Chiang Mai US Consulate Visa Denials

15 hours ago, Rick Bechard said:

I never said your friend was a scam. Never mentioned him at all. Perhaps you are overly sensitive that I didn't take up the offer right away. After some thought, I was actually going to ask for your referral. But yes, I fail to see how a lawyer is going to change the outcome. After all, if I as her husband can't provide guarantee for her departure, how is any legal firm going to do so? 

Now, I accept that I am argumentative on this subject, because one, I'm 64 and two, I find the lack of logic of this too much. Being told you did not convince the official you intend to return, but you can reapply when your circumstances change, then given no idea what needs to change is doing a disservice to the Thai people. It is in fact like going to the doctor. He says, you are dying. You need to change your ways. You ask what am I dying from? He says, I can't tell you. You ask what do I need to change? He says, I can't tell you. You have to figure it out for yourself. Here's your bill. Come again when you think you have figured it out.

I accept that there are scams out there, but a simple call to myself by the official isn't too much for a citizen to ask. Perhaps a joint interview. At least ask for some evidence from the applicant during the interview. They don't schedule that many appointments in a day, so a little personal service isn't really too much to ask in the case of a citizen's spouse.

Using the currently popular "this isn't my first rodeo"; in 1990, I navigated the process with the UNHCR to bring a refugees daughter out of Vietnam and into the US. Got her an expedited citizenship and US passport and then into Malaysia where we lived. In 2002, I did my own immigrant visa into Australia. Then my wife's spouse visa to Australia in 2017. That was filed and she was in Australia in 3 weeks. So I am not unacquainted with embassies and government agencies. 

This is why this situation is particularly galling. Both consular officials checked her passport with its 2 separate international departure stamps. That should impart some evidence that the applicant can be trusted to return.

You can go stomping off if you want. You can provide your friend's contact information if you want. I don't mind listening, even if it doesn't seem like it.

Has it ever dawn on you!  you are trying to represent yourself in this case after failing and failing are you so cheap that you WON'T EVEN MAKE A SIMPLE PHONE CALL TO A PROFESSIONAL WHO SPECIALIZE (AT BEST FREE OR 500 BAHT) TO GET A PROFESSIONAL ANSWER FROM SOMEONE WHO KNOWS THE PEOPLE INSIDE THE EMBASSY!  IT COULD BE A SIMPLE ANSWER LIKE NO OR HERE IS A BETTER ROUTE FOR YOU!  BUT NO! YOU ARE HERE JACKING YOURSELF OFF!  NOt DIRECTLY BUT YOUR REFERENCE TO MY SUGGESTION WAS USING A SCAM EXAMPLE AS REASON THAT IS PRETTY CLEAR TO ME MAYBE NOT YOU WHICH MIGHT BE THE REASON YOU DON'T GET IT!  YOU ARE SPINNING YOUR WHEELS TIME TO LET A PROFESSIONAL INTO THE PICTURE AND GET YOU EGO OUT!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Has it ever dawn on you!  you are trying to represent yourself in this case after failing and failing are you so cheap that you WON'T EVEN MAKE A SIMPLE PHONE CALL TO A PROFESSIONAL WHO SPECIALIZE (AT BEST FREE OR 500 BAHT) TO GET A PROFESSIONAL ANSWER FROM SOMEONE WHO KNOWS THE PEOPLE INSIDE THE EMBASSY!  IT COULD BE A SIMPLE ANSWER LIKE NO OR HERE IS A BETTER ROUTE FOR YOU!  BUT NO! YOU ARE HERE JACKING YOURSELF OFF!  NOt DIRECTLY BUT YOUR REFERENCE TO MY SUGGESTION WAS USING A SCAM EXAMPLE AS REASON THAT IS PRETTY CLEAR TO ME MAYBE NOT YOU WHICH MIGHT BE THE REASON YOU DON'T GET IT!  YOU ARE SPINNING YOUR WHEELS TIME TO LET A PROFESSIONAL INTO THE PICTURE AND GET YOU EGO OUT!

