Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi, not sure, whether this is the right subforum, please accept my apologies. 

I am thinking which option to choose for my wife(thai national) when she needs to return to Thailand. 

Repatriation flight with THAI(with free SQ) or semi-commercial flight(with paid ASQ) 

The cost of the latter is, including the price of ASQ (or can be) actually lower than the first one.

While repatriation flight with THAI is around 1000 €, one way, I could get a return ticket (from Europe, with Qatar, Austrian, Lufthansa) + ASQ, at nearly same price, even lower, should the Government decide to cut quarantine from 14 days to, let's say, 10.

 

However, I am concerned, whether these flights will take place?

 

If planes are half empty, will they fly? 

 

 

Any good advices? 

 

Thank you. 

Edited by drenddy
Link to post
Share on other sites

A good question and additionally things are changing by the minute.

 

One example that might help is that Thai Inter are operating repay flights from Bkk to Sydney and Sydney to Bkk.  Both ways the maximum number of passengers is 30/35, to allow for on board distancing.

 

Both ways the TG fare is around 26,00 to 29,000Baht economy, full service.

 

Obviously need CoE to enter Thailand.

 

Both directions currently need quarantine at passengers' cost, currently 14 days each way, maybe reduced soon to 10 days, wait and see.

Link to post
Share on other sites

All I can tell you is that after applying through the Australiann Embassy for the 5th time I actually helped get my mate on a Thai flight to Sydney last night.($24,000 one way) He is in a quarantine hotel now (66,000 Bht)

So Thai are flying them.

His visa was 2 months overdue & he was unable to renew as he came here before March

Just waved him through

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to be sure the flight will take place - use State Quarantine.

 

My wife had a flight from London to Bangkok booked with Etihad this month. I booked it because some airlines are (wrongly) requiring travellers from Thailand to the UK to have a return ticket. As is happens she was asked to show her return by the check-in staff working for Finnair so she didn't have to fight with them/risk being denied boarding.

 

As we never intended actually using the return flight I simply bought the cheapest one I could find that had a guaranteed refund. Fortunately that was with Etihad so I was able to pay part cash, part Air Miles.

 

However, whilst my wife was in the UK the new policy of allowing those booking ASQ to use commercial flights was introduced so we considered booking ASQ and using the Etihad flight.  I'm glad we didn't because Etihad changed the flight time/date twice and finally cancelled it. Etihad were pretty good with the refund though - my miles were refunded almost immediately and the cash took 3 weeks.

 

You can try looking at flight arrivals at Suvarnabhumi to see which flights are the most reliable - the airport's own website gives the day's arrivals whilst other flight tracking sites give some history.  Flightradar 24 gives 5 days history (without subscription) I believe.  Even then, the Thai authorities keep on issuing new proposals for opening up, the airlines respond accodingly then the Thai's change their mind again and the airlines cancel.

 

The price of 1000 Euros you suggest for a repat flight with Thai seems very expensive though.  When October's repat flights from the UK were announced the price varied all month as they do with normal flights. My wife's was £551 (607 Euros) when we booked it but a week later it was £798 (879 Euros).

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

If you want to be sure the flight will take place - use State Quarantine.

 

My wife had a flight from London to Bangkok booked with Etihad this month. I booked it because some airlines are (wrongly) requiring travellers from Thailand to the UK to have a return ticket. As is happens she was asked to show her return by the check-in staff working for Finnair so she didn't have to fight with them/risk being denied boarding.

 

As we never intended actually using the return flight I simply bought the cheapest one I could find that had a guaranteed refund. Fortunately that was with Etihad so I was able to pay part cash, part Air Miles.

 

However, whilst my wife was in the UK the new policy of allowing those booking ASQ to use commercial flights was introduced so we considered booking ASQ and using the Etihad flight.  I'm glad we didn't because Etihad changed the flight time/date twice and finally cancelled it. Etihad were pretty good with the refund though - my miles were refunded almost immediately and the cash took 3 weeks.

 

You can try looking at flight arrivals at Suvarnabhumi to see which flights are the most reliable - the airport's own website gives the day's arrivals whilst other flight tracking sites give some history.  Flightradar 24 gives 5 days history (without subscription) I believe.  Even then, the Thai authorities keep on issuing new proposals for opening up, the airlines respond accodingly then the Thai's change their mind again and the airlines cancel.

 

The price of 1000 Euros you suggest for a repat flight with Thai seems very expensive though.  When October's repat flights from the UK were announced the price varied all month as they do with normal flights. My wife's was £551 (607 Euros) when we booked it but a week later it was £798 (879 Euros).

 

Thank you for your post. 

Still waiting, perhaps new rules coming these weeks. 

 

You are right, safest is with Thai Airways + SQ on a repat flight, but pretty expensive in my opinion, one way, at more than 1k €, actually. 

Flying from Denmark. 

 

I've checked Flightradar24 and it seems Lufthansa has flown the last week 3 times, Austrian, as well, has 2 completed flights and one in the air, as I write.

 

Money wise, best option would be commercial flight + ASQ, but not saving a fortune, though. 

And nor forgetting mandatory Covid-19 test(in case of positive test, need to deal with the Airline and Hotel) 

 

SQ, and Thai, seems safest bet. 

 

Will wait and see. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

If you want to be sure the flight will take place - use State Quarantine.

 

My wife had a flight from London to Bangkok booked with Etihad this month. I booked it because some airlines are (wrongly) requiring travellers from Thailand to the UK to have a return ticket. As is happens she was asked to show her return by the check-in staff working for Finnair so she didn't have to fight with them/risk being denied boarding.

