Tourism industry insider optimistic on the upcoming high season

webfact

The headline has no bearing on the article. But then, anything in Thailand has no bearing on reality.

I too use the 'but but Covid' excuse for anything and everything now. Case in point: last night I took home a hooker, but when it came time to settle, I told that due to Covid I couldn't pay.. She took it well.

But I digress.

Thailand is doomed.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

And neither bear any resemblance to reality.

They have to face it, it's over. The tourist industry has gone.

Mandatory expensive insurance policy and 14 days quarantine are more than enough to keep the tourist out. They are not going to pay this price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dear Junta. Please keep the borders closed. Don't let anyone in please.

In the meanwhile, my Thai friends contact me if I'm interested to buy their car or house with staggering discounts ("only to you my friend"), ("I'm quite in trouble"), especially around the Don Mueang and Swampy area, where they have a lot of people working um. worked at Thai or the travel industry. I hear people leaving their houses and their loans to disappear back to the province. And no one moving in. I hear it's "REALLY" bad, although I see no such pain in the area I live (close to Sathorn.) So I was thinking, when this "high season" is gone, I will be on the buying side if I can really get that 50% discount on the car price (I wonder if that is really true or not), or the huge discount on the house.

So, for me this is great from a very selfish perspective. Dear Junta, you have my vote. ❤️

• Sad 3

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

With many European countries, USA and other nations all sliding back into lock-down measures or experiencing higher infection rates you could change optimistic to a racing certainty.

The heat , was ruled out it will never affect c19 numbers, and now winter approaches europe and c19 goes mad it still does not play a role in statistics

Were were going on a summer holiday, now were are cough freaks, unemployed, the world a crisis, printing money for the rich, and 2 sociopaths running for president of disneyland.

6 hours ago, zim1982 said:

The headline has no bearing on the article. But then, anything in Thailand has no bearing on reality.

I too use the 'but but Covid' excuse for anything and everything now. Case in point: last night I took home a hooker, but when it came time to settle, I told that due to Covid I couldn't pay.. She took it well.

But I digress.

Thailand is doomed.

it takes a special kind of fellow to turn the covid discussion to sex tourism.

Are we supposed to be impressed or did you just feel the need to share?

10 minutes ago, n00dle said:

c19 is the excuse for a world overrun by sociopaths and over populated , it was going to happen, freddy and fanny the first dose, now , nowhere to put money, other than 0 percent banks, or try Bitcoin or buy antiques, classic cars or gold if you want to run to late. 

Tragic is tragic, that's what all you posters have to think about , and I wish I could come back, soon, maybe Xmas , at least the Thai genuine people still can joking and make fun,

5 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

c19 is the excuse for a world overrun by sociopaths and over populated , it was going to happen, freddy and fanny the first dose, now , nowhere to put money, other than 0 percent banks, or try Bitcoin or buy antiques, classic cars or gold if you want to run to late. 

Tragic is tragic, that's what all you posters have to think about , and I wish I could come back, soon, maybe Xmas , at least the Thai genuine people still can joking and make fun,

well said indeed.

7 hours ago, zim1982 said:

But I digress.

Thailand is doomed.

One of the most inane posts I've ever read on TVF, and there have been many!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, n00dle said:

I have no time for people like that he will be the first person here on TVF on my ignore list

• Haha 1

On 10/26/2020 at 5:30 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Just this weekend, all half decent to decent places to stay at on Koh Samet were fully booked. 

Thai’s are taking advantage of the 40% discount opportunities along with the 40% off (up to 900 baht) per day in restaurants.

Pattaya was also apparently very busy this weekend, as was Hua Hin. I assume other areas such as Khao Yai, Chiang Mai were also busy (?) - but that is only over a long weekend. 

I can see periods of long weekends, government holidays, school holidays etc as trigging brief periods of high demand - other than that there will be no such thing as high season this year unless Thailand opens up to foreign tourists. 

Yes, I have made a few trips out and about, in the last couple months. Stayed in a really funky boutique palce in ratburi a couple weekends running. It was full of bangkok thais. I mean full. Not an empty room in the place.

On 10/26/2020 at 3:39 PM, DrTuner said:

I was looking at a trip up north .. but rainy season, then followed by smoky season, all topped off with wearing uncomfortable masks for a flight .. nah. Will stay within driving distance. Which is not bad at the moment, for first time in years Thai friends are coming back to Pattaya, now that the Chinese hordes are gone. I do like the change in demographics.

Cant wewr a mask for an hour long flight. What utter nonsense.

I note major car rental prices have now increased due to it now being the "high season".

How can there be a high or low season price structure in this pandemic induced slump?

Perhaps there is no direct relationship between hotel bookings & car rental demand.

Surely domestic car rental demand cannot be so high that it is totally compensating for a complete lack of foreign visitors with tourist visas?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Derek B said:

Surely domestic car rental demand cannot be so high that it is totally compensating for a complete lack of foreign visitors with tourist visas?

My SIL works in a major chain as manager. According to her, yes, domestic demand is high enough. The small places might be suffering.

On 10/26/2020 at 11:17 PM, n00dle said:

Whatever floats your boat, 'senior member'.