'People must brace for new-normal lifestyle for at least two years before Covid-19 is contained'

Two more years?

I am already almost one year locked in my house and more and more world closing.

And I am getting older by seconds not years.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

people need to stand up and say no.

People need to tell covid deniers to go away.

I don't the think "new normal" is going to last much longer in Europe, unrest developing in Poland, Italy, Germany and the UK. Judging by the Thai protests things will be changing too.

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If I go out and dig a ton of dirt, that'd take care of a few burgers worth of calories.

Problem today is so little energy needs to be expended that we eat far too much for the energy we use. Don't even have to wind the car window up and down anymore.

Humans have invented ways to stop us using energy and the evidence is everywhere with all the "large" people we see.

While I don't disagree with you, people tend to underestimate the amount of work required to burn off excess calories.

The other aspect is portion control. When one compares the size of a true average Thai meal with what gets served up in America as standard, it's no wonder Thailand is ranked #140 in the world, and the USA #12 in terms of obesity level. If the Polynesian nations with their genetic predisposition are excluded, America is running second just behind Kuwait.

The first time I went to America, I was astounded by the portion sizes, 2 - 3 times what I would eat in Australia.

• Like 2
On 10/26/2020 at 5:58 AM, simon43 said:

"New normal lifestyle"?  I'm intrigued also as to what this is.  My lifestyle is absolutely unchanged.  I can only think it refers to international travel, which certainly has been affected.  Otherwise, no changes here....

Spot on old chap, same for me. The problem is overseas but for here the message I get from the Government is "Virus! what virus!" after all they have had so few cases and so few deaths. 

Posts using trolling memes and trolling images have been removed.

Off topic inflammatory bickering posts and the replies have been removed.

Some conspiracy posts and the replies have been removed. 

18 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

????????????????

Vaccines work by stimulating the body to make a defence against a particular virus. Far as I'm aware that makes them "immune" to that disease.

When I google "vaccine and immunization difference" I get the response

Vaccination: The act of introducing a vaccine into the body to produce immunity to a specific disease. Immunization: A process by which a person becomes protected against a disease through vaccination. This term is often used interchangeably with vaccination or inoculation.

are you in charge of the development of vaccines? Do you know what are the ingredients in the vaccines? 

if your answer is NO and NO, sorry you are just another one relying on blind trust. If your answer is YES, go ahead and proof for Thai Visa audience how safety it is, really go in full details, I am all ears.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

"Why was information not in accordance with the desired political agenda not considered"?

There has been much information contrary to the lockdown mode available, much of it discussed on here, and the obvious example of Sweden, all of which was, IMO, attacked and disregarded by those in charge.

Agree, and who knows, this may be a drill for more things to come in the future.

The above said, I couldn't help notice the other day that Melbourne Australia conveniently achieved ZERO infections after strict lockdowns for a while, many just about having had enough, suffice to say, they are slowly reducing the controls previously put in place.

The question going forward is I believe people should learn from this and oust governments at the next election, while at the same time lobbying their senators to take to parliament and make sure such control measures are never put on the people, but we know that isn't going to happen, and if anyone thinks control is a good thing, well as we say in Oz, how much can a Koala bare (bear), wait till you see the what they do with vaccines measures, i.e. if you don't get the jab, you will be forced to quarantine for 14 days at your cost, you won't receive any government entitlements from welfare, and that's just for starters.

Sadl vaccines will become the next "mandatory" phase, like them or not, you will have a choice, but at a cost to you the black sheep. 

Last but not least, I couldn't help notice you called it an epidemic, which is spot on !

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

And this is why lock downs are about the worst option you can take. With lock downs it will be a slow and devastating proces. Open up, except casulties and move on. Otherwise the damage on numerous elements of the society will be much bigger.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
41 minutes ago, polpott said:

My daughter works on a Covid ward in the UK as a senior nursing sister. Her ward is again reaching capacity with the sick and dying. Primarily because of people with your attitude. Her words for people like you, "Ignorant, selfish scum".

In Belgium ( where i am from ) 1st emergency hospital is opened tomorrow since the normal hospital is full . There is still a bit of room in the other hospitals , but they expect to be 100% full in the next 2 weeks ( meltdown ), and now the general hospital population is already higher then during 1st wave , which hit here very hard already . Hospital staff is also 15% down due to illness .

I know 2 persons working in healthcare 1 nurse ( niece of me ) and somebody who works ambulance . He said this week that he never seen this , not even in 1st wave , having persons of 40/50y old suffocating , shaking on the floor .

I told it here before , 1st wave in april , 4 far family members died in 3 weeks time , 1 other person friend of my parents did stay ICU for a few days and came out a completely different person ( meaning very serious side-effects ) . I know several others who did get tested positive , but had mild to no symptoms .

And still people like to do illegal party's or other forms of social contact , because they only think about themselves . But they forget , that it is because of that kind of behaviour that it spreads , and gets more people sick , making stronger rules needed for everybody .

Nobody likes masks , nobody likes lockdowns , everybody wants to go back to normal life before Covid .

• Like 1
2 hours ago, polpott said:

My daughter works on a Covid ward in the UK as a senior nursing sister. Her ward is again reaching capacity with the sick and dying. Primarily because of people with your attitude. Her words for people like you, "Ignorant, selfish scum".

Did she do a Q and A with everyone in the ward to come to your conclusion that everyone was ignorant and a selfish scum, or is this your typical name calling and embellishment?  I bet everyone in that ward was also wearing a mask and following social distancing and still caught the virus.  

• Sad 2
On 10/26/2020 at 5:58 AM, simon43 said:

"New normal lifestyle"?  I'm intrigued also as to what this is.  My lifestyle is absolutely unchanged.  I can only think it refers to international travel, which certainly has been affected.  Otherwise, no changes here....

Other than masks, much the same here. In the last 5/6 weeks we have traveled around Thailand, from Ao Nang to Khao Kho, more than in the last 5/6 years.

In the local area the amount of building going on has increased significantly and all sort of shops springing up all over the place. Markets are busier than they have ever been, as though the population has increased. The real downside of the "new normal" is the increased traffic congestion, looks like the old normal gone for good.