Permanent Residence - Income

There is no minimum income requirement if you have PR since you would not be applying for one year extensions based upon working. You do not have to prove anything to immigration.

For a work permit there is no minimum income requirement.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Ubonjoe. Isn't there a minimum income for the 3 years your working prior to applying for PR.

Yes there is and it needs to be continued until approved. If working it is 80k baht unless married to a Thai and then it is 50k baht.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Is there any minimum income requirement once PR had been achieved?

There isn't, but you still need to declare taxes, and require work permit to work. However there's no minimum salary required (like for those who need annual extensions of stay). In fact you work or don't work, up to you. Only thing that you need to be careful of is that if you travel out of the country (yes, I know, this isn't the time to talk about it...) then you need to make trip to immigration (this can't be done at the airport) and apply for a non-quota immigrant visa & reentry (which are somewhat equivalent of re-entry permit) and take the blue/white book with you, as it would get stamped out and back into the country. If you forget non-quota visa, your PR is cancelled and you need to start from scratch.

Edited by tomazbodner
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the information Joe - just trying to plan for the future.  If I am unlucky and become ill or need long term care I thought I'd have to return to the UK and be faced with the prospect of living out my days in a nursing home. That would also mean selling off my UK assets to pay for that under current UK laws.

My UK pension won't be much when I get to retirement age and certainly wouldn't cover the requirements of marriage extensions. I would have other income but showing/proving that could be problematic. So it looks like PR is an option although I am aware that its not an easy process -  do you know if there's a maximum age for a PR application?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

My UK pension won't be much when I get to retirement age and certainly wouldn't cover the requirements of marriage extensions

My understanding is that extensions based on marriage requirement is 400k baht in bank for only 2 months + under consideration period. So your stating that in future that's beyond your reach? 

Sad.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

So it looks like PR is an option although I am aware that its not an easy process -  do you know if there's a maximum age for a PR application?

No max age. Quite stragiht forward process as long as you qualify, supply required docs, pass the interview in Thai and apply some patience.

More details here  https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=1744

17 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Thanks for the information Joe - just trying to plan for the future.  If I am unlucky and become ill or need long term care I thought I'd have to return to the UK and be faced with the prospect of living out my days in a nursing home. That would also mean selling off my UK assets to pay for that under current UK laws.

My UK pension won't be much when I get to retirement age and certainly wouldn't cover the requirements of marriage extensions. I would have other income but showing/proving that could be problematic. So it looks like PR is an option although I am aware that its not an easy process -  do you know if there's a maximum age for a PR application?

There is no maximum age, but it does play part in approval process, as age buckets are allocated different number of points, and around 40 was the sweet spot with most points if I remember correctly. That said, it's just one of considerations. Others are contributions to society, working in a job that is beneficial to Thailand, educational level reached, income, amount of taxes paid, married to a Thai national or not, having or not having Thai children, Thai language skills, personality,... It's the sum of all these that gets you approved or rejected.

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes there is and it needs to be continued until approved. If working it is 80k baht unless married to a Thai and then it is 50k baht.

When did these minimum amounts come in Ubonjoe? I don't recall there being a minimum amount when I applied back in 2000 in the category of being married to a Thai. At that time, I was working as a lecturer at Ubon Ratchathani university and my monthly salary was only about 35,000 baht. 

11 minutes ago, Michael Hare said:

When did these minimum amounts come in Ubonjoe? I don't recall there being a minimum amount when I applied back in 2000 in the category of being married to a Thai. At that time, I was working as a lecturer at Ubon Ratchathani university and my monthly salary was only about 35,000 baht. 

I am not sure when they were increased but I recall them being the higher amounts in 2009 or so. A lot of things were changed in 2003.

22 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

My understanding is that extensions based on marriage requirement is 400k baht in bank for only 2 months + under consideration period. So your stating that in future that's beyond your reach? 

Sad.

No, I'm stating that what I can prove in acceptable terms to the Thai authorities is not enough. I did say I had other income. If I couldn't raise 400k per year I wouldn't even dream of living away from my homeland.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I take it that income must be earned within Thailand or is foreign income allowed?

18 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I take it that income must be earned within Thailand or is foreign income allowed?

I am constantly thinking I should run that much income through something like shelter (now iglu has stopped doing it) so that in 3 years time I have the eligibility. 

My current concern is simply being in Thailand at the prescribed dates and times of extensions and review, my business activity isnt something I can schedule around Thailands clock, which is not the way it will need to work in the compliance side for Thailand (and attitude of PR reviewers) so I worry I invest a few years tax, and then due to work, break my extension chain or something annoying while in the multi year application process.