When will Non-immigrant- O visa holders be able to return Thailand

People need to realise the difference between an actual VALID VISA and an extension of stay. As the difference is relevant when it comes to getting a CoE

Outside of Thailand, an extension means stuff all, the consulates etc recognise Valid Visa's, an extension of stay is a Thai immigration internal thing.

All the Consulates mention valid visa's, OA, OX etc, nobody has a valid O visa from before Covid, they only last 3 months and Thailand has been shut for 6 months.

As in the OPs case, if you left Thailand 6 months ago with an "EXTENSION OF STAY" and re-entry permit in your passport, you dont have a Valid Visa for presentation to get a CoE.

Inside Thailand, extensions are often referred to and treated as Visa's , Outside Thailand its an unrecognised stamp in your passport,

This is one instance where the phrase "its not a Visa" has meaning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

People are already entering with non-o visas issued for family members of those that qualify to enter the country and those married to or the parent of a Thai.

Joe you are right technically as always. However Reading the recent news on covid from Europe and the general stance of the Thai government I won't be surprised if they revoke or make harder those entry rights based upon family connections(from Europe anyway). I really doubt that the entry requirements will ease any time soon apart from the Chinese. Would be really surprised if they ease the restrictions towards the pensioners from Europe in the near future .

What is the current requirement for rentry to Thailand if you have a marriage visa, valid till April 2021?

Need insurance as per rules for tourists? Do you have to quarantine in their designated hotels and where to get such a list?  Thanks

I am in Australia in the same situation. I do not expect to be able to return to Thailand on my Non-O Retirement visa any time soon, if ever. I agree with those who have said this visa will probably be scrapped. So I am applying for an OA visa through the Embassy in Canberra and for the STV through Thai Long Stay. I will take whichever comes through first. But first the Thais have to decide which countries they will issue any visas at all to. I expect Australia will be approved long before the UK given the COVID situation in the two countries.

Also, there is no point asking Richard Barrow since he doesn't respond to emails despite repeated requests.

I am also in the same situation, I traveled to Australia in January and have been unable to return.

Problem now is that if you are an Australian citizen you need to apply to the Government for permission to leave and you need to have a compelling reason and show evidence of need to travel

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

People are already entering with non-o visas issued for family members of those that qualify to enter the country and those married to or the parent of a Thai.

When my non -o visa (retirement) expires 23 January while still in uk ,will I be able to reapply for another non o based on my marriage to a Thai to then return to Thailand? Or will I have to apply for a different type of visa?

20 hours ago, jackdd said:

It wouldn't surprise me much if they use this opportunity to scrap Non-O retirement visas, and holders of such visas are never allowed back in. Like this they can force everybody to OA or OX visas, which was probably their plan since they introduced the health insurance requirement for OA visas.

If you want to come back get an OA visa, nobody knows when or even if you will ever be allowed back in with your visa.

My non-O ME just expired while being locked out. Can I apply for OA and then return?

Have insurance.

40 minutes ago, karunasup said:

What is the current requirement for rentry to Thailand if you have a marriage visa, valid till April 2021?

Need insurance as per rules for tourists? Do you have to quarantine in their designated hotels and where to get such a list?  Thanks

Its best to check the Thai embassy website in your home country

17 hours ago, howerde said:

But O-A and O-X require health insurance,  and that can be a money spinner as after a year or so it must be bought from a Thai company

Does anyone know how many new O-A visas were issued after the insurance restriction was introduced.

14 hours ago, thaitero said:

Yes, These retirees also..

Most common reason to use agent is that they are poor and do not have 800 K or 65K income so they pay about 15 k annually to get extension. Now some of these retirees who only officially has met financial requirements ( but not really ) are stranded outside.

One reason more why only o-a and o-x retirees are allowed. Thais do have some logic here if you think not only me, me and my situation,,

2 hours ago, JomtienExile said:

I am in Australia in the same situation. I do not expect to be able to return to Thailand on my Non-O Retirement visa any time soon, if ever. I agree with those who have said this visa will probably be scrapped. So I am applying for an OA visa through the Embassy in Canberra and for the STV through Thai Long Stay. I will take whichever comes through first. But first the Thais have to decide which countries they will issue any visas at all to. I expect Australia will be approved long before the UK given the COVID situation in the two countries.

Also, there is no point asking Richard Barrow since he doesn't respond to emails despite repeated requests.

The USA and UK/Europe are High Risk areas, however Australia and NZ are on the Low Risk list.

