How is space on keyboard called in Thai?

Opossum

7 minutes ago, Opossum said:

With your inputs, I can dive deeper and cross-check this with google

Google is what a previous poster used to come up with "Thæ̆b phụ̄̂nthī̀ k̄hxng phīsī".  Best avoided.  Utterly clueless.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 11:07 AM, Oxx said:

Google is what a previous poster used to come up with "Thæ̆b phụ̄̂nthī̀ k̄hxng phīsī".  Best avoided.  Utterly clueless.

Not clueless, we are entitled as learners to be clueless. 
แท็บพื้นที่ของพีซี Sounds like "tap the PC's พื้นที่ " is that what it says?  If so it seems to be the answer to the question "how to create a space on a Thai language keyboard?"    On my virtual keyboard the space bar is not labelled.  So since พื้น can mean plain, ผ้าพื้น ( cloth without a pattern) it is possible that in the context of computers (ปุ่ม)พื้น ที่พีซี could say plain key on the PC.   Edit: Forgetting ของ wasn't deliberate. I can't make พื้นที่ " plain place" but maybe with the mixture of Thai and English nowadays it is possible. 

On 10/26/2020 at 8:35 AM, teacherclaire said:

แท็บพื้นที่ของพีซี

Thæ̆b phụ̄̂nthī̀ k̄hxng phīsī

I would like to follow your search teacherclaire to check my reasoning; can you remember how you found it? 

Edited by tgeezer
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

I was not commenting on the poster, but commenting on Google's cluelessness when it comes to translation.  Assuming that the poster put in something sensible in her Google query, Google came back with something completely useless.

7 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

แท็บพื้นที่ของพีซี Sounds like "tap the PC's พื้นที่ " is that what it says?  If so it seems to be the answer to the question "how to create a space on a Thai language keyboard?"    On my virtual keyboard the space bar is not labelled.  So since พื้น can mean plain, ผ้าพื้น ( cloth without a pattern) it is possible that in the context of computers (ปุ่ม)พื้น ที่พีซี could say plain key on the PC.   Edit: Forgetting ของ wasn't deliberate. I can't make พื้นที่ " plain place" but maybe with the mixture of Thai and English nowadays it is possible. 

I would like to follow your search teacherclaire to check my reasoning; can you remember how you found it? 

It's สเปซบาร์ and they also call it "Space Bar."

But the word in Thai is as i already wrote: 

"แท็บพื้นที่ของพีซี"
Thæ̆b phụ̄̂nthī̀ k̄hxng phīsī

38 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

But the word in Thai is as i already wrote: 

"แท็บพื้นที่ของพีซี"

And yet a Google search for "แท็บพื้นที่ของพีซี" only produces a single result - your previous posting.  Pretty amazing if that really is the term.  I suspect you're trying to defend the indefensible.

56 minutes ago, Oxx said:

I was not commenting on the poster, but commenting on Google's cluelessness when it comes to translation.  Assuming that the poster put in something sensible in her Google query, Google came back with something completely useless.

I put Space Bar into Google translate and the lady  came back with SA-PACE BAH.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Thank you. Space bar is a noun. 
แท็บพื้นที่ของพีซี could be a นามวลี  which Thai can see as a noun but I would have difficulty fitting it into a sentence. Press the space key = กดแท๊บพื้นที่ของพีซี Can you see the difficulty? 

I think that Google can be a little difficult although there must be a kernel of truth in it if it can be found. 
edit: Wrong quote here. I thought that I was replying to teacherclaire's last post. 

Edited by tgeezer

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Did you then try searching Google for "'สเปซบาร์"? Top results (for me, at least)  "บริษัท สเปซ บาร์ จำกัด", "Drunk Space Bar", "Spacebar Design Studio", "SO SOUL SPACE BAR", "Space bar salaya" &c..  Not a lot there about keyboards.  Again, it shows the perils of believing Google for English-Thai translation.

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Oxx said:
2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Did you then try searching Google for "'สเปซบาร์"? Top results (for me, at least)  "บริษัท สเปซ บาร์ จำกัด", "Drunk Space Bar", "Spacebar Design Studio", "SO SOUL SPACE BAR", "Space bar salaya" &c..  Not a lot there about keyboards.  Again, it shows the perils of believing Google for English-Thai translation.

I think that's just because they usually write space bar or spacebar rather than transliterating. See here for example, where you can learn to use "Energy Dance Mode".

We've already got เว้นวรรค courtesy of KeeTua's wife. Strictly speaking I think that's the space itself (but in English, would you say "press the question mark key"? It's really just a quirk of English that we say "space bar" as often as we do).

If you really want a word in there that means "key" or "bar" or whatever, I believe the original Thai terms were คานเคาะวรรค or คานเว้นวรรค or คานเคาะ. See here for example - there may have been other variations too. I'm not sure how widely used those terms are now though.

• Confused 1

On 10/26/2020 at 5:31 PM, farang51 said:

Thanks. I am still learning the letters, and every time I think I am beginning to get a hang of it, I encounter something like this. ????

that's why I like this language , some "strange " things , different  language ????

26 minutes ago, Aforek said:

that's why I like this language , some "strange " things , different  language ????

Very true, and it doesn't get very much better. My "translator" complains that I always come up with strange Thai.  I should then drop the subject because if a university educated graduate in language doesn't know, why should I?  
แท็บ could mean เคาะ tap (Verb) or tab (Eng.noun). Tab probably means nothing to a generation who have never used a typewriter but who knows the background of the Google translator? 

5 hours ago, tgeezer said:

who knows the background of the Google translator?

You know it's statistical, right? It looks for similar sentences previously translated by human beings and tries to stitch something together out of what it finds. This works quite well for language pairs where there is a lot of previously translated material and it is reasonable quality (like French / English). For other pairs, not so much. Amazon used it / a similar approach to translate English product descriptions to Swedish when it recently launched in Sweden, with some fairly comical results.

On 10/30/2020 at 6:22 PM, JHicks said:

You know it's statistical, right? It looks for similar sentences previously translated by human beings and tries to stitch something together out of what it finds. This works quite well for language pairs where there is a lot of previously translated material and it is reasonable quality (like French / English). For other pairs, not so much. Amazlaon used it / a similar approach to translate English product descriptions to Swedish when it recently launched in Sweden, with some fairly comical results.

True, I just copy/paste your text in Google translate, and asked it to translate in French, and   translation is 99.99% good

which percentage for English to Thai  ? 

1 hour ago, PPMMUU said:

most Thais called this สเปซบาร์ (space bar)

I'm really impressed that you've surveyed all Thai people on what they call this key to come to the conclusion that "most Thais" call is "space bar".  Or are you simply making this up?

On 11/7/2020 at 5:49 PM, Oxx said:

I'm really impressed that you've surveyed all Thai people on what they call this key to come to the conclusion that "most Thais" call is "space bar".  Or are you simply making this up?

30+ years of living in Thailand I have never met any Thais who called this by name other than สเปซบาร์.

Also I have never surveyed all Thai. Nobody had. Ever.