Motorbikes.

Kwasaki

I have had conversations in Thailand with many people who have bikes, Thai and farangies who like their bikes but don't know the catergory of their bike. 

Just wondering out of interest about bike owners here on TV do they know or couldn't care what catergory it is.

• Confused 1

It has two wheels and an engine. What is the other category?

It is not what you ride. it is that you ride.

Now agreed I cannot stomach all the Pattaya guys waffling on about 110cc scooter woes but if they need genuine help.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know very well which category my current big bike is and the bikes I owned before.

One must assume that most big bike riders have at least a little bit interest in bikes and have a rough idea what's on the market and what they prefer.

Scooter riders maybe not so much, it's most likely more of a means of transportation for them, nothing wrong with that. (I have a scooter as well)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

You can't trust the local mechanics here.

Absolutely agree. My experiences so far.

Petrol sucked out of bike. Spark plugs removed and put older ones in. Everything I do on bikes, gets some kind of mark. If it is missing, someone was at it.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

It has two wheels and an engine. What is the other category?

It is not what you ride. it is that you ride.

Now agreed I cannot stomach all the Pattaya guys waffling on about 110cc scooter woes but if they need genuine help.

What you say is what i got from from many bike riders, they weren't bother about what bike they had, only interested in liking the bike and riding it. 

You " What is the other category?" you tell me ???? what category of bike or bikes do you have.?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

just an excuse to talk about "big" bikes

That's where your wrong where do I mention big bikes.

My post is about category of bikes.

If you don't know or care about categories of bikes then don't bother commenting.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I know very well which category my current big bike is and the bikes I owned before.

One must assume that most big bike riders have at least a little bit interest in bikes and have a rough idea what's on the market and what they prefer.

Scooter riders maybe not so much, it's most likely more of a means of transportation for them, nothing wrong with that. (I have a scooter as well)

Except that what qualifies as a big bike in Thailand would be considered a peanut machine in other parts of the world.

Are crotch rockets with 850cc engines "big bikes"?  Not in many clubs around the world...

And I'll introduce you to several friends who run 5,700 cc Chevy small blocks in their "scooters".  At least that's what they call them.

It's different, depending on where you are and who you associate with.

Edited by impulse
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

You " What is the other category?" you tell me ???? what category of bike or bikes do you have.?

Currently in between houses , towns and bikes. Except for a NSR 300 which I haven't ridden in Bangkok.

When settled probably a Vespa Sprint 150 (for groceries and fiddling with CVT's)  and a Kawasaki Versys 300 ( for exploring , a little, in the mountains and revs don't frighten me ) but I'm open to anything so depends on what pops up.

As for  categories? Hmm well. Motocross is a sport, as is Supermoto so both could termed sport bikes, but are not. One can cruise on a BMW GS yet as GS is not a cruiser. It is somewhat contrived system of delineation. 

I suppose it depends on how one wishes to categorize ones own bike. If at all.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Yeah good call,  I've always know as well but interested in what the bike I had was.

That's the point of my post, finding that most big bike riders are only interested in what they have and not what category the bike is classed at.

Insurance companies usually do. 

I have a Airblade scoot to, great little scoot still looks good after 14 years.

Often the categorizations are quite fluid, without clear borders.

For example: What is a supersport bike? A Ninja H2 has the most power, but it would lose a race on a track against "real" supersport bikes, so it's not a supersport bike, or is it?

Is a CBR300R or Ninja 250 a supersport bike? Or is the power too low and the seating position too upright to call it supersport?

Is a BMW S1000XR an adventure bike? If this isn't an Adventure bike, then why is a Versys 1000 an adventure bike?

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

No idea why you're asking, but I own a 1100 cc cruiser. And I fix all by myself. You can't trust the local mechanics here.

This bike taught me all. 

I ask as post said I am interested in how many people here on TV are interested in what bike they have.

OK you have a mid-weigh cruiser it is a Yam from memory.

OK I'll bite don't know what you mean from taught me all. ????

44 minutes ago, Paiman said:

Absolutely agree. My experiences so far.