8 hours ago, stag4 said:

... you need to have a compelling reason and show evidence of need to travel

No longer the case if you intend staying outside for 3+ months (never the case if you normally reside outside Australia).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nchuckle said:

When my non -o visa (retirement) expires 23 January while still in uk ,will I be able to reapply for another non o based on my marriage to a Thai to then return to Thailand? Or will I have to apply for a different type of visa?

When you are married to a Thai national you are eligible for a CoE. 

Your Non Imm O Visa has already long time expired, but what you have is a permission to stay on the basis of that original Non Imm O Visa which you extended for reason of retirement.  When that permission to stay till 23 January 2021 is protected by a Re-Entry Permit, you can use that one to re-enter Thailand.

It is the fact that you are married to a Thai national which allows you to use that permission to stay.

If you were not married to a Thai national, you would currently not be allowed to re-enter on a Non Imm O based permission to stay, but you could then apply for a Non Imm O-A Visa.

13 hours ago, Letseng said:

My non-O ME just expired while being locked out. Can I apply for OA and then return?

Have insurance.

Yes, if you are +50 years of age and meet the financial and other criteria you can apply for a Non Imm O-A Visa, and that Visa will allow you to apply for the CoE, now necessary to enter Thailand.

When doing so you will be confronted with TWO different insurance-requirements.

1 - When applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa you would need an IO-approved health-insurance policy that meets the 400K/40K in/out patient coverage requirements.  When your foreign/international insurance meets those requirements and your insurer is willing to fill-in/sign the Foreign Insurance Certificate such insurance policy will be accepted.  You can also apply for a Thai IO-approved insurance policy, the LMG Insurance Plan-1 policy (with 200K deductible) being the cheapest option to meet that insurance requirement.

2 - When applying for the CoE, you would also need a health-insurance policy with coverage of medical treatment in Thailand, including COVID-19 treatment, for the minimum amount of 100,000 USD or equivalent.  In case your current insurance does not meet that requirement, you could subscribe to a SafetyWing travel-insurance policy which will in most cases be by far the cheapest option for the value it provides.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, karunasup said:

Since you wrote that you have a 'marriage Visa', this implies that you are married to a Thai national.  And that in itself makes you eligible to apply for the CoE, irrespective of the type Visa you currently have or want to apply for. 

If the permission to stay from the 1-year extension of stay for which you applied based on your original Non Imm O Visa is still valid (April 2021 and protected by a Re-Entry permit) that should suffice. 

Everybody applying for the CoE (required to enter Thailand) needs a health-insurance policy that covers medical treatment in Thailand, including COVID-19 treatment, for the minimum amount of 100,000 USD or equivalent.

On 10/27/2020 at 7:49 AM, thaitero said:

Yes, These retirees also..

Most common reason to use agent is that they are poor and do not have 800 K or 65K income so they pay about 15 k annually to get extension. Now some of these retirees who only officially has met financial requirements ( but not really ) are stranded outside.

One reason more why only o-a and o-x retirees are allowed. Thais do have some logic here if you think not only me, me and my situation,,

Sorry, what is that 15k for? Is that used to bribe the officer and for agent fees service to bribe the officer?

Edited by EricTh

Looks to me like the govt in the future would like everyone to have valid insurance FROM A THAI COMPANY.  Latest news says that the govt had just signed an agreement with 16 local Thai insurance companies about providing the $100,000.00 USD covid insurance - however the policies say they do not cover the ICU if one gets the virus that seriously so what is that amount of money for?  I believe there will be a move in the future to try to force foreigners on retirement visas of all types to have a $100K insurance policy with a Thai company since many of us already have a foreign insurance company that would pay over that amount and they still let people get a visa if certain signatures on that foreign policy and am sure they would like to get the monies into the Thai companies only!  This is my opinion only but I have been coming here since 1972, and retired here almost 20 years ago and see the changes in attitudes towards foreigners.  Though, I still love Thailand and plan to die here!

3 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

When you are married to a Thai national you are eligible for a CoE. 

Your Non Imm O Visa has already long time expired, but what you have is a permission to stay on the basis of that original Non Imm O Visa which you extended for reason of retirement.  When that permission to stay till 23 January 2021 is protected by a Re-Entry Permit, you can use that one to re-enter Thailand.

It is the fact that you are married to a Thai national which allows you to use that permission to stay.

If you were not married to a Thai national, you would currently not be allowed to re-enter on a Non Imm O based permission to stay, but you could then apply for a Non Imm O-A Visa.

