Chiang Mai US Consulate Visa Denials

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like dealing with any consul in more than a few embassies/consulates, "personal judgement" is a wild card.  There's a grumpy old Thai lady working in the Wireless visa section that seems to randomly mark (with a black pen) photos of applicants just to have them go out and have to take a new photo.   "This photo seems to show a mole... where I don't see one... go take a new photo."   

It's a problem... My now wife was also denied a tourist visa to the U.S. two years ago. Bs degree, full time teacher job in Thailand, owns land, partial owner in the family business etc. etc. but was given no reason for being denied a tourist VISA to the U.S. I will never get over it. It' all B.S. when the ajudicator for what ever reason denies these and then is not even required to tell you why, but will smugly tell you in a denial letter that you are welcome to re-apply. 

I had a "Paroled to Leave" stamp in my passport. I had flown into Hawaii on on one of those Visas arranged between participant countries. I had flown from there to Kiritimati Island in the Central Pacific, only to find I could not fly back - because the Visa was dependant not only on being a citizen of the Visa Waiver Scheme Country, but the Airline also had to have signed up to the agreement. I had used a charter airline flying a Dakota, and they were not signed up to the scheme. When I telephoned them for a return ticket, they told me of the difficulty. So I forged a full US visa and sent them a scan of it in my passport. The Pilot (a very pretty girl) looked for me in departures so she could check my "Visa" but I managed to avoid her. In Hawaii of course I was rumbled, and had to pay 200 bucks instant fine, and have the notorious "Paroled to Leave" stamp. On my return to the UK I got the required Visa, but no new passport. Every time I re-entered the States I was detained at the check in, and taken to a "waiting room" where I would spend a couple of hours - just enough to miss my ongoing flight - before being released to find my suitcase making it's lonely journey around the carousel on its own. All my own fault of course, so no complaints.

On 10/27/2020 at 8:07 AM, Cory1848 said:

into the US across the Mexican border

It been 7 years ago myself and wife (Chinese) tourist visa went into Baja California and back to US a week later... no problems I checked prior with US Immigration who said OK.... if further south

of Baja you need to stop at Mexico Immigration just across the border...

IO try calling or emailing US in Chang Mai. Wife was denied twice

emailed Guangzhou Consulate office.. told me to come to their 

office. Officer picked up a paper and said this Invitation letter looks

to b pe fake and why she was denied twice. I said I wrote and signed it..,., he typed something in the computer and said tell 

her to make another appointment and it’d be approved... and it was

On 10/25/2020 at 10:07 PM, Rick Bechard said:

My wife and I have been married 3 years. She lived with me in Australia from Sept 2107 to December 2018 when I retired and we came to Thailand. I am a dual US/Australian citizen. She applied for a visitor visa to accompany to visit family in the US. It was denied at the Chiang Mai consulate. Only reason given, she did not convince the officer she had "compelling reasons to return". This is basically an ignorant decision considering if she and I wished to permanently reside in the US, we would simply do a full immigration application. We could also simply return to Australia if there was a desire to get out of Thailand. The application was filed 1 month before the appointment, yet there was no attempt to contact me regarding the validity of the application or questions about it. I think the officer in Chiang Mai has a negative bias.

I am hearing Chiang Mai is a problem for visa approvals, whereas a new application in Bangkok is will be approved. 

Moderators note. I have edited this post by removing a sentence which is contrary to forum rules.
5) You will not use Thaivisa as a platform to gather support to effect changes on religious, political, or governmental issues.

Being the devil's advocate, how is it relevant to your wife's application for a visa that you are a dual US/AUS citizen? You failed to mention her citizenship, so I will assume Thai (and only Thai).

Sure, you can return from the US to various destinations of your choosing, but your wife may see her entry into the US as an opportunity to skip the return flight. After all, she really has nothing to return home to. Ownership of a house (if she has one), a bank account, etc. are not really sufficient to prove beyond the shadow of doubt that she will return. Whether she returns or not, these possessions will still be hers.

