Infected French woman: Virus found on gym equipment at her quarantine hotel

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Sixty seven of sixty eight staff there have tested negative as have all those who were in close contact with the woman who flew in from Limoges, France. 

So none of them went to the gym ????

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I would expect to see new guidance issued to ASQ facilities about use of gyms.

It then becomes "solitary confinement" ... and they think other "tourists" will opt for that ... not a chance

I also heard the the lady in question is Thai, but married to a French dude.

Maybe she travelled on her French PP but that in itself is strange as even if the Thai PP expired she would still be allowed entry. Some smoke & mirrors here methinks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

What is relevant is that quarantine, meant to contain infection, actually spread it in this instance.

If all other Guests were allowed to used the same piece of Equipment, then there is no surprise that there is an infection.

Quarantine should mean Isolation, with no access to common ground as used by other Guests

IE Gym, Swimming Pool Etc 

This incident also brings into question the ASQ facilities ability ( or otherwise ) to completely adhere to Covid restrictions with regard to cleaning and Sanitising.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, alianware said:

Have you ever heard from other rest of the world that virus found in a room or in fitness room ?? 

It has been documented since the very early days of this virus that it can be contracted via fomites and can persist on hard surfaces for some time. A recent Australian study found that it can remain viable on objects and surfaces (in ideal conditions) for up to 28 days.

Coronavirus can last 28 days on objects

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It is well known that the virus can live on inanimate objects, especially indoors.

Gyms are especially high risk environments due to tnedency of peopkle to grunt, breath hard etc while working out.

This is why gyms were closed during lockdowns and among the last places allowed to reopen.

The timing of her infection makes it 99% sure her infection occurred while in quarantine.

Obviously the original source could have been of any nationality who used the gym. This is really not relevant, as is her visa status

What is relevant is that quarantine, meant to contain infection, actually spread it in this instance.

with garrulous loud conversations and glass surfaces everywhere bars are just as bad and in many cases worse.. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It is well known that the virus can live on inanimate objects, especially indoors.

Gyms are especially high risk environments due to tnedency of peopkle to grunt, breath hard etc while working out.

This is why gyms were closed during lockdowns and among the last places allowed to reopen.

The timing of her infection makes it 99% sure her infection occurred while in quarantine.

Obviously the original source could have been of any nationality who used the gym. This is really not relevant, as is her visa status

I gave you a Thanks emoji. Whenever I'm scrolling through the TV cynicism, it's a joy to see 'Sheryl' come scrolling by. You're a voice of reason among the howling madmen. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

It has been documented since the very early days of this virus that it can be contracted via fomites and can persist on hard surfaces for some time. A recent Australian study found that it can remain viable on objects and surfaces (in ideal conditions) for up to 28 days.

Coronavirus can last 28 days on objects

She left the hotel quite a while ago and the virus still was found on this fitness equipment. Do they clean in this quarantine hotel? 

• Like 1

More to the point. If the Gym is supposed to be the point of infection why after her travelling to Samui is there still covid on the equipment? It should be disinfected everyday.

People are paying top money to these hotels and they cant even make them safe! 

Edited by Sametboy2019
s
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sametboy2019 said:

More to the point. If the Gym is supposed to be the point of infection why after her travelling to Samui is there still covid on the equipment? It should be disinfected everyday.

People are paying top money to these hotels and they cant even make them safe! 

They don't give a rat's a$$, keyword is "money". ????

4 hours ago, Oldie said:

The other question is why was she allowed to enter Thailand. She is from a high risk country. Are they not blocked? 

My question is.....why want to go on hols at this time of the year with the covid everywhere.  I don't have any sympathy for the family.  At the limit, take them in her own country.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Gillyflower said:

My question is.....why want to go on hols at this time of the year with the covid everywhere.  I don't have any sympathy for the family.  At the limit, take them in her own country.

Please try and keep up.

She did not go on hols. She was returning to her home on Samui.

She is not a tourist.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gillyflower said:

I don't know what she does here. Perhaps she visits relatives.

But to Farang tourists in general. I ask myself if the Thai government is aware of the kind of Farang tourists that could come here. Many don't care about protection, some even will aggressively refuse it and some even like to make Corona parties. It is a completely different mentality than Thai people have. There is a reason why they have so many cases there. And I don't believe that this quarantine idea will work 100 percent. We saw it at this lady. Just to clarify - I am a Farang too. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1