You are getting excited again with your all CAPS. My original post is just my topic and expressing my view of the non-sensible nature of the interview as regards the spouse of an American citizen. I wasn't really asking for any help. Just looking for view points on the issue. Some people have given good information as to their experiences. The general consensus seems to be that it is unfair, and is so because there are many who have not acted in good faith in the process. That isn't the intent of my wife and I. I just want to visit with my mother after 17 years gone, and I think it reasonable that we be trusted in what we say.

Again, I never said your friend or you for that matter were a scam. If you can point to something in my earlier comment doing so, I will issue a strong apology, as I don't know either of you and so would not have intended to do so. 

Now if you or your friend have a contact in the embassy/consulate that is willing to talk to me about the issue, I am all in. I like simple solutions. But please, calm yourself and realize while I take the embassy's rejection personally, I don't take anyone's comments here personally.

5 hours ago, Rick Bechard said:

You are getting excited again with your all CAPS. My original post is just my topic and expressing my view of the non-sensible nature of the interview as regards the spouse of an American citizen. I wasn't really asking for any help. Just looking for view points on the issue. Some people have given good information as to their experiences. The general consensus seems to be that it is unfair, and is so because there are many who have not acted in good faith in the process. That isn't the intent of my wife and I. I just want to visit with my mother after 17 years gone, and I think it reasonable that we be trusted in what we say.

Again, I never said your friend or you for that matter were a scam. If you can point to something in my earlier comment doing so, I will issue a strong apology, as I don't know either of you and so would not have intended to do so. 

Now if you or your friend have a contact in the embassy/consulate that is willing to talk to me about the issue, I am all in. I like simple solutions. But please, calm yourself and realize while I take the embassy's rejection personally, I don't take anyone's comments here personally.

Calm myself down I didn't think they could teach stupid, you are posting not asking for HELP! God if there is one HELP this guy! I didn't think they can teach stupid you know what bye means!  I did but right now I wouldn't help you if you were hit with the Virus and I had the cure! I think I've been pretty calm with you at this point I wouldn't make the referral and have them come back don't send me stupid like this again!  I always keep aces up my sleeves but at this point I wouldn't give you one on my calmest day!

10 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Calm myself down I didn't think they could teach stupid, you are posting not asking for HELP! God if there is one HELP this guy! I didn't think they can teach stupid you know what bye means!  I did but right now I wouldn't help you if you were hit with the Virus and I had the cure! I think I've been pretty calm with you at this point I wouldn't make the referral and have them come back don't send me stupid like this again!  I always keep aces up my sleeves but at this point I wouldn't give you one on my calmest day!

This is still my topic and as long as you answer I have a right to respond. So stop answering. Frankly, your anger and unprovoked attack gives me reason to suspect you and your friend. I have not made a single negative comment about you, except to point out your unwarranted attack. I know what I am angry about. I don't know what you are angry about. I don't think you do either. At this point I wouldn't accept your help. You have made it sound very suspicious with your responses.

I may not be as smart as I think I am. But I bet I am a whole lot smarter than you think I am.

11 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Why are you typing in all caps? This is NOT your issue, this man can do what he pleases.

11 hours ago, thailand49 said:

In Thailand, everyone knows someone.

"Don't you know who I am" is the common mantra.

Knowing someone inside the Embassy is NO guarantee of anything. 

Your replies come off as someone <deleted>-off they are not getting a share of some money for referring/using your "friend"?

Personally, given that fact that I've supported a Thai family, cared for a wife, put my Thai son through school, and assist my extended family financially  - and I'm one annual extension to the next from being tossed out of Thailand for good. Why? 
Racism.  Foreigners are hated.  There is no place in Thai cultural and society for foreigners who provide for Thai citizens for literally decades.  Well, unless you are a foreign women married to a Thai man - that's different and virtually never discussed.

So I really don't care if the US immigration decides to not grant your wife of three years a visa.  God only knows I know enough Thais who game the US immigration system and obtain a tourist visa then go to the US and work.  ICE is stretched too thin to deal with immigration criminals. 
But!  If you or I do what Thais do in the US but do it in Thailand?  We Are Criminals.  In fact, we are criminals even if we are law abiding citizens.  Just being a foreigner makes you a suspected criminal.  And I've been married almost 13 years.  What do I get from Thailand as a man married to a Thai women with a Thai son.  
"You are nothing but a glorified tourist and we can kick you out at any time -dirty farang.
How about Thais entering the US on a 10 year tourist visa?  Once inside? They are gold.  Work at any job you want.  Send money to Thailand.  Live like an American. 