I do agree it was bad luck that the visa was denied; this could be due to the current political climate, or something else. I suppose you could try again, but I would recommend returning to AUS with the wife, and then apply from there for the tourist visa. Her chances will be substantially better.

On 11/2/2020 at 5:47 PM, kenk24 said:

Not sure I get this? Who is 'the person' - is it a Thai person?

Before another visa is granted, they will need to go through the process again... maybe depending on type of visa... my GF came with me a couple of times on a tourist visa.. and yes, the length of stay is decided in USA, and we were given 6 months each time.. but not knowing made it difficult to buy a RT tkt... I just asked for 6 months when we arrived.. it can be frustrating as it is not an exact science... some of the process is discretionary... 

Very discretionary. She was denied again in BKK today. It is just ignorance and prone to bias. She is Thai, we have been married 3 years and she had a spouse visa in Australia, but want to return to live here. They don't car about all that. Today the guy asked if she had a registration for the motel business we bought this year. Sure she did. Didn't count for a thing. A letter from me stating my intention to visit family for a few months. Meant nothing. She has a bachelor degree and a masters. Spent 6 years working for the Bangkok Narcotics Bureau. Means <deleted> to them. Has paid for 4 bedroom house near the motel. Nope. I spent a fair bit of time explaining to my wife that the US is not really a nice place to live unless you are really well off. That yes, you can make a good salary, but you will spend it all on housing, taxes and medical. I told her, most people in America are like Thais, living check to check, buying on credit and paying it off over time. She understands and does not want to live there.

On 11/3/2020 at 2:23 PM, thailand49 said:

Not ignorant nor do they have a bias against you I know this first hand whether you apply in Bangkok or not! 

As noted it is easier if time permits to just apply for a resident instead of a Tourist I was this point blank myself. See these agents are on a tight rope to follow the guidelines and that is review the application rarely unless you present contrary evidence at the interview the decision has already been made!

Based on your own posting there is already a contradiction the application is reviewed straight forward no left or right and most likely your wife said the same thing to confirm? In my opinion no indication should be given that you plan to move to the U.S. in the future!  From my I see you are the sole supporter of your wife, they are looking yes what will make her return to Thailand why because you are asking for a Tourist! 

They have a profile that majority applying are in the sex business once inside the U.S. it is impossible to track them down if they overstay and it funds are available all one has to do is get a lawyer and the case is held up for years and years cost to the courts which is to the citizens.

Now that the cat is out of the bag it will be pretty hard to reverse the decision when you apply again even in Bangkok.  At best you can and play dumb and say not understand but you mentioned that you live in Thailand now depending on your age if you already obtained a Retirement Extension and made Thailand your home normally this should be good a reason that she will return it did for my brother case. 

They don't need to know what your future holds you are applying for a Tourist the less you say the better. If you need a good Immigration lawyer just across from the BKK U.S. Embassy who has a reputation done number of cases for me family and friends. They are Thais but raised and school in the U.S. most like for cheap on the phone or email can give you a good indication as to how to go about getting your problem solved just PM me if not good luck!

I completely understand about young single women trying to get there for prostitution. I happen to know of a young woman who was denied a visa to the US. She was quickly approved for a visa to "learn english" in Australia. She is working at a massage parlor giving happy endings for a living. 

My wife is 40. She went to todays interview if you call it that, with translated copies of her degrees, her employment letter from the BKK Narcotics Bureau, her motel ownership registration, our marriage registration, house registration and photos from when she lived in Australia with me. Her passport has two exit stamps from Suvarnabhumi when she travel to Australia. Not a one meant a thing.

The most ignorant aspect of it all is that they ask for contact information for who you are travelling with. In her case it said my name, spouse and phone number. Why the hell ask if you won't take 1 minute to call. IGNORANT!

