Property sector calls on government to change visa regulations to stimulate economy

webfact

Interesting how government officials are the first to let go of integrity and merit for a few quid.    It is all just a game to them.   Just like calling a national emergency then having to recall it.  Were the Shinawatras this bad?  One would guess the 1% own most of these condos.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CraigInBangkok said:

can't see the igloo doing so well here, although they may be able to sell ice by the truck load ????????

They are known as Inuit, and I don’t think they’d like the weather in Thailand. I did meet one once in a bar on soi 22. He was from Greenland.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

This is the most bad idea of all.   It will be the last nail in the coffin for cheap land houses in Thailand.  Once there is no restriction of land ownership it will all be bought up.  

Many foreigners and also you with

a Thai wife would want relaxing on land ownership.   But believe me.  The situation you will find yourself in a few years ahead is nothing you will wish for.  
there are hundreds of thousand Chinese people that would buy house and land if they could. 

Be warned !

Edited by GeilGeilertzen
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

As the Chinese economy continues to suffer, we will see thousands, maybe tens of thousands of Chinese buying garbage Thai property. 

Or sellling, if they need to raise working capital to keep businesses going. Not sure how it'll net out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Err, if you have been with a gal married for over 5 years and can prove as have stayed with her then what is the problem? Don't think these IO's are people who just fell off the cookie truck and can't tell body chemistry. Even now days they have better checks and balances on the marriages and my current wife is not one of those gals you seem to look down upon. And what does that have to do with the price of tea in Japan even if some guy fell in love with a gal who was serving beer or giving companionship? We still cannot outright own things here for the most part. For me no biggie as I have children to take over on all invested assets as well as my wife.

Ill-repute? Sounds like what the masses of Thai think about the elite and powers that be. The stigma of bar girl and foreigner is fading as the dating websites are producing more different types of couples now. I have been here a long long time, and back in the day one might have been able to grease a palm or two and easily got the PR. The fact is a foreign woman married to a Thai guy has all green lights, where we as gentlemen do not as it is a double racist standard. If these elites and regime were or are ever banished from power  then this might just be a better society for us who have made a life here. I do think the USA and all other countries should do a Tit for Tat and see how their people like it.

By going on the offensive you have completely missed the point about more affluent foreign men exploiting poor local women which is the main concern of the authorities here.

The opposite rarely happens thus foreign women marrying Thai men is not of a similar concern.

You may think the stigma is disappearing but as Thailand is a very conservative country under the surface, older Westerners marrying young Thai women especially those of questionably repute will never be socially acceptable to the vast majority of Thais.

PR is fairly easy if you are determined enough. Get a job, pay taxes for three years, learn to speak Thai and then apply for permanent residency. It's not rocket science.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Even if you used an agent at 15,000 a year, that 75k comes in 4,925,000 less than the silly option of buying a house or condo to get the same privilege. 

The agent option may disappear. (Until about 2006 it was possible to get 1 year 'business visas' for China, no questions asked, in HK. By 2008 6m was the maximum, and the price had doubled. Around the 2008 Olympics the visa agents started saying "meiyou".)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

PR is fairly easy if you are determined enough. Get a job, pay taxes for three years, learn to speak Thai and then apply for permanent residency. It's not rocket science.

That assumes someone wants/needs/is able to do a job (of the kind available to a foreigner in Thailand).

• Like 1

Just now, onebir said:

That assumes someone wants/needs/is able to do a job (of the kind available to a foreigner in Thailand).

Then don't complain if you don't want to put in the effort to get permanent residency.

People here think it should be a gimme if they get a massage while on holiday.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Does ANYONE STILL believe foreign tourism and related spending is merely 9% of GDP? ANYONE??!!

Yes... you need to look up 'multiplier effects' which are large for employment intensive sectors (especially where productivity, or value added per employee, which is what gets counted in GDP, is low.).

• Thanks 1

The 49% condo total area  & land ownership rules are a good idea.

Without them it would end up like Cambodia ,,,,,,,just a mess

The developers who have been saturating the condo market must be really hurting & I

for one have no sympathy for them as the overdevelopment was just    GREED not proper planning.

Whoever did their feasabilities in the last 6 years must be smoking something

Q house on Sukhumvit 6 a classic example Prices start at 18mill,,, joke.

I see 3 units occupied (I presume sold)

Their holding costs must be killing them

• Like 1

Just now, onebir said:

Wanting 'to do a job that doesn't suit you'; and 'wanting to get permanent residence' are equivalent?

The criteria to obtain PR is quite clear and if you want to get it you have to put in the effort.

Why would you do a job that doesn't suit you? There are plenty of options if you are clever enough. 

• Sad 1