eat only raw vegetables, amazingly most who stayed in the trial had reversed diabetes and heart disease , those who  pulled out and went back to eating Mcdonalds  had there bad health return in a s little as 2 weeks.

Capsule cameras swallowed by participants  showed meat taking days to pass through their bowels.

Cholesterol levels plummeted . Diabetes reversed.

Now for those uninformed unilever Donald trump fans watch  "{ What the Health) on You Tube, maybe watch it twice or three times.

Maybe watch the scientific de-bunking of 90% of this "documentary" 

Margarine is heavily processed and along with seed oils (corn oil, vegetable oil and soy oils ) poisons your body.

Heart attacks only started after see oils started to be manufactured around 1900.

This will open your eyes.
Dr. Chris Knobbe - 'Diseases of Civilization: Are Seed Oil Excesses the Unifying Mechanism
https://youtu.be/7kGnfXXIKZM

2 hours ago, aussie11950 said:

Margarine is heavily processed and along with seed oils (corn oil, vegetable oil and soy oils ) poisons your body.

Heart attacks only started after see oils started to be manufactured around 1900.

Dr. Chris Knobbe - 'Diseases of Civilization: Are Seed Oil Excesses the Unifying Mechanism

People generally did not live long enough at the turn of the last century to suffer from heart attacks.....so that could be a rather misleading statistic.

On 10/25/2020 at 9:39 PM, david555 said:

MeadowLea ...Canola version spread  ....made in Australia

( big C ) 

20201025_213520.jpg

On 10/25/2020 at 11:09 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Not sure about the healthiest option but I like this:

1D42BFF5-A085-4659-A8BB-20485AAE03B7.thumb.jpeg.1fe055bb261e52c5f9052f57bd4dd16a.jpeg

Available at Big C

saturated !!!!  You like it or you love it, does not matter. They are not healthy to be consumed regularly.

7 hours ago, Saltire said:

I follow keto guidelines so it's all butter, ghee or virgin olive oil for me.

Have not eaten a 'spread' in decades.

Can virgin olive oil really be a substitute for butter, especially to eat with bread?

5 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

No not at all. people who gulp sugar and Burgers have no genetic relationship to heart disease.

Just in common they guzzle Krap .

And I am well read in medical science, more than you could contemplate.

You're evidently not well read in basic statistics, quoting a population of two in your contention margarine is worse than butter.

Since what I am posting seems to be going through to the wicketkeeper, goodbye.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, aussie11950 said:

Is that Chris KNOBBE of butter?   LOL

16 hours ago, aussie11950 said:

"Heart attacks only started after see oils started to be manufactured around 1900."

I see, no-one died of a heart attack prior to that. Sets a new benchmark in fatuity.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, jayboy said:

I'm not sure the many heart patients from South Asia travelling to Bumrungrad for heart operations would agree with you.

Many claims made on this thread, most anecdotal.

When someone can produce a peer-reviewed, statistical study of an adequate population size to indicate butter is healthier than vegetable-oil based margarines, I may change my mind.

Until then, I'll keep eating the polyunsaturates that some posters claim are killing me. I'm 77, so it hasn't happened yet. Although I do notice some of the butter supporters are exhibiting cognitive decline.

• Haha 1

On 10/25/2020 at 8:20 AM, carlyai said:

Probably the healthiest is to use advacado fruit for the spread. 

Margarine is now out, got all them there free radicals whizzing around.

Butter is in, got less free radicals and now fat is good for you again.

Gotta get rid of all them unbounded  free electrons making you die younger.

Don't worry, soon beer will be IN again.

Not that butter is good for you but the least harmful. My bud was into eating hunks of butter, Had a heart attack.

58 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Not that butter is good for you but the least harmful. My bud was into eating hunks of butter, Had a heart attack.

I think everybody's body is different. 

Some people like me get heaps of scar tissue after an operation and some people drink to excess and never get liver problems. 

I think you can probably eat margarine  or butter but have a calcium scan first. Then the next year have another calcium scan and if you are eating margarine and your score increases, switch to margarine and test again a year later.

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

My bud was into eating hunks of butter, Had a heart attack.

Ive just finished watching a UK cop programme where one of the detective’s favourite meals is dipping his chips into butter and scooping it up. Made me quite nauseous just watching....

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 1:05 AM, ravip said:

I was reading through some articles about Butter, Margarine and Fat Spread.

Going back in time, Butter was the favourite. Then came margarine - offered as a healthier option to the beloved butter!

And now comes the 'fat spread', slowly pushing the margarine out!

So... what could be considered the 'healthier' option for our daily bread?

And why?

When I was a kid we still had the last legs of food rationing after the 2nd WW. We very rarely had butter (often not available and more expensive than the majority of families could ever afford).

Every kitchen had a lard tin, often a mixture of beef, pork & lamb fat, from cooking roast dinners. The lard contained a lot of the scrapings in the bottom of the roasting pan.

Family snack was often slices of bread (or toast made on the coals in the kitchen stove) plus a cold layer of the lard and scrapings above.

Totally unhealthy and totally delicious.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2020 at 7:41 PM, carlyai said:

I think everybody's body is different. 

Some people like me get heaps of scar tissue after an operation and some people drink to excess and never get liver problems. 

I think you can probably eat margarine  or butter but have a calcium scan first. Then the next year have another calcium scan and if you are eating margarine and your score increases, switch to margarine and test again a year later.

I thought margarine was thought of as unhealthful due to the ingredients. Not so?

On 10/27/2020 at 8:16 PM, Bogbrush said:

Ive just finished watching a UK cop programme where one of the detective’s favourite meals is dipping his chips into butter and scooping it up. Made me quite nauseous just watching....

Ever since traveling around Europe for three months and finding that in Holland the treat was walking around was chips with mayo in a sno cone paper, I eat my fries with mayo. Love it! Sometimes a bit of ketchup. Never am freaky and use mustard.

But the crazy tavern on Soi 8 started charging me for mayo , then McDs started charging for the "dressing". Looney!

I tell people my philosophy of life is "everything tastes better with mayo". 555 Got to talking with a woman shopping in a market and she couldn't believe I ate artichokes with mayo. She only ate them with butter.

Anyway, I rarely eat fries or chips these days.  Yes, the butter sounds sickening. My pores would be oozing butter. 555