On 10/26/2020 at 9:07 AM, Rick Bechard said:

My wife and I have been married 3 years. She lived with me in Australia from Sept 2107 to December 2018 when I retired and we came to Thailand. I am a dual US/Australian citizen. She applied for a visitor visa to accompany to visit family in the US. It was denied at the Chiang Mai consulate. Only reason given, she did not convince the officer she had "compelling reasons to return". This is basically an ignorant decision considering if she and I wished to permanently reside in the US, we would simply do a full immigration application. We could also simply return to Australia if there was a desire to get out of Thailand. The application was filed 1 month before the appointment, yet there was no attempt to contact me regarding the validity of the application or questions about it. I think the officer in Chiang Mai has a negative bias.

I am hearing Chiang Mai is a problem for visa approvals, whereas a new application in Bangkok is will be approved. 

Moderators note. I have edited this post by removing a sentence which is contrary to forum rules.
5) You will not use Thaivisa as a platform to gather support to effect changes on religious, political, or governmental issues.

It is a very nice forum for moaning, groaning, complaining, commiserating and getting nothing done.

On 11/4/2020 at 12:11 AM, Gumballl said:

Being the devil's advocate, how is it relevant to your wife's application for a visa that you are a dual US/AUS citizen? You failed to mention her citizenship, so I will assume Thai (and only Thai).

Sure, you can return from the US to various destinations of your choosing, but your wife may see her entry into the US as an opportunity to skip the return flight. After all, she really has nothing to return home to. Ownership of a house (if she has one), a bank account, etc. are not really sufficient to prove beyond the shadow of doubt that she will return. Whether she returns or not, these possessions will still be hers.

I do agree it was bad luck that the visa was denied; this could be due to the current political climate, or something else. I suppose you could try again, but I would recommend returning to AUS with the wife, and then apply from there for the tourist visa. Her chances will be substantially better.

I mention dual citizenship to point out that she has already been admitted to Australia on a spouse visa in 2017 based on my citizenship there. But she prefers to live here near her family. Guess I wouldn't be putting it on ThaiVisa if she was Chinese. The whole "compelling reason to return" concept is another point of shallow thinking. No matter what compelling reason they see today, it can evaporate in a year or two and the person can still get into the US on the previously issued visa. As I mentioned, we have a motel business we bought earlier this year. We only resettled back here at the end of 2018. Seems pointless to pull up stakes and do it all again. 

As you say house, bank account, business etc etc, isn't any guarantee of a return. House can be sold after you leave as can a business. No one the wiser. But <deleted>, at least she is married to a citizen who wants his wife to accompany him on a family visit, isn't 20 and dressing like a bar girl. 

I was in getting a new passport at the same time. I told the guy about the issue. He agreed they are very difficult. I might go the immigration visa  route. My old air force friend did it earlier this year. Just had to prove he could support her. Not my first choice, because like I tell my wife, there is no way you can have a better life in the US on retirement pension than you can have in Thailand. Something my old friend is proving everyday. 

On 11/3/2020 at 7:48 PM, Tounge Thaied said:

It's a problem... My now wife was also denied a tourist visa to the U.S. two years ago. Bs degree, full time teacher job in Thailand, owns land, partial owner in the family business etc. etc. but was given no reason for being denied a tourist VISA to the U.S. I will never get over it. It' all B.S. when the ajudicator for what ever reason denies these and then is not even required to tell you why, but will smugly tell you in a denial letter that you are welcome to re-apply. 

Maybe a Thai lady or...Ladyboy did him wrong.

41 minutes ago, Rick Bechard said:

Nope. I spent a fair bit of time explaining to my wife that the US is not really a nice place to live unless you are really well off. That yes, you can make a good salary, but you will spend it all on housing, taxes and medical. I told her, most people in America are like Thais, living check to check, buying on credit and paying it off over time. She understands and does not want to live there.

Most people here get that. Many of the farang walking around look more disheveled than the poorest of poor Thai... the image has been tainted... 

