HK citizen on tourist visa needs to extend - but how? Chinese embassy wont give a letter. What are the options?

My friend, a HK citizen on tourist visa needs to extend - but how? Chinese embassy wont give a letter. What are the options? She has a stamp of "extension of stay being considered" etc "must show up by May 8th", but then the whole country went haywire. She wants to know: can she extend this without leaving the country? (HK is getting dangerous what with the govt fluctuations...). And what kind of extension should she ask for? She has a medical condition that requires surgery. But how do the new 60 day stamp from Nov1 rules apply to her? Anyone got any ideas or info? Does she need an agent? Are there any good ones in Chiang Mai?

Edited by e1771

Thank you for the quick response. She was refused before this new amnesty. You think they will allow her this time? I realize that's a difficult question to answer what with her circumstances not being clear.

Edited by e1771

The 60 day extension is more or less the new amnesty after the 31st. She should go to immigration this week and get the under consideration stamp she has taken care of. She should of went to immigration in May to get the extension she granted. And then apply for the 60 day extension by completing the affidavit I mentioned before.

2 months ago she went to the Chinese embassy and immigration. The embassy said they wouldn't give her a letter (she's from HK - a political thing?) and then immigration said she cant extend without the letter. But now it seems they are granting the 60 days even if the embassy wont give letters, yes? She is going to immigration on Wed and will try again with the new affidavit. I'll inform you as to the result.

Edited by e1771

On 10/28/2020 at 12:13 PM, e1771 said:

she went to immigration and this time they gave her another 30 days "extension of stay under consideration" stamp, and now she needs to collect evidence of a medical emergency. Thanks for your help UbonJoe.

Strange that she needs to collect medical evidence... Which reason she stated for the extension? Here in Phuket they don't need embassy letter or any reason, just fill in TM7 form and Affidavit, show TM30, pay 1900thb and get 60 days extension (first they stamp Nov/10 'under consideration', after that they will stamp Dec/31 they said)... Your friend's problem maybe is that she didn't come back in May to "close" that 'under consideration' stamp, not sure why she didn't do that... Another problem might be CM office which got some bad press recently for refusing this new extension (even telling applicants to "sort it out with agents hanging out outside of their building"... well it's Thailand)

6 minutes ago, sallecc said:

http://chiangmai.chineseconsulate.org/chn/xwdt/t1768185.htm

The Chinese consulate in Thailand has suspended issuing consular letters since April. 

I have heard many foreigners in Chiang Mai IO denied extensions of their tourist visas, Chiang Mai Immigration is very unfriendly and they want foreigners to use agents.

Edited by ELMqgp