'It'll be carnage': British companies dread a Brexit border breakdown

snoop1130

According to The Express :

"Brexit deal just ONE WEEK away from being reached as UK and EU negotiators make progress

HOPES of a Brexit deal were handed a boost after British and European Union negotiators edged closer to a compromise.

15:02, Wed, Oct 28, 2020 | UPDATED: 16:45, Wed, Oct 28, 2020"

45 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

According to The Express :

"Brexit deal just ONE WEEK away from being reached as UK and EU negotiators make progress

HOPES of a Brexit deal were handed a boost after British and European Union negotiators edged closer to a compromise.

15:02, Wed, Oct 28, 2020 | UPDATED: 16:45, Wed, Oct 28, 2020"

Thank god for that, I already had given up hope of ever eating fish again in the EU ( well that's what the Brits thought )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

It is now up to the government to prove by  concrete measures, to the benefit of all, that the mathematic winners of the referendum were right, and the others wrong. 

It's not about right and wrong ........... democracy is about the will of the people.

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It's not about right and wrong ........... democracy is about the will of the people.

Correct, right & wrong is maybe not the precise words to use. 

There is a democratic result.

However one can not denied that the will of the people shows clearly a different approach. 

In my opinion a government can not ignore such kind of result, and thus has to act accordingly. 

Contrary to Brexit, which is here to stay, a government is a changeable entity. 

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

The result, if one look at it pragmatically, shows that people of a country are completely divided about which way their nation should go in the future. 

However there is a mathematical result. 

This result must be respected, as it was obtained in a democratic way. 

That some of the "victors" consider now that there should be a "Woe to the vanquished", is a wrong approach. 

It is now up to the government to prove by  concrete measures, to the benefit of all, that the mathematic winners of the referendum were right, and the others wrong. 

Of course the result showed that here is division but the point is made that the referendum was necessary. 

• Like 1

Just now, nauseus said:

Of course the result showed that here is division but the point is made that the referendum was necessary. 

Not really understand what you mean by "necessary" . 

That the 52 won democrately, is a fact which cannot be denied. 

That the 48/52 result, showing that the British voters are completely divided about the situation, is a fact too. 

25 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

It was necessary because it proved that the country was being dragged in a direction that the majority of the people who cared enough to vote on it, did not wish for (further integration into the failing Federalist EU project).

For me the result of 52/48 is not important enough to claim that there a significant wish of the British voters to go in only one particular direction.

However 52% is a mathematical majority, that no one can contest.

7 hours ago, RayC said:

You couldn't make this up: You are basically suggesting that he inability of successive UK governments to (seemingly) deliver an amicable divorce from the EU is the fault of Remainers, who didn't want the divorce in the first place.

The truth of the matter is that this current fiasco is a creation - and failure - of the Tory party: Cameron gambled and called an unnecessary referendum. Having lost, he resigned. May inherited what should have been an ample enough parliamentary majority of 12 - in reality, 20 with the support of the DUP. However, fearful that the ERG - a group who had no interest in pursuing an amicable divorce -  would not support her negotiations, she gambled and called an unnecessary election, the result of which left her at the ERG's behest.

The current position is nothing to do with Remainers; it is the fault of 'hard' Brexiters, who take no responsibility or accept any accountability for their actions.

You couldn't make this up: You are basically suggesting that he inability of successive UK governments to (seemingly) deliver an amicable divorce from the EU is the fault of Remainers, who didn't want the divorce in the first place.

It is not a suggestion, but a statement. You can deny as much as you like 'Ray' but you know as well as I do that without the inactions of our parliamentary remainers, we would not be where we are today.

Strangely you mention the ERG but fail to mention the Labour, SNP and the Lib/Dem Parties. Basically by wanting to deny what the country had voted for, they missed the boat called 'I don't Believe in Democracy'

The truth of the matter is that this current fiasco is a creation - and failure - of the Tory party: Cameron gambled and called an unnecessary referendum. 

Just because you deem the referendum "unnecessary" it doesn't make it so, the country thought otherwise or would not have voted to leave. If the remainers were a little less selfish they would understand how democracy works, sorry you personally didn't agree with it, but you can sleep more peacefull in your bed knowing most of our country did.

So no matter how much you deny that your remainer parliament had nothing to do with where we are today the more the proverbial ostrich head gets deeper into the sand. Time to accept the massive part and responsibility that the remainers played in our extrication of our partnership with the EU, so well done.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

For me the result of 52/48 is not important enough to claim that there a significant wish of the British voters to go in only one particular direction.

However 52% is a mathematical majority, that no one can contest.

You'd have gone with the 48?

Not really understand what you mean by "necessary" . 

That the 52 won democrately, is a fact which cannot be denied. 

That the 48/52 result, showing that the British voters are completely divided about the situation, is a fact too. 

adjective

required to be done, achieved, or present; needed; essential.

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

You'd have gone with the 48?

Not sure what you mean.

If you mean, if I would have voted Remain :

yes, because there were not enough concrete factors in my opinion to be assured that things would be better for the man in the street as I am.

So far I am still not convinced.

The U.K. will save huge money by not paying their contribution to the E.U. anymore.

I still have to read what concrete benefit the man in the street in the U.K. will have from this money.

16 minutes ago, nauseus said:

adjective

required to be done, achieved, or present; needed; essential.

Needed/essential are relative concepts. 

One thing is sure, it revealed how divided the British people are about this particular subject. 

So maybe one can state it was needed to know this fact.

This is next to the fact that Leavers won democrately. 

24 minutes ago, Susco said:

From his approval ratings, it seems the majority of Brits doesn't agree with you

Ratings are "snapshots". 

It would be enough that Mr. Johnson increase the pensions of the retired/veterans to a decent level (no more to endure the dismal fact it is the lowest in Europe) and sure his ratings will increase considerably. 

Edited by luckyluke

Needed/essential are relative concepts. 

One thing is sure, it revealed how divided the British people are about this particular subject. 

So maybe one can state it was needed to know this fact.

This is next to the fact that Leavers won democrately. 

It was needed to know this fact. There. I said it.

And the Leavers won democratically. There. I said that too.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, nauseus said:

It was needed to know this fact. There. I said it.

And the Leavers won democratically. There. I said that too.

Don't understand the need to repeat me, but ok,

as mostly the way to express yourself, must be very clear for natural English speakers, but rather difficult ( risk of misunderstanding) if not incomprehensible, for not English speakers as myself.

I am sure some of your quotes must be hilarious, or/and extra wise for the "insiders".

2 hours ago, Surelynot said:

https://www.facebook.com/1917259725249262/posts/2408952996079930/?vh=e&d=w

What I cannot fathom is Johnson, Gove, Raab et al all understand and accept this as a given, yet press ahead......it is sheer lunacy.

It must be a power trip for them personally and they really do not give a flying **** for the country or anyone in it.

Can you show that Johnson, Gove, Raab et al all "understand and accept this"?  

On 10/26/2020 at 7:18 PM, welovesundaysatspace said:

Or is Remainer Reuters to blame? 

As a European, I love reading all those Brexit failures. It keeps giving and giving. Brexiteers have so much egg on their face by now, they look like a bukkake party. Lovely. 

Only a remainer would swallow that lot.

• Haha 2