As to getting the visa - from what I have seen, there are times when people get them easily and times when it is very very difficult. I would assume these are not easy times... don't take it personally, I know, not easy - and wait for better times... 

On 11/3/2020 at 4:39 PM, fordguy61mi said:

I think they assume from the beginning that you’re trying to get to the US and never return and it’s up to you to convince them otherwise. It seems who they’re accompanied with or going to visit has no bearing.

Yes, America where Innocent Until Proven Guilty is the rule.

5 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Most people here get that. Many of the farang walking around look more disheveled than the poorest of poor Thai... the image has been tainted... 

As to getting the visa - from what I have seen, there are times when people get them easily and times when it is very very difficult. I would assume these are not easy times... don't take it personally, I know, not easy - and wait for better times... 

Might go the immigrant visa. Give living there a go. A bit scary after being gone for 18 years. I was planning this trip for the spring because I hate the cold, but my mother (85) who I have not seen since 2013 had a bad fall a couple months back. So think it best to do some reconnecting before it is too late. Also have 2 grandsons and a granddaughter I've never met. So a few reasons to do it now.

1 hour ago, Rick Bechard said:

Might go the immigrant visa. Give living there a go. A bit scary after being gone for 18 years. I was planning this trip for the spring because I hate the cold, but my mother (85) who I have not seen since 2013 had a bad fall a couple months back. So think it best to do some reconnecting before it is too late. Also have 2 grandsons and a granddaughter I've never met. So a few reasons to do it now.

That's a lot to deal with... I hope you have been able to skype or zoom with your mom... go back alone if need be... depending how bad, a fall can be devastating for elderly people... there are even many cases of a fall bringing on dementia, as I think people feel a futility and stop trying. 

With Covid and all, this is probably not a great time to go back... and getting back in here might be problematic too... I think USA had 104,000 new cases yesterday... 

And after 18 years, maybe depending on where, you might find a lot more changes than comfortable. 

7 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

That's a lot to deal with... I hope you have been able to skype or zoom with your mom... go back alone if need be... depending how bad, a fall can be devastating for elderly people... there are even many cases of a fall bringing on dementia, as I think people feel a futility and stop trying. 

With Covid and all, this is probably not a great time to go back... and getting back in here might be problematic too... I think USA had 104,000 new cases yesterday... 

And after 18 years, maybe depending on where, you might find a lot more changes than comfortable. 

Yes, it is a daunting concept. Had a nice FB video chat on Mother's Day with her and my oldest sister. She hit her head and was found unconscious in her apartment. Slight pelvic fracture. She is ok, but says she is ready to go when god wants her. Dad died in 2006 and I was not there. I am the black sheep of the family. Or perhaps prodigal son. Something of a prodigal father too I suppose. But only grandfather the grandkids have, so they want us to come visit. So you can see why this visa issue is quite personal to me. Just incomprehensible that the embassy doesn't see there is a long term marriage and interview us as a couple. I guess that just makes too much sense for them.

For sure the virus is a worry. But I figure wear a mask and limit public places. Personally, I believe this virus will be like the flu and cold. We just have to learn to live with it. Am thinking to get an RV of some sort and do some travel as well. Probably the last chance as eventually my wife must come back to care for her business and her parents.

20 hours ago, Rick Bechard said:

I completely understand about young single women trying to get there for prostitution. I happen to know of a young woman who was denied a visa to the US. She was quickly approved for a visa to "learn english" in Australia. She is working at a massage parlor giving happy endings for a living. 

My wife is 40. She went to todays interview if you call it that, with translated copies of her degrees, her employment letter from the BKK Narcotics Bureau, her motel ownership registration, our marriage registration, house registration and photos from when she lived in Australia with me. Her passport has two exit stamps from Suvarnabhumi when she travel to Australia. Not a one meant a thing.

The most ignorant aspect of it all is that they ask for contact information for who you are travelling with. In her case it said my name, spouse and phone number. Why the hell ask if you won't take 1 minute to call. IGNORANT!

