Video: "Dangerous Aunty" rides again! - tricky old woman swindler cons cashiers out of 500 baht

webfact

Video: "Dangerous Aunty" rides again! - tricky old woman swindler cons cashiers out of 500 baht

3pm3.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A video published by Thai Rath showed an old lady ripping off cashiers in a change scam.

She had earlier emerged as a thief after trying to con a student but fled after being rumbled. 

Now "Dangerous Aunty" is back in business. 

In Paradise Park, Sri Nakharin, she was caught on CCTV using a 1,000 baht note for a 50 baht item. 

The cashier returns the change and puts it on the counter but in the blink of an eye the women - dressed in a yellow hat and carrying plenty of shopping - secretes 500 baht under her armpit then claims the cashier didn't give her the full change. 

An almost identical theft occurred at a coffee shop and bakery in Big C in the same area.

This time dressed in blue with the same style "old lady" hat, she pulls the same trick. 

Daily News reported that shops had not reported the case to police as small money was involved. 

Now  online warnings are being made to watch out for the tricky old lady. 

Dialog in one of the thefts showed the old lady's craftiness in blaming the cashier for THEIR trickery.

Staff are being warned to make sure that customers are watched until they have put away their change.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-10-26

5 hours ago, webfact said:

3pm3.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A video published by Thai Rath showed an old lady ripping off cashiers in a change scam.

She had earlier emerged as a thief after trying to con a student but fled after being rumbled. 

Now "Dangerous Aunty" is back in business. 

In Paradise Park, Sri Nakharin, she was caught on CCTV using a 1,000 baht note for a 50 baht item. 

The cashier returns the change and puts it on the counter but in the blink of an eye the women - dressed in a yellow hat and carrying plenty of shopping - secretes 500 baht under her armpit then claims the cashier didn't give her the full change. 

An almost identical theft occurred at a coffee shop and bakery in Big C in the same area.

This time dressed in blue with the same style "old lady" hat, she pulls the same trick. 

Daily News reported that shops had not reported the case to police as small money was involved. 

Now  online warnings are being made to watch out for the tricky old lady. 

Dialog in one of the thefts showed the old lady's craftiness in blaming the cashier for THEIR trickery.

Staff are being warned to make sure that customers are watched until they have put away their change.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-10-26

For a professional scammer it, unfortunately, would be easy enough to distract the shop employee for a few seconds. 

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Just the opposite has happened to me, a few times, it was the same shop,

where the cashier tried to short me 500 THb less in the change.

regards Worgeordie

Happened to me too at a convenience store. Since this time I avoid them if possible or use only small notes there. With big notes I pay at Tops or Big C. There I never ever had a problem.

3 hours ago, samsensam said:

not sure about the dangerous bit, but if you knew anything about thai culture you'd know why she is referred to as 'aunt'.

Old ladies are called aunt in thai culture. Got it, thanks.