Motorbike / Scooter on Train - October 2020

Scaliwags66

16 hours ago, Scaliwags66 said:

Hey guys, 

Just thought I would post some info incase anyone was interested. I took the train from Bangkok to Surat Thani this week on Train #85. Overnight sleeper train from Hua Lamphong to Surat Thani. On-time departure at 7:30 pm and 2.5 hour late arrival at 9:30am (scheduled 7:00am).

I brought my PCX 150cc bike on the train. Super easy, drove it straight up the little building inside the station right next to track #12. I paid 1,026 baht for the bike, and around 810 baht for my own ticket (2nd class sleeper which was great and spacious but no electrical outlet if that matters). The guy who did the paperwork/payment for the bike then immediately pointed me to the train staff who only said one word to me...."tip, tip." I gave the 2 of them a total of 200 baht which maybe is a bit much but whatever, they were pleased. Then went inside station and waited for train to arrive. When I came back board the train I didn't see the bike as they had already loaded it on the train. 

I chose not to wrap it with bubble wrap, but you can pay them 150 baht to do that for you. My bike is a 2013 so I wasn't too concerned. But staff didn't seem to think it was needed asking like "you worried?" when I inquired. 

When I arrived in Surat Thani, my bike was already sitting on the platform by the time I got off the train. It was in same shape but just a little dusty. All good. 

Previously I have seen blogs saying they made rule in 2018 with 125cc maximum size for bike on the train, but they told me now it is 155cc maximum. Which makes more sense to be able to include all the PCX, NMAX, and Aerox and other 150cc models. I stopped by stations in Trang and Chumphon when I drove thru last month to check and they all said same 155cc maximum. 

Main things they said: 

-arrive one hour before train departure. 

-have your own seat ticket already for the train before dealing with bike.

-make sure your train has has the cargo hold for the bike as maybe not all trains do? I am not sure about this but ask before buying seat

-they told me I needed the green book which I had. Not sure what they would do with out or just a copy. 

-tip the handlers

-can pay them to wrap bike for 150 baht 

That is about all I can think of. Easy trip. Left BKK at 7:30pm, arrived in Surat Thani 9:30am and by 2pm I was in Phuket.

Cheers!

I might have been one of those that said it was 125;max . But great to here of upgrade to 155.

It's a great service and i have never had any damage in the past.

Thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, mikeyjj said:

I never tip if someone asks for it what they going to do refuse to take the bike on the train after you have already paid them? do they ask fellow Thais for tips also ? I bet they don’t !

I dont know man, but they might not be so careful with it or forget to take off the train at your stop lol. Up to you man. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jack Mountain said:

No problem if gas in the tank?

They made no mention of gas in the tank. I was down to 1 or 2 bars on the gauge anyway, but they couldn't see that since they never had the key. But yeah they didn't seem concerned. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, alx123 said:

Great info, very interesting.  Thank you

too bad on the cc limitation though..

Yeah agreed. Would be nice if bigger bikes allowed too. I wonder if because they might not have enough staff to get the bigger heavier bikes on? I don't know. Seems like they are actually lifting the bikes on rather than rolling them on somehow...but again I didn't know or see in my bike's case. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Scaliwags66 said:

make sure your train has has the cargo hold for the bike as maybe not all trains do? I am not sure about this but ask before buying seat

-they told me I needed the green book which I had. Not sure what they would do with out or just a copy. 

-tip the handlers

-can pay them to wrap bike for 150 baht 

as far as I know all "Express" type have cargo for motorcycles. 
Post office do it by green book copy, but more pricy than train + about 250 B for wrapping if I recall it correctly.
I prefer train rather than post office, but soon I'm going to send my motorcycle by PO since I live far away in North of Bangkok. Too far from the train station (I have a luggage too). 

4 hours ago, The Theory said:

as far as I know all "Express" type have cargo for motorcycles. 
Post office do it by green book copy, but more pricy than train + about 250 B for wrapping if I recall it correctly.
I prefer train rather than post office, but soon I'm going to send my motorcycle by PO since I live far away in North of Bangkok. Too far from the train station (I have a luggage too). 

Oh ok, good to know about Express trains. I was looking online at tickets and wasn't sure which one would have the cargo, so I ended up just driving to the station and buying the ticket after asking if bike could go on. Should have asked more generally for future reference.

Yeah PO sounds good option too if far away from train station or just can't be bothered and prefer to fly yourself. Thanks 

Edited by Scaliwags66
added more

43 minutes ago, Scaliwags66 said:

Oh ok, good to know about Express trains. I was looking online at tickets and wasn't sure which one would have the cargo, so I ended up just driving to the station and buying the ticket after asking if bike could go on. Should have asked more generally for future reference.

Yeah PO sounds good option too if far away from train station or just can't be bothered and prefer to fly yourself. Thanks 

You may want to have a look, 

I'm not sure how recent the information could be.

https://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm

4 hours ago, Agusts said:

Thanks for the info, as you rode from Surat to Phuket, so you can tour...., next time just ride up to Hua Hin and stay a night there, then down south, I think even with hotel, food and a beer it would cost less.  ! ????

I live in Phuket so came back home. But last month I drove to Bangkok from Phuket and stopped off in Hua Hin for 4 nights. Had a good time! Will be back again before too long I am sure. 

Was just a bit lazy to drive all the way back to Phuket since I have already done the drive and the weather has been not ideal for touring from what I had seen in BKK at least as of late. 

• Like 1