I understand your point but take a moment and see if you can clam down and listen as to what people and I are telling you. From what you are writing it might be you that is ignorant failing to understand the process you are looking for " common sense "  maybe even " fair " then you are in the wrong world it doesn't exist if it does consider yourself really lucky. What I'm telling you comes several years ago in private at the Embassy straight from the horses mouth. See go down Wireless road maybe a right turn Soi 4 take a good look at what is there then try to understand all the stuff you want everyone to be impressed by can easily be obtained just with a few baht. What is more easy to read is a simple stamp on your own passport if it has a Retirement Extension that might be enough to get a Tourist Visa for her, you are thinking why because that shows you have made Thailand you home a base a reason for you and her to return. 

Although they are telling you feel free to apply you now have two strikes time to take up my offer and PM me for that lawyer number believe it or not I get nothing for or pushing it just trying to help which is exactly what you need.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2020 at 1:17 PM, thailand49 said:

I understand your point but take a moment and see if you can clam down and listen as to what people and I are telling you. From what you are writing it might be you that is ignorant failing to understand the process you are looking for " common sense "  maybe even " fair " then you are in the wrong world it doesn't exist if it does consider yourself really lucky. What I'm telling you comes several years ago in private at the Embassy straight from the horses mouth. See go down Wireless road maybe a right turn Soi 4 take a good look at what is there then try to understand all the stuff you want everyone to be impressed by can easily be obtained just with a few baht. What is more easy to read is a simple stamp on your own passport if it has a Retirement Extension that might be enough to get a Tourist Visa for her, you are thinking why because that shows you have made Thailand you home a base a reason for you and her to return. 

Although they are telling you feel free to apply you now have two strikes time to take up my offer and PM me for that lawyer number believe it or not I get nothing for or pushing it just trying to help which is exactly what you need.

I am quite sure it is not me who is ignorant. Unprepared for the simplistic thinking of consular office staff perhaps. An email from the consulate stated, "The official has typically made their decision before the interview, from information on the application". When part of that information is the US citizen spouses contact information, and the official is told the spouse is in the embassy at the same time getting a new passport, and no attempt to talk to the spouse is made, that makes asking that information on the application pointless.

The embassy FB page recently posted a notice about "visa scams" where an agency will give you hope of a visa. All you have to do is pay their fee. They don't guarantee the visa of course and they don't refund your money if denied. But you can reapply anytime. Sounds familiar to me!

On 11/2/2020 at 12:18 AM, Rick Bechard said:

Yeah As I told a few people, there are more "compelling reasons to leave the US" than there are to stay. I lived in Australia from 2002 to 2019. I have been into emergency room a few times, admitted for bowel infection, lower leg infection and chest pains. Also had doctor ordered surgery for knee and cancer surgery at the top cancer research center. I never got a bill for any of those. Much better places to live than the US.

The best place to live is the place you can afford to live best.

On 11/5/2020 at 4:40 AM, Rick Bechard said:

Very discretionary. She was denied again in BKK today. It is just ignorance and prone to bias. She is Thai, we have been married 3 years and she had a spouse visa in Australia, but want to return to live here. They don't car about all that. Today the guy asked if she had a registration for the motel business we bought this year. Sure she did. Didn't count for a thing. A letter from me stating my intention to visit family for a few months. Meant nothing. She has a bachelor degree and a masters. Spent 6 years working for the Bangkok Narcotics Bureau. Means <deleted> to them. Has paid for 4 bedroom house near the motel. Nope. I spent a fair bit of time explaining to my wife that the US is not really a nice place to live unless you are really well off. That yes, you can make a good salary, but you will spend it all on housing, taxes and medical. I told her, most people in America are like Thais, living check to check, buying on credit and paying it off over time. She understands and does not want to live there.

Why would you tell her things that are not true? Because you don't want to live in the US and are trying to convince your point on her?

Did you tell her America has more millionaires than anywhere else in the world?