Petrol sucked out of bike. Spark plugs removed and put older ones in. Everything I do on bikes, gets some kind of mark. If it is missing, someone was at it.

Wish I could find one, the good mechanics are mostly South in busy areas if you can find one.

Only spanners where I live.

Best mechanic I found was in Nakhon Sawan a big bike Kawasaki dealer.

33 minutes ago, impulse said:

Except that what qualifies as a big bike in Thailand would be considered a peanut machine in other parts of the world.

Are crotch rockets with 850cc engines "big bikes"?  Not in many clubs around the world...

And I'll introduce you to several friends who run

5,700 cc Chevy small blocks in their "scooters".  At least that's what they call them.

It's different, depending on where

you are and who you associate with.

So how would you categorize a 2 wheeled machine with a  5,700 cc Chevy small block lump in their scooter. ????

33 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Are we talking... Dirt, Dual Sport, ADV, ADV Sports, ADV Tourer, Cafe Racer, Sports, Touring, Sports Touring, Cruiser, naked street ?

Or just ‘scooter’ vs ‘Big bike’ ???

Your close to what I ask. 

Before my BIL moved to the U.S., he was a pretty good bike mechanic.  Some of the farangs in Loei trusted him to work on their big bikes.  Now he does a lot of car repairs in his spare time.  Saves people a lot of money.

image.png.db8c0014f440aae0cfc39b63b0511ff1.png

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Currently in between houses , towns and bikes. Except for a NSR 300 which I haven't ridden in Bangkok.

When settled probably a Vespa Sprint 150 (for groceries and fiddling with CVT's)  and a Kawasaki Versys 300 ( for exploring , a little, in the mountains and revs don't frighten me ) but I'm open to anything so depends on what pops up.

As for  categories? Hmm well. Motocross is a sport, as is Supermoto so both could termed sport bikes, but are not. One can cruise on a BMW GS yet as GS is not a cruiser. It is somewhat contrived system of delineation. 

I suppose it depends on how one wishes to categorize ones own bike. If at all.

All will be revealed but easily defined by the manufacturers what the bike is. ????

1 hour ago, impulse said:

And I'll introduce you to several friends who run 5,700 cc Chevy small blocks in their "scooters".  At least that's what they call them.

It's different, depending on where you are and who you associate with.

Those extreme bike you mention are not production bikes.

How will they do on a track compared to a 750cc sports-bike from Japan? Left in the dust I bet, they are not very good at corning.

In most clubs around the world, anything over 750cc is considered big bikes, expect in the US perhaps??

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Often the categorizations are quite fluid, without clear borders.

For example: What is a supersport bike? A Ninja H2 has the most power, but it would lose a race on a track against "real" supersport bikes, so it's not a supersport bike, or is it?

Is a CBR300R or Ninja 250 a supersport bike? Or is the power too low and the seating position too upright to call it supersport?

Is a BMW S1000XR an adventure bike? If this isn't an Adventure bike, then why is a Versys 1000 an adventure bike?

A Supersport bike is a road bike that is similar to a bike that is raced, but basic.

Kwackas H2 category it a Supersports bike. 

CBR300R is a sportsbike.

Ninja 250 inline 4 category would be Supersports bike, the seat position is not upright.

BMW S1000XR is a Sports tourer category.

Versys 1000 is a Sports tourer category. Adventure is just a label.

15 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

If it’s got 5 forward gears and a clutch, big bike. 

Everything else is a motorbike. 

If its got a reverse gear its... oooohhhh velly velly big bike... 

Is Thailand the only country in the world which uses the definition ‘big bike’ ??? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

So how would you categorize a 2 wheeled machine with a  5,700 cc Chevy small block lump in their scooter. 

They're all just scooters to me.  Unless it's a 3 wheeler, then it's either a trike or a tadpole, depending on which end had 2 wheels.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, impulse said:

They're all just scooters to me.  Unless it's a 3 wheeler, then it's either a trike or a tadpole, depending on which end had 2 wheels.

With that size engine in a scoot I would category it as a custom built project motor-scooter.

1533014172_download(6).jpg.a4b115d7739e2219225b3d0f893d9522.jpg