Thai PM asks opposition MPs if they know what will happen if he steps down

webfact

1 hour ago, mark131v said:

Then, he explained, Parliament will elect a new Prime Minister from among the available candidates and the winning candidate must receive half of the votes of the MPs and the Senators

Not that it will happen, but Anutin (MoH/BJT) is thought to be "next in line", assuming they opt for a "civilian".

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Among other things, the following measures were introduced under Thaksin or his affiliated parties:

• 90 day reporting
  • An end to honorary Consulates (Brissy, Hull, Houston) being able to issue Non-immigrant multiple entry visas to Brits, Aussies and Americans
  • Limits on tourist visas and 30-day entry stamps
  • An end to easily available multi-entry tourist visas
  • Funds being required for extensions of stay for marriage and retirement
  • Additional scrutiny of education visas

Those are just what I can remember off the top of my head. Ultimately the Police are the ones responsible for all implementation as Immigration is a division of the RTP. 

Correct, each time he or his family was in power they got more strict with foreigners while giving the impression worldwide he was opening up the country. Many on this TV forum where not here yet or just did not realize. Doing his reign no PR where issued that I know of. They just accepted the applications that's all. And each time he left the  military tried to close some loopholes getting even more strict.

Edited by SomchaiCNX

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Not that it will happen, but Anutin (MoH/BJT) is thought to be "next in line", assuming they opt for a "civilian".

Thought as much myself, which is why he is trying to get as much good facetime with Thai public over his handling of covid pandemic

16 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

He believes that he is the all powerful man that he is not.  He believes he is loved, he isn't.  The royalists do not love him, rather they love what he has done to fatten their wallets.  They believe in the culling of the herd so they can remain on top without watching their backs.  There is a reckoning coming for those in power, and they best get their own houses in order first.  

This reminds me on a TV interview with Gaddhafi, when the people were already revolting while he was still in power, and shortly before he was executed. He spit at the interviewing journalist and said: "You understand nothing, nothing! My people love me, the people of Lybia love me!!!" Short time later he was dead.

This will not happen in Thailand, of course. But it shows quite well the mental state of such crazed people. 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

He has already passed a law to absolve himself and all of his cabinet, for all and any mistakes that they may have made while in office, and of course he also had more legislation passed to ensure he could stay in office for 20 years and enjoy the spoils of being a dictator/coup leader. I think he is more in line with Fidel Castro now.

Exactly this is one point why he never ever will accept any move of the country towards democracy and real, fair rule of law, given how criminal and corrupt he and the other generals are. It simply is much too dangerous for them to risk that one day a fair court in a Thai democracy prosecutes them for all their crimes.

Therefore, to avoid any reform towards democracy and rule of law and to get rid of the current deadlock, they need an escalation and a decisive battle soon. That might be a reason why they trigger an escalation now by prosecuting Thanathorn, to ingnite violence and real riots, and to have an excuse for a tough crackdown then. Yellow thugs will be ordered to support this well engineered agenda of escalation. 

As I pointed out before already, after such a provoked crackdown, I guess that the army and the boss will give the power to some civil friends (I guess Anutin will appointed as the next PM), in order to appease the people and the international community, and to create a "government of national unity", whose duty only will be to protect the system for another decade, till the traditional Thai cycle of politics will start again. 

Edited by Flying Saucage
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Regardless of how much power he really wields, he needs to go. He’s the face of everything that’s wrong with the country right now. 

He will have to step down. It’s just a matter of how long it takes. 

and go where? the setup is uncrackable. as someone said he needs to watch his back. people are angry and hurting.. harsh times.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Thought as much myself, which is why he is trying to get as much good facetime with Thai public over his handling of covid pandemic

keep praying then, Anutin got no brains to take care of a country, and he love to call farang dirty.. imagine him in an UN meeting .. no more comments.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ezzra said:

All in all i think that by now everybody knows that the anger and discontent of the protesters is not REALLY directed towards the PM, 'Nuff said...

Nothing short of a republic would would solve the problem.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, A512 said:

and go where? the setup is uncrackable. as someone said he needs to watch his back. people are angry and hurting.. harsh times.

Go out of politics. 

People are angry and even Prayut stated that families are divided. This all happened under his watch. People are fed up of seeing his face and hearing his seemingly tenuous grasp on the Thai language. 

As criticism mounts, he will become more unhinged and make things worse. 

Edited by rkidlad
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, A512 said:

Anutin got no brains to take care of a country

Look I'm no "plankhead" fan, but he is Deputy PM, from the third-largest coalition party (BJT) and non-military.

Again, I was just listing a possible succession, with the caveat that it's not happening because Uncle Tuu will never resign (unless commanded to do so). He's hanging on for that Privvy Council chair.