Did you tell her America is the land of opportunity, where many Thai's own their own business and make 10 times more than they did in Thailand?

Man up and tell her the truth.

17 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

The best place to live is the place you can afford to live best.

Absolutely. And as I have told my wife; living on retirement income, there is no way you will have a better life in America than you can have in Thailand. That is just basic common sense. 

29 minutes ago, Rick Bechard said:

I am quite sure it is not me who is ignorant. Unprepared for the simplistic thinking of consular office staff perhaps. An email from the consulate stated, "The official has typically made their decision before the interview, from information on the application". When part of that information is the US citizen spouses contact information, and the official is told the spouse is in the embassy at the same time getting a new passport, and no attempt to talk to the spouse is made, that makes asking that information on the application pointless.

The embassy FB page recently posted a notice about "visa scams" where an agency will give you hope of a visa. All you have to do is pay their fee. They don't guarantee the visa of course and they don't refund your money if denied. But you can reapply anytime. Sounds familiar to me!

As many have mentioned, Thai overstay in US in a big problem.

You, unfortunately, have the burden of proving beyond a shadow of a doubt, that she will return.

Whatever evidence you are providing, it is certainly not enough to convince them to give her a VISA.

2 times already, so whatever you provided did NOT convince them.

I seem to recall after I got married and wanted to move back to the USA, that the US Immigration lawyer told me, since you are already married, getting a tourist visa will be near impossible for her during this time and she will have to wait in Thailand until her Green Card is approved.

That in itself took about 15 months. 

When I got the call to go pick her up and our son up in Thailand to come to live in the USA, the same US Embassy on Wireless Road did not deliver the paperwork as scheduled. I was on a tight schedule because I had to get back and get to work. Trying to call the US Embassy was impossible.

But get this? State Senator Jeanne Shaheen from NH, which is where US immigration is located, got a call right through to the head consulate officer. I then received a call to be at the Embassy at 9 AM sharp. We showed up at the US Embassy on wireless road, there was a line down the street and the security guard told my wife to get to the end of the line. He didn't care she had an appointment in 5 minutes or not. So off she went to the end of line. A few minutes later at 9 AM the consulate officer came outside and shouted my wife's name and I told him she was sent to the end of the line. He said "What is she doing way back there"? He told the security guard to go and get her and she entered with Embassy with him. Myself and my son were NOT allowed to enter the US Embassy with her. 5 minutes later she came out with her package of approved paperwork. He actually came out with her and made some derogatory statement about us getting the hell out of there or something to that affect.

My uncle had been a district judge in NH for quite many years. He made the call to Senator Shaheen, who in turn called me in person to say she would get this resolved, which is exactly what she did. The consulate officer was not happy and I was just happy we had all the paper work to get the hell out of there.

I am pretty sure without Senator Shaheen's intervention, I would have been delayed there for who knows longs.

The consulate officer had a real <deleted> poor attitude in general.

13 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Why would you tell her things that are not true? Because you don't want to live in the US and are trying to convince your point on her?

Did you tell her America has more millionaires than anywhere else in the world?

Did you tell her America is the land of opportunity, where many Thai's own their own business and make 10 times more than they did in Thailand?

Man up and tell her the truth.

You didn't make a single applicable point in all that. With 350 million people, of course the US will have a larger number of millionaires that smaller countries. Probably not many who are Thais who immigrated though.

She lived with me in Australia for 15 months. She found, as I had explained to her beforehand, the reality is, you can and will make more money in a western country, but you will spend it all between taxes and cost of living. I was earning over AU$100,000 per year. Seems a lot. But after 20%+ taxes and higher living costs, you really don't end up living the Hi-So life style. That IS manning up, by not spinning tales of a rich life in a farang country. In the end, it was her decision to return to Thailand. The reality of our life is that she is the only daughter in the family. She is 40. Her parent are pushing 70 and they both work the motel business that is in her name. That can't continue much longer. She really can't live in the US for more than a couple of years at best, as she is expected to take care of them when they can't. This is what she herself explains to me. 

