Thai govt to draw up list of Covid-19 low-risk countries to consider easing restrictions

webfact

Government to draw up list of Covid-19 low-risk countries to consider easing restrictions

By The Nation

s3.reutersmedia.jpg

File photo; REUTERS

The Public Health Ministry will make a list of low-risk countries for the Covid-19 pandemic, which will be submitted to the Interior Ministry to draw up criteria for further easing restrictions on entry of foreigners into the country.

Government Spokesman Anuchai Burapachaisri said that the list would also be used to consider reduction of the quarantine period from the current mandatory 14 days.

Danucha Pichayanan, secretary-general of the National Economic and Social Development Council, said that it was important to set up clear criteria to grant foreigners entry.

The Centre for Economic Situation Administration at a recent meeting reportedly discussed the private sector's proposal to ease restrictions on the entry of foreign investors and business persons, including a shorter quarantine period.

The Public Health, Tourism and Sports and Foreign ministries are jointly drawing up clearer rules on this.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30396709

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-10-26

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Danucha Pichayanan, secretary-general of the National Economic and Social Development Council, said that it was important to set up clear criteria to grant foreigners entry.

Considering that policies change faster than an "under the table cash exchange" I wonder who that's going to work out.

• Like 1

First off they are reducing a quarantine that they never really allowed anyone to apply for????‍♂️. Sure you can say no one will come but whats really keeping people away is the hurdles. Long stay visitor would have come..

Second if you are saying countries with lower covid case get lower does this mean you will open flights to allow even higher covid countries in as long as they 14 day.

57 minutes ago, Xonax said:

Right now Europe is struggeling with a second wave of Covid 19 and USA are registring record high numbers of infection. Only China and North Korea seems to be relatively Covid 19 free, but can we trust these numbers published by the Chinese and North Korean governments?

It's still the first wave since the disease never flattened out and went away for a while. As for trusting the numbers. Well even here in Europe I don't trust all statistics because each country test and register their data in different ways. 

I do however trust them more than China and Thailand. 

It's crazy how few people that has been tested in Thailand.

Here in Denmark almost 50% of the entire population has been tested and about 1,4 % has been tested positive. 

Is or really so bad to test a lot and publish the results, or is it just because Thailand fear it would hurt their turist industry even more in the future? 

Personally I couldn't care less if Thailand had 1% or 10% of the population tested positive.

I will still come back when I get the chance. 

I miss the sun, food, lovely beaches, kind people and the general nice and chilled atmosphere there is in Thailand. 

As for Thailands travel list.

It's going to be a short list these days. 

8 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Covid is sure to hit China again, and hard, within the next couple of weeks or so.

Already there are outbreaks all over the Country

The reason I say this is because it was just about this time that the Virus actually manifested itself in China.

It was then several more weeks after trying to hush it up that the CCP had to declare it to the WHO.

Thailand will want to Tango with the Devil for sure.

Wouldn't you expect that China is a bit more prepared now and not taken by surprise like last year? 

It's still a disgrace that they tried to hide the outbreak, but if they haven't learned anything from last year, then Thailand truly needs to pay attention. 

3 hours ago, Xonax said:

Only China and North Korea seems to be relatively Covid 19 free, but can we trust these numbers published by the Chinese and North Korean governments?

I would ask that question in this way: 

Only China, North Korea, Turkmenistan and Thailand seem to be relatively Covid 19 free, but can we trust these numbers published by their totalitarian governments?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Flying Saucage said:

I would ask that question in this way: 

Only China, North Korea, Turkmenistan and Thailand seem to be relatively Covid 19 free, but can we trust these numbers published by their totalitarian governments?

You can add a few more countries to that list in 'mainland southeast asia'.

The big difference between this region and China of course is the all important weather, China will be cold and dry for the whole winter starting soon, SEA will be hot and humid as usual.

That's why China still has a massive COVID problem (they just don't admit it) and it's only getting started this winter, they know it's there, they know it's coming and they know why / how.

6 hours ago, Xonax said:

Right now Europe is struggeling with a second wave of Covid 19 and USA are registring record high numbers of infection. Only China and North Korea seems to be relatively Covid 19 free, but can we trust these numbers published by the Chinese and North Korean governments?

So you only read the Asian news? Australia and NZ are the world leaders in low Covid infection numbers and that is honest and reliable info. Believing that China or N. Korea are low is extremely naive 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

Zimbabwe

Mali 

Botswana

Udom Suk

Haiti

Afghanistan

Ekkamai

Tianjin

Peking

Pattaya (or Patya) like some Americans say.

Botswana certainly is very low risk. They have better  Covid management than Europe. Just personal experience. The whole of Africa does better than Europe.