'It'll be carnage': British companies dread a Brexit border breakdown

snoop1130

16 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

Indeed the EU protect the interest of her members, like the US does (the US is more protectionist than the EU) and indeed China does (even more). 

Trading freely with the whole world will not happen, even though this is what has been sold to you, and I see you are still a believer. 

I'm not sure you understand every trading block protects its interest and this is not going to change but rather protectionism is on a very fast rise. 

Another preoccupation is the Brexit is going opposite to the world today: this strategy could have been fine in the 80' 90' or early 2000'

... now since 2008, globalization has slowed, if not reversed, and now it's definitely reversing with Trump and Covid-19. 

E. G. if you want to sell your services to the US, you cannot do it without sacrificing your farmers.

We are not talking about a few fishermen who want more fishing quotas there, but about a whole sector with many jobs and families. 

With free trade, they won't be able to compete with the huge Brazilian / US farms, chlorinated chicken, whatever... 

Trading deals are "give and take", the problem with the UK alone is that it does not have much to give, or rather at a hefty cost. 

That's why I think Brexit would have been more clever keeping the European Free Trade Area (and limiting the risk of ending the Union). 

As to fishing zones, if I were a negotiator, that's probably the very first thing l'd trade: EU aside, other world powers are not interested in those fishing zones and it turns out they are quite worthless without market access. 

In the late 1980s, grants from Europe were made available for fishing communities to modernise their boats and tackle. This funding had to be match-funded by national governments. Other governments supplied this funding, unlike the UK. The result was that British fishermen were unable to compete with the bigger, more efficient boats, and many sold their quota to French, Spanish or Dutch fishing companies. The quotas were introduced to preserve fish stocks.

The reason the future of fishing is so fraught in the Brexit negotiations is that other European nations paid British fishermen to be able to fish for what had been British quotas.
Veronica Hardstaff, MEP for Lincolnshire 1994-1999 and former member of the European parliament fishing committee, Sheffield

The most serious threat to the UK fishing fleet is that 37% of fish caught by UK boats are landed in the European Economic Area, with the largest shares being exported to Norway, the Netherlands and France. The UK fleet may well want a larger quota of available stocks, but the main species found in UK waters are mackerel and herring, which do not have a UK market. The continuation of EU/EEA landing rights without tariffs, quotas or phytosanitary restrictions is far more important than sharing a few cod with France. A no-deal Brexit would result in the loss of substantial and valuable exports for the UK fishing fleet.

Eric Goodyer
Birsay, Orkney

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/25/britain-at-fault-for-brexit-fishing-woes-letters?CMP=

I'd trade it against market access for my automotive industry, chemical industry, whatever.. it actually has very little value for the UK, although it's symbolic 

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, evadgib said:

"I mentioned it once but think I got away with it!"

Pleaassse stop digging 49; I'm doing the laughing policeman all over again! ????

Go on then; tell us what the event of Earthshattering importance was, then.

Your continued refusal to do so only reinforces the evidence of you conspiracy theory absurdities. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Go on then; tell us what the event of Earthshattering importance was, then.

Your continued refusal to do so only reinforces the evidence of you conspiracy theory absurdities. 

Do yourself a favor and put him on ignore. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

I don't use the ignore  button; and certainly wouldn't when watching @evadgib tie himself in knots in his attempts at self justification is so amusing.

The event to which you refer occurred and in doing so blew your 'on a Perch in Thailand' out of the water. Having proved my point I have nothing further to add.

Goodnight 49 ????

+

29 minutes ago, evadgib said:

The event to which you refer occurred and in doing so blew your 'on a Perch in Thailand' out of the water. Having proved my point I have nothing further to add.

Goodnight 49 ????

+

As you still refuse point blank to say what that 'event' was, you have blown nothing out of the water and rather than proving your point, have yet again proven mine!

But keep it up; we all need a good laugh in these uncertain times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Really? And which side was telling the truth?

Yup that would have been the remain side.

Still you decided to vote leave and do not seem to have changed your mind since. Which I always find odd. Most people when presented with new facts and evidence will reappraise their position but not Brexiteers it seems. 

I think you will find that both sides told lies 

and I think you will find that on both the leave and remain side large number of people had already made their minds up a long time before June 2016

Without even asking you from your posts the TVF members have a good idea which way you voted in  the last Scottish independence referendum. And which way you will vote when the next Scottish independence referendum occurs.

• Like 2

On 10/26/2020 at 12:22 PM, lungbing said:

But there has not been any Brexit failures.  All we have is people like you and those with a vested interest telling us it's going to fail.  The egg may well be upon your face.

It's not going to fail but it will be costly and someone (the consumer) will have to pick up the tab.

1 hour ago, pagan1 said:

Useful summary of the current position and issues remaining

There are valid points here and our Brexiteers posters could comment. 

Now I'm not a fan of this kind of videos : this guy is not a journalist he is just saying what's on his mind, like "this pandemic allowed this government to steal billions of our money" (11'13" +).

This is a big red flag, worse than Johnson reporting that the EU legislates on bendy bananas.

At least Johnson was sacked for lying as a reporter. Here on YouTube, no-one can fire that guy and his video goes viral.. 

• Like 1

Just now, 3NUMBAS said:

if thats what the eu wishes for then what can uk do ..they want to cut off their noses to spite  their faces then so be it

nigel farage is waiting in the wings to gobble up bojo should he backslide, by bringing back the brexit party and theres also the new BLM party to consider

19 minutes ago, pagan1 said:

First the Brexiteers blamed the EU then they blamed Cameron, then they blamed the Conservative Party, then Theresa May, then the Remainers, then the EU again. Now the blame has moved to Boris Johnson, business for not being prepared and Covid. We are only a short step away from the Brexiteers saying the electorate was wrong for voting for Brexit !!!

You couldn't make it up

UK and India agree to strengthen economic relationship to boost jobs

Chancellor and Indian Finance Minister hold talks, committing to deepen economic relationship to boost jobs and investment in the UK and India.

One of several published today.

HTH

22 hours ago, evadgib said:

"I mentioned it once but think I got away with it! :clap2:

You've mentioned more than once your absurd allegation that I post under multiple identities.

You've mentioned more than once  your prediction of an event of Earthshattering significance/importance would occur within walking distance of my home.

You've mentioned more than once that the aforementioned event happened.

What you haven't mentioned at all; in fact point blank refuse to mention, is what that event was!

Which leads to only two possible conclusions:

1. you fell for yet another conspiracy site, probably QAnon given your past allegiance, false prediction, or;
  2. you made the whole thing up in the hope it would be forgotten before you had to put your money where your mouth was.

Whichever it is, you have done far more to prove my earlier points about you than I ever could.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, pagan1 said:

First the Brexiteers blamed the EU then they blamed Cameron, then they blamed the Conservative Party, then Theresa May, then the Remainers, then the EU again. Now the blame has moved to Boris Johnson, business for not being prepared and Covid. We are only a short step away from the Brexiteers saying the electorate was wrong for voting for Brexit !!!

You couldn't make it up

Well you just did.

• Like 2