My wife and I have been married 3 years. She lived with me in Australia from Sept 2107 to December 2018 when I retired and we came to Thailand. I am a dual US/Australian citizen. She applied for a visitor visa to accompany to visit family in the US. It was denied at the Chiang Mai consulate. Only reason given, she did not convince the officer she had "compelling reasons to return". This is basically an ignorant decision considering if she and I wished to permanently reside in the US, we would simply do a full immigration application. We could also simply return to Australia if there was a desire to get out of Thailand. The application was filed 1 month before the appointment, yet there was no attempt to contact me regarding the validity of the application or questions about it. I think the officer in Chiang Mai has a negative bias.

I am hearing Chiang Mai is a problem for visa approvals, whereas a new application in Bangkok is will be approved. 

Moderators note. I have edited this post by removing a sentence which is contrary to forum rules.
5) You will not use Thaivisa as a platform to gather support to effect changes on religious, political, or governmental issues.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Thai girlfriend (not wife) got a US tourist visa in 2015 by applying in Chiang Mai; she owns a bank account, a house, a car, and her own (small) business. She entered the US that year (via US custo

Later on , she may well be thankful for that ....

My wife and I have been married 3 years. She lived with me in Australia from Sept 2107 to December 2018 when I retired and we came to Thailand. I am a dual US/Australian citizen. She applied for a vis

1 hour ago, rumak said:

It has been difficult for a very long time.    Thirty years ago i was married in Thailand.. and wife would have been denied a tourist visa except that i was allowed to present our case.  

Even more troubling was that before i was married i made a few trips to Thailand ,  and the "grilling" i got each time i returned to the states was not pleasant at all.  Why did they always pick me out ?

I was dressed casually but clean .  They just did not want to accept that someone in his thirties could have some money and not look like a suit and tie guy .  Their attitude , even that far back, was

certainly not a respectful one.

I’ve had various experiences reentering the US, with immigration officers sometimes a bit gruff, but maybe they’re just having a bad day. The bottom line is, if your US passport is valid and you’re not on some criminal checklist, they have to let you in as a US citizen.

I’ve worked at US embassies overseas; one of the biggest concerns of consular officers (State Department) who interview visa applicants is that their visa approval will later get overturned by an immigration officer (INS, now Homeland Security) at a border entry point. State and DHS of course are following the exact same guidelines, but one can argue that their cultures differ, which can lead to problems.

• Like 1
Just now, Cory1848 said:

I’ve had various experiences reentering the US, with immigration officers sometimes a bit gruff, but maybe they’re just having a bad day.

That would be fine......... if the person receiving the "gruff"  could act in the same way .   

"You know, you are being a real jerk for treating me this way.   i know i should not say that, but you see,  I am having a bad day.    Made all the worse by having to put up with your BS "

just another case of us subjects having to buckle under to authority.     i assure you that i was always polite....but in a few cases they kept pushing.    the privilege of power

On 10/26/2020 at 9:07 AM, Rick Bechard said:

whereas a new application in Bangkok is will be approved. 

It is very rare I know of 20 guys who have tried with gf's or wives all rejected. This was within the past year.

The reason I have been advised is because historically, too many have gone, overstayed and never returned.

Of course, some will report how easy it was for their bargirl gf to get one.  Sure.

The first time I tried for my then girlfriend  no was the answer. Two years later and married and a different  agent doing the asking, welcome to america enjoy your trip

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, moe666 said:

The first time I tried for my then girlfriend  no was the answer. Two years later and married and a different  agent doing the asking, welcome to america enjoy your trip

They are NOT agents never have been they are US Government employees that do ALL interviewing at the consult and they are US Citizens. Star Visa about 100 meter down  from the consulate is very good and reasonable and do not lie to you on your chance.

Edited by khwaibah
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, rumak said:

It has been difficult for a very long time.    Thirty years ago i was married in Thailand.. and wife would have been denied a tourist visa except that i was allowed to present our case.  

Even more troubling was that before i was married i made a few trips to Thailand ,  and the "grilling" i got each time i returned to the states was not pleasant at all.  Why did they always pick me out ?

I was dressed casually but clean .  They just did not want to accept that someone in his thirties could have some money and not look like a suit and tie guy .  Their attitude , even that far back, was

certainly not a respectful one.

Most trips returning to the USA as a citizen the Immigration Officer voiced comment was, “next”. I do remember the times when the Immigration Officer commented, “Welcome Home”. Little things go a long way ... sad observing the USA Today.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

It is very rare I know of 20 guys who have tried with gf's or wives all rejected. This was within the past year.

The reason I have been advised is because historically, too many have gone, overstayed and never returned.

Of course, some will report how easy it was for their bargirl gf to get one.  Sure.

Maybe the difference was the bg status. Ex gf, nope not a bg, first trip 2013 (one year US Visa, Schengen VISA, Turkey Visa, India Visa). Second trip 2015 (10 Year US Visa). Circumstances are certainly taken into account and everyone’s circumstances vary. No trip planned until 2023 with new family (we will be married couple traveling with her Daughter). I anticipate no problems.

Edited by wwest5829
Just now, wwest5829 said:

Most trips returning to the USA as a citizen the Immigration Officer voiced comment was, “next”. I do remember the times when the Immigration Officer commented, “Welcome Home”. Little things go a long way ... sad observing the USA Today.

If that is you in your avatar,  i can see why you get such a nice greeting.  after i was late 40's,  travelling with my sweet family,  i had no problems. 

but looking a little "hippie ish  in my 30's ....... oh boy.    So much for the self proclaimed greatest democracy on earth,  where all men are judged equally.   I was treated like cรap