'People must brace for new-normal lifestyle for at least two years before Covid-19 is contained'

webfact

More fear mongering.

Still, at least this "virologist" is being half-honest. Just that things will never get back to normal. Mask wearing will become "normal" globally, even in the few places where it hasn't occurred so far.

Moreover, vaccine or not, even 5 or 10 years from now we'll still be living this "new abnormal". It's absurd to think that even in 2 years we'll just wake up and everything will be normal again.

It's not going to happen.

39 minutes ago, Bluedan said:

no I just made a statement so you could ridicule me ????

Brainwashed by MSM??? its quite the opposite ...MSM are the ones who don't want it to be over often sponsored by big pharma and ratings are great with stories of fear and death..Im critical of their role in this. Authoritarian governments also.... its a blessing for them to be able to continue to promote fear to control their populations. I am thinking outside the box I really don't get what your issue is? Im not even saying there is a conspiracy and I dint believe there is , its just natural for the powerful and the rich to take advantage of the situation in front of them.

Enjoyed most of your comment but it's a bit naive to think that there is no "conspiracy" between the rich and powerful to change the world to suit their vision of the world. Just one look inside Klaus Schwab's book "Covid 19 The Great Reset" by the WEF confirms something is going on.

Anyway, I don't want to get further into this. You were very much on the right track with your comment. I should also add that even governments not normally considered to be "authoritarian" have turned totally authoritarian (including Australia's Victoria state) while some of the more "authoritarian" ones like China are, depending on the region of the country, perhaps not as authoritarian as they were at the beginning of the crisis and much less so than many parts of Europe and even, parts of the USA. I say this because in many Chinese schools, masks are no longer required since June...whereas in an increasing number of European countries they are doubling down on mask requirements once again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluedan said:

Its in the interests of some that it never be over...a constant state of fear and emergency bans on large gatherings face masks etc. 

Yes the statement made by this virologist very much mirrors what the Canadian health minister said several weeks back - "we must wear face masks for the next 3 years".

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I found this article from The Centre for Evidence-based Medicine to be the very informative of the current situation, albeit it was released on 17 September 2020, long in the tooth, but you can scroll down to land where ever you like, from my perspective of reading it in full, it states from it's findings that Covid-19 peaked in March/April and that increases in the spread of infection are normal, in other words, it has weakened in the death count, suffice to say the excess deaths were actually inflated the way they were reporting the deaths.

Make what you will from it, each to their own, it is not a conspiracy theory, nor is it from the left or the right, and I have not seen it in any news to date.

Edit: Link:https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/pcr-positives-what-do-they-mean/

Good article, they address some of the curiouser aspects in recent European data. In particular, why are deaths still low with fast rising cases. They point out that  PCR has a 14 day lag time after a real infection when you may test positive even though you are no longer infectious, the dead RNA argument. To be precise, such tests correctly represent cases, but fail to show they are no longer infective.

They also estimate the infection-to-death lag time seen in the first wave, which was short. They then suggest the second wave may be the same. This may be less accurate since PCR testing was just coming on line in the first wave. We may be testing earlier in the infection cycle now.

Unfortunately, the more recent huge spike in hospitalizations contradicts their main premise. Hospitalizations are real and serious cases. To their credit, they didn't see that data.

Even so, it's a valuable paper even if the final conclusion is not fully correct. That's science.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, rabas said:

Daily hospitalizations in Europe are sky-rocketing, way above the US or anything seen before. Just 6 countries Germany, UK, France, Italy, Spain, and Switzerland are near 100,000/day.  The Check republic and Brussels are off the charts.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/10/22/world/europe/europe-hospitals-covid.html

It's the flu season, it's expected respiratory illnesses spread effectively this time. Should be over sometime end of November in most places when temps go under zero. Compared to the spring peak, when it hit the naive population, this is still manageable. Which the countries are doing in varying degrees. Excess mortality is rising, but again low compared to spring. Let's see how November goes.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So poster Bluedan is a virologist now, good God, so many arm chair professors.  Looking forward to seeing his vetted reports and investigations posted.

Idiots like this Dr Yong are given a platform on an almost weekly basis to spread their nonsense (the white/black sheep allegory in his 'explanation' is beyond stupidity). 

So imo @Bluedan is doing a very good job by expressing and posting the point of view of many ignored/censored or even ridiculed scientists and doctors whose views are not aligned with what government/media try to sell us.

