Bank letter for Immigration, can it be from any bank branch?

I normally get my annual letter and copy of bank statement from my local branch where I have my account, with no problems.

Is it possible to get the letter from a different branch of the same bank, or is only the branch where I have my account able to provide a letter.

Thanks.

I think most people (myself included) in Bangkok use a branch in the basement at CW for their letter so I would say no problem.

I've also got a letter from another branch (not my own) when I was going to Penang to get my initial Non-O Visa & again, wasn't a problem. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FredLee said:

My experience at Bangkok Bank. Last year I used a different branch than where my account was held. It took five days. This year I went to the branch where my account is held and it took only 20 minutes.

I got my letters last year and this year while waited at a Bangkok Bank branch that is several hundred kilometers from the branch where my account was opened.

Were you getting the standard bank letter or a statement?

50 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

To prove confirm you bank account is real and valid if using the money in the bank option or transfers into your account to prove your income.

The visa agent guy I have used for years takes my bank book to the book update machine at the bank and deposits 100 baht into my account. The bank book gets updated on the spot and then taken as proof on funds.

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

The visa agent guy I have used for years takes my bank book to the book update machine at the bank and deposits 100 baht into my account. The bank book gets updated on the spot and then taken as proof on funds.

How Much does that cost? 

9 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Maybe he is getting the bank letter as well. It is on the list of requirements to apply for the extension.

I can only speak for BB where I have used different branches and Immigration have accepted these. The main problem is how they interpret the time scale.  I once paid for a letter on a Friday and immigration wouldn't accept it on the Monday after the weekend.

I also had too much money in the account , but that's another issue.

• Confused 1

Personally due to all the inconsistencies in different immigration offices, banks (and every other Thai administration office around the country), personally i'd not risk it.

It would make sense and suit me fine if you could use any branch. When I do my extension renewal I go to my local branch for them opening at 8.30, get the letter then drive 2 hours to the Immigration Office. If I could leave early and get the lettter from the branch nearest to the IO, I could get the job done earlier. However I won't risk blank stares at the alternative bank branch, or if lucky there, wont risk the branch letter being different when at the IO. I hate these 'surprises' you get sometimes.

• Like 1

The letter is for annual visa extension.

I don't doubt that Immigration won't accept a letter,  just wonder if a different branch of my bank will issue one.

Never had a problem with my branch, maybe half an hour each time.

Just for information last time without my asking they also printed out account statement. 

So seems, as is the Thai way, to be sure go and try.

:whistling:

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

To prove confirm you bank account is real and valid ...

Since they are asking for bank statements now, do we still have to provide the bank letter in addition to the statement or will the statement alone do the job already?  

33 minutes ago, thecaveman said:

Since they are asking for bank statements now, do we still have to provide the bank letter in addition to the statement or will the statement alone do the job already?

The still want both of them.

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

SCB - the Bank Letter confirming funds can be obtained at any branch (takes about 10-15mins) along with updating the passbook.

My "visa" account is with SCB in Chiangmai and, for more than a decade, I have only been able to get the extension letter (letter verifying the account and balance for my annual

extension based on retirement) from the one branch at which I opened the account.  I've tried to get it from other branches (closer to where I live) but both of those branches have told me I must  go to the branch where I opened the account. A bit irritating but not that big a deal as I only have to do it once a year. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I got my letters last year and this year while waited at a Bangkok Bank branch that is several hundred kilometers from the branch where my account was opened.

Were you getting the standard bank letter or a statement?

My Bangkok Bank account was started in Chiang Mai. Went to the branch in Chiang Rai with the passbook, bank letter and six month statement in 20 minutes. CR Immigration accepted it, no problem.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:
8 hours ago, thecaveman said:

The still want both of them.

They want a letter AND an up-to-date passbook AND a bank statement? All dated the same day? Why isn't one enough? I don't get it. The statement is news to me.

15 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They want a letter AND an up-to-date passbook AND a bank statement? All dated the same day? Why isn't one enough? I don't get it. The statement is news to me.

It's ridiculous - any one of them is irrefutable proof of funds.

I provided the Bank Letter, 3 Months Statement, and Photo copies of my Bank Book. All from the previous day. 

Immigration were not too bothered about the Bank Letter and were not interested in the 3 Months Statement. 

They [Immigration] wanted an updated photocopy of the Bank Book for that day. 

I’ve had >400k in my account for years, but they were only interested in whether its still there on the exact day I was visiting Immigration !

It seemed the PhotoCopies of the Bank Book and actually being able to look at the Bank Book itself to double check the photocopy is what they were most interested in seeing. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1

The Bangkok Bank at Seacon Square previously refused to issue the letter and sent me to head office on Silom Road which is a hassle since Immigration used to ask for it to be on the same day. Once the Bangkok Bank Branch was opened at CW Div1 office I just go down stairs and get the letter in 5 minutes. Cost B100.