Thank you for that clarity. Should I not return before the expiration of my current extension protected by reentry visa what visa would I need to apply for to obtain COE to enter Thailand based on my marriage? Would it be another non imm O or does it have to be another type? I am holding off returning in the hopes that the entry requirements (quarantine etc) might abate somewhat and the process become rather less fraught ,as indicated by a number of posters who’ve experienced the procedure. 

39 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Thank you for that clarity. Should I not return before the expiration of my current extension protected by reentry visa what visa would I need to apply for to obtain COE to enter Thailand based on my marriage? Would it be another non imm O or does it have to be another type? I am holding off returning in the hopes that the entry requirements (quarantine etc) might abate somewhat and the process become rather less fraught ,as indicated by a number of posters who’ve experienced the procedure. 

When you let the permission to stay till 23 January expire, you will still be eligible to return to Thailand because of your marriage to a Thai national.  And you could apply then for any Visa that suits your needs and for which you can meet the requirements.

At the moment the UK Thai Embassy website indicates that 

**30-day visa exemption is currently suspended. The UK and Ireland are not in the list of low risk countries for COVID-19 so not eligible for tourist visa and special tourist visa.** 

So at this moment the Non Imm O-A Visa would be your option of choice, as VisaExempt and Tourist Visa are not possible to apply for.

My non o extension and re entry permit expire Jan 15th. I ave waited and waited for our turn to go back to Thailand and it has been very stressfull.

Non O-A visa holders can now obtain a COE and I hsve decided to apply for one of these visas as it takes me out of this state of limbo.

I have had my medical examination and had my certificate signed by my local GP. I have had my CRB check done and am just waiting for my insurance to be approved and then will apply.

The choice is to do this and go home and be with my partner again and start enjoying life again or wait and wait in the hope of returning on my non o extension.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

When you let the permission to stay till 23 January expire, you will still be eligible to return to Thailand because of your marriage to a Thai national.  And you could apply then for any Visa that suits your needs and for which you can meet the requirements.

At the moment the UK Thai Embassy website indicates that 

**30-day visa exemption is currently suspended. The UK and Ireland are not in the list of low risk countries for COVID-19 so not eligible for tourist visa and special tourist visa.** 

So at this moment the Non Imm O-A Visa would be your option of choice, as VisaExempt and Tourist Visa are not possible to apply for.

Thank you. But not the Non Imm O as I currently have with extension ? The reason being that I have chosen  not to have standard medical insurance (I have funds to self insure) and I understand non Imm O permits this but not O-A. I understand in any case I would have to take out a Covid only specific policy but I gather this can be done relatively cheaply vs a comprehensive health policy and subsequently allowed to lapse. Thank you for your patience and any thoughts on your opinion on this welcome.

18 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Thank you. But not the Non Imm O as I currently have with extension ? The reason being that I have chosen  not to have standard medical insurance (I have funds to self insure) and I understand non Imm O permits this but not O-A. I understand in any case I would have to take out a Covid only specific policy but I gather this can be done relatively cheaply vs a comprehensive health policy and subsequently allowed to lapse. Thank you for your patience and any thoughts on your opinion on this welcome.

As he explained, you should be able to  use a re-entry permit based on extension of stay on an original O visa to enter if you are married to a Thai.

If you lack a re-entry permit, or if the Tahi Embassy for some reason insists you get a new visa, you can get a new  non-O visa. There is no need to get an O-A if you are married to a Thai.

You then need only the COVID insurance to qualify for a COE.

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

< deleted first part of my response as Sheryl answered already and more clearly >,

But please note that like everybody else wanting to come back to Thailand you would need a 100.000 US $ health-insurance policy that covers you for medical treatment in Thailand AND includes covid-19. 

Note: TGIA offers 100.000 US $ covid-19 only policies, but the websites of the Thai Embassies indicate that the policy should cover you for medical treatment in Thailand which implies that a covid-19 only policy would not be sufficient. 

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Thanks 1

On 10/27/2020 at 8:18 PM, stag4 said:

I am also in the same situation, I traveled to Australia in January and have been unable to return.

Problem now is that if you are an Australian citizen you need to apply to the Government for permission to leave and you need to have a compelling reason and show evidence of need to travel

If you're spent more time out of Australia  in the  last 2 years you will get a exemption to leave quite easy apply to home affairs

On 10/28/2020 at 12:18 AM, stag4 said:

In addition to the above, the "compelling reason" has been dropped - tell/show them you are leaving for 3 months + and good to go (assuming you cover all bases Thailand - or whatever destination - have implemented).