10 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

You, unfortunately, have the burden of proving beyond a shadow of a doubt, that she will return.

Whatever evidence you are providing, it is certainly not enough to convince them to give her a VISA.

I seem to recall after I got married and wanted to move back to the USA, that the US Immigration lawyer told me, since you are already married, getting a tourist visa will be near impossible for her during this time and she will have to wait in Thailand until her Green Card is approved.

When I got the call to go pick her up and our son up in Thailand to come to live in the USA, the same US Embassy on Wireless Road did not deliver the paperwork as scheduled. I was on a tight schedule because I had to get back and get to work. Trying to call the US Embassy was impossible.

But get this? State Senator Jeanne Shaheen from NH, which is where US immigration is located, got a call right through to the head consulate officer. I then received a call to be at the Embassy at 9 AM sharp. We showed up at the US Embassy on wireless road, there was a line down the street and the security guard told my wife to get to the end of the line. He didn't care she had an appointment in 5 minutes or not. So off she went to the end of line. A few minutes later at 9 AM the consulate officer came outside and shouted my wife's name and I told him she was sent to the end of the line. He said "What is she doing way back there"? He told the security guard to go and get her and she entered with Embassy with him. Myself and my son were NOT allowed to enter the US Embassy with her. 5 minutes later she came out with her package of approved paperwork. He actually came out with her and made some derogatory statement about us getting the hell out of there or something to that affect.

My uncle had been a district judge in NH for quite many years. He made the call to Senator Shaheen, who in turn called me in person to say she would get this resolved, which is exactly what she did. The consulate officer was not happy and I was just happy we had all the paper work to get the hell out of there.

I am pretty sure without Senator Shaheen's intervention, I would have been delayed there for who knows longs.

That is a really great story. Thanks for sharing it. Before the BKK appointment, I contacted what I supposed to be my state senator in Washington state. I say "supposed" because I have not lived in the US since 2003, no address there of any kind. Pretty much been an Aussie since 2003. The senator's office sent me a copy of the same form letter the embassy gives when the visa is denied. They did say if I had more information to justify the visa, they could issue a letter to the embassy. I sent then the full application form and asked in two emails for the letter. No reply.

At the BKK appointment, the official asked if my wife had a copy of her business registration to prove she owned one. No doubt he was sure she wouldn't have it. She handed it to him. She said he looked at it, smiled, handed it back and said sorry, denied.

I reckon consulate officials get a bit like Thai immigration. They see themselves in a high position of control, so don't like being forced to alter their attitudes.

When I was getting the new passport, (have not had one since 2004) the official seemed incredulous and asked how I got into Thailand. I said dual citizen and held up my Australian passport. He asked to see it. He took it away, came back and said, 'They are just checking the validity of it". Like I had a fake passport. When he returned it to me, he said, "You can hold onto that for now". I replied, "Well, it is mine". He shot me a dirty look for that. 

25 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

I guess the point I am making, is that the official in Chiang Mai did not ask for a single bit of evidence, which I had not really prepared for her. At the BKK interview, she had every conceivable document with official translations. Neither asked for income evidence. Only BKK asked for the business registration. So neither application failed on lack of evidence. Some have suggested it is because I put 3 months on the time to stay. That is my desire, not hers. After 17 years away from family, if you are buying tickets, you sort of want to get your moneys worth. I suppose I could have lied and said 2 weeks and stayed as long as the immigration officer gives, which I understand would be 6 months. 

For me, it is really the lack of any real attempt on the officials part to go past reading the application form, to determine the veracity of the person's intent. It seems to me $160 is a high price for someone to read some pages and come to a conclusion.

