'It'll be carnage': British companies dread a Brexit border breakdown

snoop1130

7 hours ago, nauseus said:

I used the example of the UK and Switzerland but referendums occur far less frequently in the UK. I think only 6 years is too soon for a vote on the same question, yes.

What I personally agree with does not matter. I am sure that any government would not ask for my individual blessing for any referendum. 

Same question but completely different circumstances. 

Following your logic we should not be having general elections every 5 years. Or indeed even sooner than that when it suits the Conservative party. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Following your logic we should not be having general elections every 5 years. Or indeed even sooner than that when it suits the Conservative party. 

Labour and the SNP triggered the last one did they not?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RayC said:

Were the electorate as a whole (Remainers and Leavers) more informed than MPs when it came to the pros and cons of Brexit? If they were, they shouldn't have been. After all, we elect politicans to make informed decisions on our behalf. 

Although we probably disagree about who is responsible, I assume that we agree that the referendum result has caused an enormous divide in UK society? I would contend that if the decision to leave had been made by government, it would not have opened such a schism, although I accept that this is pure conjecture.

I think that it's not hard to see that the ratio of "informed" (elected) politicians to those that are ill-informed has been declining for years, although a being "well informed" MP does not necessarily guarantee that an MP will serve the best interests of his voters, anyway. I think MPs are elected if they are seen as the candidates most likely to vote for the interests of individual voters, whether these interests, or policies, are local or national. 

I can agree that the referendum result has highlighted a division but I think that had been there for years. I would say that If the government had just decided to leave (with no referendum) then the kickback from remain would have been harder than it has been but that there would have been more justification for it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

If you want to highlight completely different circumstances you should start with general elections and referendums. 

More 'getting on with it' from HMG:

Breadth of UK food, drink and innovation set to shine at the 2020 China International Import Expo

The UK will showcase the best of British at the third China International Import Expo (CIIE), following a record-breaking year of £100 billion in trade between the two nations.

And again:

Finance Ministers Sunak and Sitharaman hold landmark dialogue

(Note: I'm unable to shrink the font on this device or inc a quote from the 2nd link)

Edited by evadgib

5 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

So you get asked the same question every time you vote in a general election but you think we should not be asking the same question in a referendum after 6 years when the circumstances have completely changed.

Yeah ok. I suppose inconsistency is a Brexiteer constant. 

Referendums suit single issues. General elections do not. That's why the word 'general' is included. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

They are both campaigns dealing with many arguments for and against.

You are splitting hairs again. You either agree with democracy or you dont.

You can't seem to take in and accept what I say. Just as you can't take in and accept the referendum result. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

How wonderfully naïve!

Individual MPs have been seen as mere lobby fodder by their party leaders and whips since at least the 18th century! Follow the party line or at best have the whip withdrawn, be too critical of your leader and be expelled.

There may be a handful of voters in any constituency who vote for the individual; but most vote for the party regardless. Where I live the Tories could put up a one legged donkey and it would win. Even floating voters tend to vote for the party rather than the candidate. That is why there are so few independent MPs elected.

If any government had decided to leave without reference to the people then you are probably right. Look at the resentment caused by the government forcing it's WA on us without giving us a say. I include May's attempts to do that as well as the agreement Boris has since decided he signed with his fingers crossed behind his back.

But had Remain won in 2016 I suspect that many Brexiteers would have been echoing Farage's call for another referendum when he thought Remain was going to win by 52% to 48%. Nigel Farage: Narrow Remain win may lead to second referendum

As we all know, when Leave won by that margin he hailed it as a magnificent victory!

I was referring to the low number of seemingly "informed" politicians these days (like some of your naïve heroes and heroines no doubt). Some of the goons exposed these days are just a national embarrassment. The uses and effects of the party whips are a different issue. Smart individual politicians will stand out, whip or no whip.   

If Remain had won there would not have been a call for another referendum, whatever Farage did. Unlike remainers, leavers are capable of respecting a democratic vote.

It was indeed a magnificent victory! Hurrah!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Referendums suit single issues. General elections do not. That's why the word 'general' is included. 

Not really.

They are called 'general' elections because all registered voters in the general population can vote.

Different from an election, such as a by-election, where only a specific section of registered voters can vote.

There have, of course, been single issue general elections. Heath's February 1974 "Me or the miners" one; Johnson's December 2019 "Back my WA or sack me" one both spring to mind.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Not really.

They are called 'general' elections because all registered voters in the general population can vote.

Different from an election, such as a by-election, where only a specific section of registered voters can vote.

There have, of course, been single issue general elections. Heath's February 1974 "Me or the miners" one; Johnson's December 2019 "Back my WA or sack me" one both spring to mind.

Very wobbly now.

9 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I was referring to the low number of seemingly "informed" politicians these days (like some of your naïve heroes and heroines no doubt). Some of the goons exposed these days are just a national embarrassment. The uses and effects of the party whips are a different issue. Smart individual politicians will stand out, whip or no whip.  

Then you are indeed both naïve and ill informed about our party system and the power of the whips! But right about the goons you call a national embarrassment. But 'twas ever thus; in all parties.

Having said that, their are some backbenchers who do stand out, such as Frank Field, now Baron Field, but they are, regrettably, few and far between.

16 minutes ago, nauseus said:

If Remain had won there would not have been a call for another referendum, whatever Farage did.

If you believe that I have a bridge for sale! The 2016 referendum was called because Cameron was afraid of losing votes to UKIP; do you really think that the same threat and pressure would not have resulted in another one? 

18 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Unlike remainers, leavers are capable of respecting a democratic vote.

Remainers, or most of us at least, respect the result; but in a democracy we are allowed to voice our criticism of it.

In a democracy we are also allowed to campaign for a say on the effects of that result via a referendum on the WA. 

It is the Brexiteer attempts to stifle all debate on the subject that is undemocratic.

20 minutes ago, nauseus said:

It was indeed a magnificent victory! Hurrah!

I know the Brexiteer thinking: 52% to 48% victory for Remain; too close to call. 52% to 48% victory for leave; magnificent victory!

Yes, it was a victory for your side; but hardly magnificent. A narrow scrape is more accurate.

• Like 2