 

As we never intended actually using the return flight I simply bought the cheapest one I could find that had a guaranteed refund. Fortunately that was with Etihad so I was able to pay part cash, part Air Miles.

 

However, whilst my wife was in the UK the new policy of allowing those booking ASQ to use commercial flights was introduced so we considered booking ASQ and using the Etihad flight.  I'm glad we didn't because Etihad changed the flight time/date twice and finally cancelled it. Etihad were pretty good with the refund though - my miles were refunded almost immediately and the cash took 3 weeks.

 

You can try looking at flight arrivals at Suvarnabhumi to see which flights are the most reliable - the airport's own website gives the day's arrivals whilst other flight tracking sites give some history.  Flightradar 24 gives 5 days history (without subscription) I believe.  Even then, the Thai authorities keep on issuing new proposals for opening up, the airlines respond accodingly then the Thai's change their mind again and the airlines cancel.

 

The price of 1000 Euros you suggest for a repat flight with Thai seems very expensive though.  When October's repat flights from the UK were announced the price varied all month as they do with normal flights. My wife's was £551 (607 Euros) when we booked it but a week later it was £798 (879 Euros).

 

Quote:

 

However, whilst my wife was in the UK the new policy of allowing those booking ASQ to use commercial flights was introduced so we considered booking ASQ and using the Etihad flight. "

 

Would you please where to find the new policy you mentioned. I'm interested to know if this is possible Sydney to Bangkok.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, scorecard said:

 

Quote:

 

However, whilst my wife was in the UK the new policy of allowing those booking ASQ to use commercial flights was introduced so we considered booking ASQ and using the Etihad flight. "

 

Would you please where to find the new policy you mentioned. I'm interested to know if this is possible Sydney to Bangkok.

Chek with your Thai Embassy. Certainly in the UK you can now use commercial flights.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with a commercial flight and cancellations is that firstly, the COE is dated and secondly, the Fit to Fly letter has to be done within 72 hours of the flight.  An airline cancelling at the last minute could mean you having to obtain another Fit to Fly. That may reduce or obliterate any savings you might make.

 

On the other hand if you are wishing to book a return flight - commercial flights are way cheaper.  You cannot (at least in the UK) book a return flight where the outbound is a repat flight - 2 bookings are needed.

 

If and when I decide to visit my wife I will probably go commercial as I need a return.  The most reliable I've seen from Europe - watching flight radar, is KLM followed by Qatar.  Things change all the time, I'll make a decision if and when I decide to go.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

The problem with a commercial flight and cancellations is that firstly, the COE is dated and secondly, the Fit to Fly letter has to be done within 72 hours of the flight.  An airline cancelling at the last minute could mean you having to obtain another Fit to Fly. That may reduce or obliterate any savings you might make.

 

On the other hand if you are wishing to book a return flight - commercial flights are way cheaper.  You cannot (at least in the UK) book a return flight where the outbound is a repat flight - 2 bookings are needed.

 

If and when I decide to visit my wife I will probably go commercial as I need a return.  The most reliable I've seen from Europe - watching flight radar, is KLM followed by Qatar.  Things change all the time, I'll make a decision if and when I decide to go.

All depends of course whether there are international flights operating at all on a commercial basis, to/from the loctions of personal desire.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

The problem with a commercial flight and cancellations is that firstly, the COE is dated and secondly, the Fit to Fly letter has to be done within 72 hours of the flight.  An airline cancelling at the last minute could mean you having to obtain another Fit to Fly. That may reduce or obliterate any savings you might make.

 

On the other hand if you are wishing to book a return flight - commercial flights are way cheaper.  You cannot (at least in the UK) book a return flight where the outbound is a repat flight - 2 bookings are needed.

 

If and when I decide to visit my wife I will probably go commercial as I need a return.  The most reliable I've seen from Europe - watching flight radar, is KLM followed by Qatar.  Things change all the time, I'll make a decision if and when I decide to go.

 

I am not wooried about Fit to Fly, as our GP is quite flexible, though it's wise to book a flight on s business day. 

 

It's just the stress in case of amending the flight tickets&ASQ, if possible at all. 

Sure, can buy/add a travel insurance for her. 

 

Edited by drenddy
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

The most reliable I've seen from Europe - watching flight radar, is KLM followed by Qatar.

Beware the KLM flights as they are mostly transit flights which appear to no longer be bookable to BKK, going by the KLM website.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, treetops said:

Beware the KLM flights as they are mostly transit flights which appear to no longer be bookable to BKK, going by the KLM website.

The position with KLM and most airlines for that matter - seems to change from day to day.  If they weren't bookable, I wouldn't be booking them 😀. However, your post raises one important matter, personally, I wouldn't be booking through agents at the moment - I think its safer to book direct with the airline.

 

In any case, I did say I'll decide if and when I decide to go.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2020 at 8:00 AM, scorecard said:

One example that might help is that Thai Inter are operating repay flights from Bkk to Sydney and Sydney to Bkk.  Both ways the maximum number of passengers is 30/35, to allow for on board distancing.

That must be a requirement of the Australian government.  I was shocked when I arrived at Heathrow with my wife - the check-in queue was huge, the flight to Bangkok was clearly full.  One passenger on her flight has since tested positive so those seated close are being watched + all those on the flight are called daily to ask about their health.

 

My Mrs was stunned that the flight was full - she travelled to the UK on a Finnair flight that was properly socially distanced.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...