Four in ten supporters of Biden, Trump would not accept election defeat

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Smaller portions would take action to make their displeasure known: 22% of Biden supporters and 16% of Trump supporters said they would engage in street protests or even violence if their preferred candidate loses.

But what proportion of these also own enough ARs, ammo etc to make their own Rambo movie?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's rather amazing how a thread/article title can misrepresent the true meaning of its content.  Here is another title to the same article...

[Majority of Biden, Trump supporters will accept election results no matter who wins, poll shows]

https://news.yahoo.com/majority-biden-trump-supporters-accept-154100140.html

Edited by Berkshire
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"The survey, conducted from Oct. 13-20, shows 43% of Biden supporters would not accept a Trump victory, while 41% of Americans who want to re-elect Trump would not accept a win by Biden".

What I read from this is the inference, intentional or not, that Biden supporters are not Americans but specifically "Americans who want to re-elect Trump" are.  Made my day.  How did they let this slip by?

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, timkeen08 said:

"The survey, conducted from Oct. 13-20, shows 43% of Biden supporters would not accept a Trump victory, while 41% of Americans who want to re-elect Trump would not accept a win by Biden".

What I read from this is the inference, intentional or not, that Biden supporters are not Americans but specifically "Americans who want to re-elect Trump" are.  Made my day.  How did they let this slip by?

If you read it that way you're reading something that was said nor implied.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Thoughtful post, thank you.

In order to win the battle for this vote - the vote of the disillusioned working middle class, and indeed also those in the UK we might call the better off working class, you need scapegoats. The cries of "Drain the swamp" "Lock her up" "Build a wall" illustrate three. Similar scapegoats with xenophobic EU hatred, hatred and fear of immigrants, and despising people less fortunate than you, were all alive and well in the Brexit campaign, and very cleverly targeted in a similar way. The opposition in 2016 and 2019 (UK) were useless. The tragedy in all of this was that we (Baby boomers) thought we had built an education system, which would help people make rational decisions on political issues. What we see instead is frighteningly large proportion of voters acting close to a mindless mob from the Middle Ages.

We agree. I see many here retired working middle class from Europe, North America, Australians better able to afford a working middle class retirement in a lower cost country. Oh, I am not whining ... I am quite happy ... especially now ... being in a safer country.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

If you read it that way you're reading something that was said nor implied.

Maybe I just see the humor of what's supposed to be a news report using two different phrases for whats should be direct comparisons.   But I agree that Trump supporters are Americans which is what the report does not say about Biden supporters.  A hilarious report item.  You don't have to laugh if you don't want to.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, timkeen08 said:

Maybe I just see the humor of what's supposed to be a news report using two different phrases for whats should be direct comparisons.   But I agree that Trump supporters are Americans which is what the report does not say about Biden supporters.  A hilarious report item.  You don't have to laugh if you don't want to.

Naw, you're just reading in it what you want to, even if said nor implied.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 5:27 AM, Slip said:

What a nonsense article. "Would not accept"?  Short of armed insurrection no-one polled has any choice but to accept.  Are they confusing the word "accept" with the word "like"?

Indeed, one would like to see the actual wording of the question, and how the term "accept" was defined to those interviewed.

• Like 2

Another excellent (and quite long) article pn this topic of dangerous division. I reckon most Americans on either side can relate to it on some level. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/magazine/2020/10/26/gene-weingarten-divided-country-healing/

In Search of Healing

America is facing one of the deepest divides in our history — and, no matter who wins the election, a difficult path forward

15 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/donald-trump-nigel-farage-arizona-rally-075404255.html

Donald Trump invites Nigel Farage on stage to urge supporters to ‘vote for decency’ in US election

So he was campaigning for Biden then. Biden's brand is decency. 45s brand is chaos, race baiting, division, misinformation, and negligent homicide.

• Like 1