3 minutes ago, Grossman said:

It all reeks of desperation. I can only imagine how utterly frustrating it must be for them that the protestors refuse to follow their ages old tactics and start a rampage that would justify a tough crackdown, but instead all attempts at provoking violence and mayhem only results in more people joining the protests with their three fingers up in the air, singing songs and speaking the truth loudly for the whole world to hear. 

The junta would need an all out riot to even begin to justify what they must be itching to do, but their playbook is as old and obsolete as their mindsets are and their "enemy" is nothing like they've dealt with before.

There's a horrible video online of an auntie slapping a young school girl across the face for not standing for the national anthem.

While the protesters are being non-violent and asking for equality, representation and accountability, the other side are inciting hate and violence. Really shows you who the "good guys" are. 

• Like 1

Just now, mtls2005 said:

Look I'm no "plankhead" fan, but he is Deputy PM, from the third-largest coalition party (BJT) and non-military.

Again, I was just listing a possible succession, with the caveat that it's not happening because Uncle Tuu will never resign (unless commanded to do so). He's hanging on for that Privvy Council chair.

Anutin is in post for one reason only, Prayut needed him and his minor party to secure enough votes to make himself PM. That and armfuls of cash.

• Like 1

Watching the Yellow shirts march around in Lumpini Park yesterday, and then walking to the US Embassy, without even having more than a few policeman watching them, shows the dispirit treatment that each group is receiving.  Those that support the Government have a free get out of jail card and can walk when and where they want with impunity, but the Protest group trying to dislodge the current usurpers is arrested, charged and then shat upon by the yellow shirts.  You talk about inequality and who has more rights than others, all you have to do is look at how the sides are treated differently.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

There's a horrible video online of an auntie slapping a young school girl across the face for not standing for the national anthem.

School teacher material? Or foley artist for lakorns?

Interesting was the young woman preventing the crazy auntie from further assault. 

On 10/27/2020 at 8:12 AM, rkidlad said:

Looking at how many thumbs down your comments get (figuratively speaking) me thinks your opinion isn't worth much.

Prayut has to go. I know it will be kicking and screaming as it won't be about the people it will be about him and his ego. But if this country has any chance of moving forward, he has to go now.

All this in your opinion of course. 

So it's worth exactly as much as his, that is to say, very little.

BTW, the number and type of emoticons as a measurement of value for an opinion is pure nonsense. In my opinion of course. 

So his post, your post, and my post are all irrelevant to how the Thai government is run. This is as it should be since we are not Thai citizens. Our only vote is our feet and an airline ticket. 

But hey, who am I to throw shade on the party. Carry on! ???? ????

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, RocketDog said:

All this in your opinion of course. 

So it's worth exactly as much as his, that is to say, very little.

BTW, the number and type of emoticons as a measurement of value for an opinion is pure nonsense. In my opinion of course. 

So his post, your post, and my post are all irrelevant to how the Thai government is run. This is as it should be since we are not Thai citizens. Our only vote is our feet and an airline ticket. 

But hey, who am I to throw shade on the party. Carry on! ????????

If it's just my opinion; therefore, it's worth very little. Why on earth do you think I should care about yours?

Thanks for your endorsement on my right to express myself. It means a lot coming from someone who ends their posts with emojis. As for your comment on not being Thai so my opinion of the Thai government being irrelevant, I look forward to never seeing a post from you being critical on any other country that isn't yours. Because you would never post anything, in your words not mine, that's "irrelevant", right? 

• Like 1

If Prayuth resigns now, he may still be able to cut a deal so later won't need to join the many fallen leaders in exile, outside Thailand.

Although him & co already gained a lot on corruption.

On the warm evenings in Dubai he can have plenty to chat with Taksin, about their rise and fall.

3 hours ago, tingtong said:

If Prayuth resigns now, he may still be able to cut a deal so later won't need to join the many fallen leaders in exile, outside Thailand.

Although him & co already gained a lot on corruption.

On the warm evenings in Dubai he can have plenty to chat with Taksin, about their rise and fall.

I don't think he could cut a deal and stay. He'd have to leave. The only deal to cut him is one like they did for Thaksin and Yingluck to leave the country.

Having him remain here after everything he's done is just a slap in the face for all the protesters and the hard work they have been doing. People would need to see him have his day in court where justice could be served. It would also send a strong message to any future usurpers.

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Watching the Yellow shirts march around in Lumpini Park yesterday, and then walking to the US Embassy, without even having more than a few policeman watching them, shows the dispirit treatment that each group is receiving.  Those that support the Government have a free get out of jail card and can walk when and where they want with impunity, but the Protest group trying to dislodge the current usurpers is arrested, charged and then shat upon by the yellow shirts.  You talk about inequality and who has more rights than others, all you have to do is look at how the sides are treated differently.

Been that way since 2006