vivo android phone can receive emails but not send

soalbundy

I am a complete novice with mobile devices. The keyboard on my computer gave up the ghost and my stepdaughter is trying to drag me into the 21st century so she presented me with her vivo 6 android smart phone as she has bought a new one. i thought that since everybody in my household has such a device they could help me but it turns out they only use them for a few functions, my son plays games, my wife and step daughter watch YouTube, facebook and telephone with them. I know more about the device than they do in the past few days I have played with it.

Problem, although I have sent emails with it, i can't now although I can receive them, it is synced with my Gmail on my computer. i have looked through the settings as a novice and can find nothing wrong. I am trying to send from home sitting next to my modem. Any suggestions ?  i am writing this from a virtual keyboard on my computer.

If your email account is by a non-google email provider then you may need to examine the account configuration settings to see if they match what the email provider requires for both send and receive. If you only use Gmail or Google Workplace (formally G Suite for business) account(s) then the app should just work.

The Gmail app is usually very reliable.

Is the app or phone showing you any error messages or pop-ups?

2 hours ago, RichCor said:

If your email account is by a non-google email provider then you may need to examine the account configuration settings to see if they match what the email provider requires for both send and receive. If you only use Gmail or Google Workplace (formally G Suite for business) account(s) then the app should just work.

The Gmail app is usually very reliable.

Is the app or phone showing you any error messages or pop-ups?

Gmail. Yes an annoying pop-up notification telling me that my current account password had expired, every 20 minutes with a whistle to go with it but ever since it started it didn't affect the function of the phone at all. I didn't know what to do about it. I hadn't any such notification on my computer and the password is the same (out of necessity I would have thought). I did go to two shops that sold handheld devices and they couldn't help me. Under 'accounts and sync' I signed out of the account and signed in again using the same password to match with the computer log in, perhaps I should do it again and use a different password changing the password on the computer as well to match. The reason I didn't do was I thought that having signed out of the account it would make no difference to the machine what password I used.

17 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Gmail. Yes an annoying pop-up notification telling me that my current account password had expired, every 20 minutes

As the other helpful poster suggests, try using your other computer to change the password for your email account, then update the mobile device. This *usually* doesn't happen with gmail accounts, but other email providers will have a timeframe to force users to change passwords on a regular basis (or when a major database has been hacked and the contents made public).

Hopefully a password change and updating it on both devices solves your issue.

Maybe, because the G Mail Account was not used for a while it was classed as dormant from that particular phone.

You could possibly try deleting the App completely, and then reinstall ( as new Account )

Maybe that will work

Did Daughter have issue with this App ? or probably never used it.

3 minutes ago, RichCor said:

As the other helpful poster suggests, try using your other computer to change the password for your email account, then update the mobile device. This *usually* doesn't happen with gmail accounts, but other email providers will have a timeframe to force users to change passwords on a regular basis (or when a major database has been hacked and the contents made public).

Hopefully a password change and updating it on both devices solves your issue.

Thanks for the reply all of you (I've just come back from the dentist) I changed the password on the computer and tried then to sign out on the android, to sign out it wants a password I put in the new one and it flashes back to 'sign out of account' requiring a password !!  I've tried with the old password same thing. Thank god for painkillers

17 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

tried then to sign out on the android, to sign out it wants a password I put in the new one and it flashes back to 'sign out of account' requiring a password !!

Try powering the phone OFF, then back ON.  Then see if it will let you change the password it has stored for that account setting.

Edited by RichCor

45 minutes ago, RichCor said:

Try powering the phone OFF, then back ON.  Then see if it will let you change the password it has stored for that account setting.

done that, now after my reset I can't receive emails nor send them, never mind,it's something to do of an evening

Well thanks everybody for your advice, I don't know how or why but all of a sudden due to my uninformed meddling I can now send and receive emails. It was your backup that gave me the courage of desperation to start swiping and pressing. All is well in the data jungle.