Bangkok's air quality 16th worst among world cities

webfact

Bangkok's air quality 16th worst among world cities

By The Nation

800_e3781edddc0d2f0.jpg?v=1603611061

The Air Visual application reported on Sunday that Bangkok’s air pollution level according to the US Air Quality Index (AQI) standard stood at 108, with the level of particulate matter less than 2.5 micrograms in diameter (PM2.5) at 38mcg per cubic metre (µg/m3), placing it at 16th on the list of cities with the worst air in the world.

AQI is a standard that indicates the quality of air and level of pollution. Level 0-50 means good air quality, 51-100 is moderate quality, 101-105 will start affecting sensitive groups, 151-200 is slightly harmful to health, 201-300 is highly harmful and 301-500 is extremely dangerous.

Meanwhile, the Pollution Control Department reported that air quality in Bangkok and its perimeter is currently fluctuating between very good to moderate with PM2.5 at around 20-42 µg/m3 detected by 71 air quality stations.

The Thai safety limit for PM2.5 is 50mcg per cubic metre of air while the safety limit for AQI is 100. As of Sunday, the five cities with the worst air quality were: 1. Lahore, Pakistan 317; 2. Delhi, India 195; 3. Karachi, Pakistan 169; 4. Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia 163; 5. Chengdu, China 158.

The cities with the best air quality were: 1. Tashkent, Uzbekistan 1; 2. Melbourne, Australia; 3. Sydney, Australia 6; 4. Canberra, Australia 6; 5. London, United Kingdom 7.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30396732

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-10-26

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Crusader said:

Nausea...I think your problem is - you don't spend enough time in BKK.  I have never had any throat or lung problem in almost 30 years here.

Me to I never cough or anything else. The problem is some people have underlying health issues and would be worthwhile to get a full medical IMO 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nausea said:

The only thing I know is that whenever I spend more than two or three days in BKK I inevitably get a throat infection; something I've never experienced in any other city, and I've been around a bit, which is a bit weird given I'm a two pack a day man; so breathing BKK air is worse than being a chain smoker?  Though, I must admit, I did once get a similar reaction to smoking some knock off Ukrainian cigarettes. And yeah, mentioning BKK and throat infection in the same breath probably sets me up for some lewd jokes.

Aircons could be a factor, or moving in and out of aircons. Taxis, bars, shopping malls, restaurants, hotel rooms. Water cooler fans blowing in open air pubs. Many in an unhealthy condition. 

If you want to cut down smoking move to Australia. 1000 baht a pack. You'll either quit or go broke trying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

BAD air quality will deter NOBODY!!!!   98237423  billion people visit these polluted cities.  

the reason?   pollution generally won't kill you soon.....so people don't think too much about it.  

if soooo many people go there, it must not be that bad, right?   all these people aren't forced there, and it's not a prison..

it's the same with all DUMB behavior ... no condoms, drinking too much, smoking, bike without a helmet, etc.......  99% of humans can't think beyond what a soi dog would do

ok, it's March....i'm off to Chiang Mai!!!!!    look at all these farangs, must be OK!!!  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mr mr said:

2 packs a day ? damn that is dedication to your craft. 

the higher levels in bkk are probably playing havoc with your weak lungs. probably why you seem to get sick easy. 

quit the ciggies my man you can do it. ????

I quit Bangkok long before I quit cigarettes. 

• Like 1

The air quality issues around Bangkok, are primarily caused by poorly maintained diesel vehicle emissions, diesel fired power plants, the worst of them all, crop burning, and a few other industries. It is not a major manufacturing issue, like in the large Chinese cities. Therefore, it is far easier to address, and to control. If the authorities were competent, less corrupt, and less indifferent. 

There is a very simple solution to this problem. If the authorities were interested in solutions. The burning has to stop. There are alternatives, to this 19th century technique of burning after the sugar cane harvest. Either the government starts to encourage farmers to switch to more environmentally friendly crops, or they start to penalize farmers for burning. This heinous burning, is leading to a tremendous degree of environmental degradation, and alot of lung disease. So here is what I propose-

1. Fine the farmers 5,000 baht for a first offense, and give them a stern warning, that burning is now prohibited, and the second fine will be very harsh.

2. For a second offense, fine the farmer 100,000 baht, and warn them that if the burning continues, their land will be confiscated.

3. On the 3rd offense, confiscate their land. Period. No questions. No legal proceeding or appeals on the part of the farmers. Allow others to come in and purchase the land at a fair price, with the caveat that sugar is prohibited as a crop to be grown on that land.
The news would travel faster than the toxic smoke, and farmers would change their ways overnight, and move into the 21st century.

Then they can move on to tackle the sale of diesel vehicles, and the government's enthusiastic support of such. It is inane in this day and age. Most nations are moving away from diesel for good reasons. When they are not well maintained, they foul the air, with large, nasty particles. And who properly maintains their vehicle here?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, donnacha said:

London better than Edinburgh?

Sydney better than Wellington?

Absolute nonsense.

london has restrictions on vehicles entering the city. when j visited last year the few vehicles i saw were mostly Toyota Prius hybrid electric vehicles.

the most used public transport was electric tube train.

I doubt that is the same for Edinburgh?

51 minutes ago, Cadan said:

No surprise as long as these 40 year old diesel busses run in the center and blow out black clouds - ever been on a motor bike behind one ? ????

Please post current picture of 40-year old diesel bus in Bangkok. The majority are now NGV.

But hey. TV and Thai bashing go hand in hand

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Thanks 1

What folks here should take from this news report, even though it's not actually mentioned in the OP article:

We're now heading toward November, which traditionally is the start of the bad smog season in Bangkok and surrounding areas. And the past few days were the first time I've had to fire up my home air purifiers in some months.

In short -- get ready, because the mild air pollution we're experiencing now is just the beginning of a lot worse that's likely coming in the months ahead.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The air quality issues around Bangkok, are primarily caused by poorly maintained diesel vehicle emissions, diesel fired power plants, the worst of them all, crop burning, and a few other industries. It is not a major manufacturing issue, like in the large Chinese cities. Therefore, it is far easier to address, and to control. If the authorities were competent, less corrupt, and less indifferent. 

There is a very simple solution to this problem. If the authorities were interested in solutions. The burning has to stop. There are alternatives, to this 19th century technique of burning after the sugar cane harvest. Either the government starts to encourage farmers to switch to more environmentally friendly crops, or they start to penalize farmers for burning. This heinous burning, is leading to a tremendous degree of environmental degradation, and alot of lung disease. So here is what I propose-

1. Fine the farmers 5,000 baht for a first offense, and give them a stern warning, that burning is now prohibited, and the second fine will be very harsh.

2. For a second offense, fine the farmer 100,000 baht, and warn them that if the burning continues, their land will be confiscated.

3. On the 3rd offense, confiscate their land. Period. No questions. No legal proceeding or appeals on the part of the farmers. Allow others to come in and purchase the land at a fair price, with the caveat that sugar is prohibited as a crop to be grown on that land.
The news would travel faster than the toxic smoke, and farmers would change their ways overnight, and move into the 21st century.

Then they can move on to tackle the sale of diesel vehicles, and the government's enthusiastic support of such. It is inane in this day and age. Most nations are moving away from diesel for good reasons. When they are not well maintained, they foul the air, with large, nasty particles. And who properly maintains their vehicle here?

succinct answer with many logical and well thought out ideas. 

however............TIT ????

• Like 1