I have no sympathy for your situation.  My wife has significant assets in Thailand plus she doesn't ever want to immigrate to the USA. 

What about your wife?  Does she have a home she owns.  Significant assets?  A business to return to.  Yes? No? Don't know. 

Here is something I learned in US boot-camp: "Life ain't fair - get over it!"

9 hours ago, connda said:

Personally, given that fact that I've supported a Thai family, cared for a wife, put my Thai son through school, and assist my extended family financially  - and I'm one annual extension to the next from being tossed out of Thailand for good. Why? 
Racism.  Foreigners are hated.  There is no place in Thai cultural and society for foreigners who provide for Thai citizens for literally decades.  Well, unless you are a foreign women married to a Thai man - that's different and virtually never discussed.

So I really don't care if the US immigration decides to not grant your wife of three years a visa.  God only knows I know enough Thais who game the US immigration system and obtain a tourist visa then go to the US and work.  ICE is stretched too thin to deal with immigration criminals. 
But!  If you or I do what Thais do in the US but do it in Thailand?  We Are Criminals.  In fact, we are criminals even if we are law abiding citizens.  Just being a foreigner makes you a suspected criminal.  And I've been married almost 13 years.  What do I get from Thailand as a man married to a Thai women with a Thai son.  
"You are nothing but a glorified tourist and we can kick you out at any time -dirty farang.
How about Thais entering the US on a 10 year tourist visa?  Once inside? They are gold.  Work at any job you want.  Send money to Thailand.  Live like an American. 

I have no sympathy for your situation.  My wife has significant assets in Thailand plus she doesn't ever want to immigrate to the USA. 

What about your wife?  Does she have a home she owns.  Significant assets?  A business to return to.  Yes? No? Don't know. 

Here is something I learned in US boot-camp: "Life ain't fair - get over it!"

Didn't expect to meet an angrier person than me. But you made it. I have a couple of friends retired here. Well one a very long time friend, took his wife back on a immigrant visa earlier this year. They are struggling. My wife sees this and so has no big dream of America other than to visit my family and see the sights. She is very happy to live here. As pointed out in my earlier comment, she lived with me in Australia on a spouse visa application, but after 15 months decided she preferred Thailand. 

My own experience with Thai immigration has not been too bad. I got a retirement visa in 1 day. I won't go into the particulars of how, but it was laughable. I did have a problem on renewing it a year later, because although I had sent the required 65,000 baht each month, the bank withheld a 200 baht fee so only recorded 64,800. I was incredulous when the immigration agent told my wife on the phone I did not qualify. Fortunately, my wife is highly educated and has worked for government in the past and still has contacts. That gets her some street creds with government officials. It was quite valuable when she handled getting my personal effect including my 1980 Harley into Thailand from Australia. She took me to immigration and I walked out with a marriage visa instead. In Thailand it is who you know.

Yes, my wife has a nice 4 bedroom house given to us by her father. She also has a small motel business her father built for her 4 years ago. She is 40, never married and has no kids. She wants no kids, so a great match. I wouldn't say it is a perfect life. As you are no doubt aware, you do have to intercede in extended family financials from time to time. But my wife's family is really great. I think they appreciate me taking her off their hands. 

I will say I do have sympathy for your situation as I understand the experience is not the same for all of us. I will say that my wife told me, when we go to immigration, don't talk unless I am asked a direct question. Don't show any frustration or anger. Let her do the talking. That has been the best advice. During that 1st year renewal, I stated to the officer that "farang countries don't treat Thais this way". I suppose I should have said, Australia doesn't, because after our marriage, we filed for a spouse visa and she was in Australia 3 weeks later. I am rather ashamed of how she has been treated by the US embassy by comparison. Both the consulate and embassy looked at her passport, saw she had departed Thailand twice for Australia and returned. It meant nothing. Being an American means nothing. In actual fact I suspect if I renounced citizenship, she could likely get a visitor visa easier as just the wife of an Aussie. It is a sad state of affairs.

Archived