It is very sad that any view deviating from the official policy (even when backed up by facts and figures and reports from medical professionals and eminent scientists) is automatically labelled a conspiracy theory.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I have no ego.  My comment which you take offense to was a direct response to another posters post where he used the word virologist in describing your previous post.  No cheap shot directed at you it was a direct comment to his post. So review and digest it scientifically and please do not pontificate to me. If this is truly the new normal to which and, how you respond well then......no more comments from me.  On a research basis try and look openly and not paint yourself into a corner.

Actually if you read his post he was talking about the Thai doctor not about me. But you are too quick to comment without thinking. I didn't take offense but find it boring that you feel the need to take the <deleted> without any constructive criticism...Everyone has an ego and looks like you have plenty to spare. No more comments from you? Well I'm not going to be able to sleep now.

Edited by Bluedan

18 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Dr. Stefan Baral is not quite correct. There has never been herd immunity for diseases such as tetanus, that live in the soil and are not transmitted person to person. Same goes for Legionella pneumophila from cooling towers.

Therefore, saying herd immunity is as valid a concept as gravity is nonsense. Gravity doesn't do exceptions.

However, for infections disease such as covid it is. Did you watch the Great Barrington summit or give it any serious attention?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

However, for infections disease such as covid it is. Did you watch the Great Barrington summit or give it any serious attention?

I relied on your post, was I wrong to do that?

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

I relied on your post, was I wrong to do that?

No. However, I certainly could not go into all the details in a 2 hour video of the summit with Q & A as well as other information available on the website, etc. I recommend the time to consider it.

Also, in this summit, please realize that they were not referring to tetanus or other non communicable illnesses, but the epidemiologists were focused on illnesses of the same ilk as covid. Apologies if I am being repetitive. Have a good one : )

• Like 2

8 hours ago, fruitman said:

Right now the governments should promote healthy food with vitamin D....but they don;t....They do ban cigarette advertisings though.

But also fast food does NOT make people fat...it all depends on how much energy the person burns and eat...And people are still free to eat what they want. We all know that it's not healthy to get overweighted but some just don't care.

You are kidding, right? All fast food chains add sugar, salt and fat to their recipes to enhance flavor and create addicts to their products, just like cigarette companies used to add nicotine.

A McDonald's Angus burger is 620 calories, that's one quarter of the recommended daily calorie intake in a single hit.

2 hours ago, Bluedan said:

you assume wrong ...another poor assumption on your part

I have lived-in Thailand 12 years and did post a few times early on but just didn't post for a long time partly because of the insults and cheap shots people tend to take on these forums, but I feel passionate about this issue so I decided to speak up 

totally disagree with your generalization about he internet just like any form of media there is the good and the bad and I do my best to wade through it. If you read my previous posts you will get that I dont base all of my views on this topic from one media source I look at them all...newsprint TV and yes also the internet

like wise totally disagree with your generalization about the intelligence attached to particular occupations...sometimes its a mater of opportunity not IQ.

didn't post for a long time partly because of the insults and cheap shots people tend to take on these forums,

I agree with that 100%. Seems to me that some posters spend a lot of time taking cheap shots at other posters.

I just post my opinions and whatever I write today will be buried under loads of more recent posts by tomorrow, so I don't get too invested in the attacks on what I write, of which there are many.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You are kidding, right? All fast food chains add sugar, salt and fat to their recipes to enhance flavor and create addicts to their products, just like cigarette companies used to add nicotine.

A McDonald's Angus burger is 620 calories, that's one quarter of the recommended daily calorie intake in a single hit.

If I go out and dig a ton of dirt, that'd take care of a few burgers worth of calories.

Problem today is so little energy needs to be expended that we eat far too much for the energy we use. Don't even have to wind the car window up and down anymore.

Humans have invented ways to stop us using energy and the evidence is everywhere with all the "large" people we see.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If I go out and dig a ton of dirt, that'd take care of a few burgers worth of calories.

Problem today is so little energy needs to be expended that we eat far too much for the energy we use. Don't even have to wind the car window up and down anymore.

Humans have invented ways to stop us using energy and the evidence is everywhere with all the "large" people we see.

While I don't disagree with you, people tend to underestimate the amount of work required to burn off excess calories.

The other aspect is portion control. When one compares the size of a true average Thai meal with what gets served up in America as standard, it's no wonder Thailand is ranked #140 in the world, and the USA #12 in terms of obesity level. If the Polynesian nations with their genetic predisposition are excluded, America is running second just behind Kuwait.

The first time I went to America, I was astounded by the portion sizes, 2 - 3 times what I would eat in Australia.