9 hours ago, Rick Bechard said:

After all this time I would think the subject would be closed?  I think it isn't just ignorance but your hard head I can really understand why you have gotten no where and hit a wall!  All this time I've been telling you how it works from the inside and what they think because I actually been behind the counter during close hours and spoken to the second person in charge of the Embassy in Bangkok years ago so I actually been told how it works. I know the scams out there the suggestion I made which is off the table now because really who would want to help a person like you who does more fighting that listening!  You basically just refer to my suggestion that the law firm is a scam a crook, for the record it is legit and is in excellent standing with the U.S. Embassy everyone I've referred has gotten their visa or their question answer on the phone or email simple by saying they got the contact from so and so!  many never even got charge just for answering their question whether they are on the right track no one has ever come back and said??????????????

In one specific case an Expat prior to my referral paid 150,000 for two years. Within a few months my lawyer friend got full control of his step daughter adoption is near complete and their visa is getting finalized for him to take her back to the U.S. for good. This is one story I have close to a dozen cases where they have gotten Visa for their spouses to the U.S. and if they can't they will tell you honestly I've never heard anyone ever come back and talk ????

You deserve what you get!  bye

23 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

After all this time I would think the subject would be closed?  I think it isn't just ignorance but your hard head I can really understand why you have gotten no where and hit a wall!  All this time I've been telling you how it works from the inside and what they think because I actually been behind the counter during close hours and spoken to the second person in charge of the Embassy in Bangkok years ago so I actually been told how it works. I know the scams out there the suggestion I made which is off the table now because really who would want to help a person like you who does more fighting that listening!  You basically just refer to my suggestion that the law firm is a scam a crook, for the record it is legit and is in excellent standing with the U.S. Embassy everyone I've referred has gotten their visa or their question answer on the phone or email simple by saying they got the contact from so and so!  many never even got charge just for answering their question whether they are on the right track no one has ever come back and said??????????????

In one specific case an Expat prior to my referral paid 150,000 for two years. Within a few months my lawyer friend got full control of his step daughter adoption is near complete and their visa is getting finalized for him to take her back to the U.S. for good. This is one story I have close to a dozen cases where they have gotten Visa for their spouses to the U.S. and if they can't they will tell you honestly I've never heard anyone ever come back and talk ????

You deserve what you get!  bye

I never said your friend was a scam. Never mentioned him at all. Perhaps you are overly sensitive that I didn't take up the offer right away. After some thought, I was actually going to ask for your referral. But yes, I fail to see how a lawyer is going to change the outcome. After all, if I as her husband can't provide guarantee for her departure, how is any legal firm going to do so? 

Now, I accept that I am argumentative on this subject, because one, I'm 64 and two, I find the lack of logic of this too much. Being told you did not convince the official you intend to return, but you can reapply when your circumstances change, then given no idea what needs to change is doing a disservice to the Thai people. It is in fact like going to the doctor. He says, you are dying. You need to change your ways. You ask what am I dying from? He says, I can't tell you. You ask what do I need to change? He says, I can't tell you. You have to figure it out for yourself. Here's your bill. Come again when you think you have figured it out.

I accept that there are scams out there, but a simple call to myself by the official isn't too much for a citizen to ask. Perhaps a joint interview. At least ask for some evidence from the applicant during the interview. They don't schedule that many appointments in a day, so a little personal service isn't really too much to ask in the case of a citizen's spouse.

Using the currently popular "this isn't my first rodeo"; in 1990, I navigated the process with the UNHCR to bring a refugees daughter out of Vietnam and into the US. Got her an expedited citizenship and US passport and then into Malaysia where we lived. In 2002, I did my own immigrant visa into Australia. Then my wife's spouse visa to Australia in 2017. That was filed and she was in Australia in 3 weeks. So I am not unacquainted with embassies and government agencies. 

This is why this situation is particularly galling. Both consular officials checked her passport with its 2 separate international departure stamps. That should impart some evidence that the applicant can be trusted to return.

You can go stomping off if you want. You can provide your friend's contact information if you want. I don't mind listening, even if it doesn't seem like it.

Archived