• Like 2

On 10/26/2020 at 5:58 AM, simon43 said:

"New normal lifestyle"?  I'm intrigued also as to what this is.  My lifestyle is absolutely unchanged.  I can only think it refers to international travel, which certainly has been affected.  Otherwise, no changes here....

Spot on old chap, same for me. The problem is overseas but for here the message I get from the Government is "Virus! what virus!" after all they have had so few cases and so few deaths. 

18 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

????????????????

Vaccines work by stimulating the body to make a defence against a particular virus. Far as I'm aware that makes them "immune" to that disease.

When I google "vaccine and immunization difference" I get the response

Vaccination: The act of introducing a vaccine into the body to produce immunity to a specific disease. Immunization: A process by which a person becomes protected against a disease through vaccination. This term is often used interchangeably with vaccination or inoculation.

are you in charge of the development of vaccines? Do you know what are the ingredients in the vaccines? 

if your answer is NO and NO, sorry you are just another one relying on blind trust. If your answer is YES, go ahead and proof for Thai Visa audience how safety it is, really go in full details, I am all ears.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

"Why was information not in accordance with the desired political agenda not considered"?

There has been much information contrary to the lockdown mode available, much of it discussed on here, and the obvious example of Sweden, all of which was, IMO, attacked and disregarded by those in charge.

Agree, and who knows, this may be a drill for more things to come in the future.

The above said, I couldn't help notice the other day that Melbourne Australia conveniently achieved ZERO infections after strict lockdowns for a while, many just about having had enough, suffice to say, they are slowly reducing the controls previously put in place.

The question going forward is I believe people should learn from this and oust governments at the next election, while at the same time lobbying their senators to take to parliament and make sure such control measures are never put on the people, but we know that isn't going to happen, and if anyone thinks control is a good thing, well as we say in Oz, how much can a Koala bare (bear), wait till you see the what they do with vaccines measures, i.e. if you don't get the jab, you will be forced to quarantine for 14 days at your cost, you won't receive any government entitlements from welfare, and that's just for starters.

Sadl vaccines will become the next "mandatory" phase, like them or not, you will have a choice, but at a cost to you the black sheep. 

Last but not least, I couldn't help notice you called it an epidemic, which is spot on !

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, polpott said:

My daughter works on a Covid ward in the UK as a senior nursing sister. Her ward is again reaching capacity with the sick and dying. Primarily because of people with your attitude. Her words for people like you, "Ignorant, selfish scum".

In Belgium ( where i am from ) 1st emergency hospital is opened tomorrow since the normal hospital is full . There is still a bit of room in the other hospitals , but they expect to be 100% full in the next 2 weeks ( meltdown ), and now the general hospital population is already higher then during 1st wave , which hit here very hard already . Hospital staff is also 15% down due to illness .

I know 2 persons working in healthcare 1 nurse ( niece of me ) and somebody who works ambulance . He said this week that he never seen this , not even in 1st wave , having persons of 40/50y old suffocating , shaking on the floor .

I told it here before , 1st wave in april , 4 far family members died in 3 weeks time , 1 other person friend of my parents did stay ICU for a few days and came out a completely different person ( meaning very serious side-effects ) . I know several others who did get tested positive , but had mild to no symptoms .

And still people like to do illegal party's or other forms of social contact , because they only think about themselves . But they forget , that it is because of that kind of behaviour that it spreads , and gets more people sick , making stronger rules needed for everybody .

Nobody likes masks , nobody likes lockdowns , everybody wants to go back to normal life before Covid .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, polpott said:

My daughter works on a Covid ward in the UK as a senior nursing sister. Her ward is again reaching capacity with the sick and dying. Primarily because of people with your attitude. Her words for people like you, "Ignorant, selfish scum".

Did she do a Q and A with everyone in the ward to come to your conclusion that everyone was ignorant and a selfish scum, or is this your typical name calling and embellishment?  I bet everyone in that ward was also wearing a mask and following social distancing and still caught the virus.  

• Sad 2

On 10/26/2020 at 5:58 AM, simon43 said:

"New normal lifestyle"?  I'm intrigued also as to what this is.  My lifestyle is absolutely unchanged.  I can only think it refers to international travel, which certainly has been affected.  Otherwise, no changes here....

Other than masks, much the same here. In the last 5/6 weeks we have traveled around Thailand, from Ao Nang to Khao Kho, more than in the last 5/6 years.

In the local area the amount of building going on has increased significantly and all sort of shops springing up all over the place. Markets are busier than they have ever been, as though the population has increased. The real downside of the "new normal" is the increased traffic congestion, looks like the old normal gone for good.