Is my method of entry into Thailand possible?

with an American passport,  a person can stay in  south Korea maximum 90 days  in  B-2 status no visa status . The mandatory  quarantine    in a government-designated facility for 14 days   . which cost around $90~$130/day.

I sent an email to SK  Thai embassy on [email protected]   and I am still waiting for a reply . 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, sanbyran said:

with an American passport,  a person can stay in  south Korea maximum 90 days  in  B-2 status no visa status . The mandatory  quarantine    in a government-designated facility for 14 days   . which cost around $90~$130/day.

I sent an email to SK  Thai embassy on [email protected]   and I am still waiting for a reply . 

I also emailed them an eternity ago and never got a reply 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Phillip9 said:

In other threads, a SK resident has been saying it has so far been impossible for Koreans to get a STV.

That's probably because the STV is ultimately a shell-game to get chinese investors and "business people" into the country quickly and masquerade as a "step towards reopening." STV requires residency + low-risk status so thats already out of the question for me, but a tourist visa doesn't have a residency requirement. I'm just wondering if they would even approve a regular 60 day TR visa application right now 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, FalangJaiDee said:

I'm just wondering if they would even approve a regular 60 day TR visa application right now 

It not exactly a regular tourist visa due to the much higher requirements.

It is number 13 here. https://seoul.thaiembassy.org/en/content/announcement-on-the-entry-procedures-for-non-thai?cate=5d661cd515e39c3018004936

The STV is not mentioned anywhere on their website now that I can find.

1 hour ago, Phillip9 said:

In other threads, a SK resident has been saying it has so far been impossible for Koreans to get a STV.

Not impossible as a Korean, you need quite a bit of money in the bank seasoned for 6 months.  So might be a problem for a tourist if that needs to be in a Korean bank.

4 hours ago, FalangJaiDee said:

F*** i just realized that. I guess i have to try SK instead, but they don't seem very receptive. The Cambodian embassy got right back to me. 

You can probably get an ordinary (AKA business) visa to enter Cambodia.

You will have ti pay a $2,000 deposit and undergo 14 day quarantine there, on top of the 14 day quarantine in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

You can probably get an ordinary (AKA business) visa to enter Cambodia.

You will have ti pay a $2,000 deposit and undergo 14 day quarantine there, on top of the 14 day quarantine in Thailand.

i have serious doubts they'll issue that visa unless you have an authentic business, invitation, etc. ill look into it tho

26 minutes ago, FalangJaiDee said:

i have serious doubts they'll issue that visa unless you have an authentic business, invitation, etc. ill look into it tho

I am looking into this as well. Trying to go somewhere from america next month. If anyone knows an agent who can help smooth things over with cambodia "business" visa please let us know an email. 

As a resident of Cambodia, most of the comments made above show how difficult it is to enter the country at the moment with all the financial, medical insurance and 14-day quarantine requirements, unless you are diplomatic staff, VIP or business man/investor. Most importantly the LAND border with Thailand is CLOSED to travelers , being open only for the import/export of cargo in trucks. According to "Flightradar" currently there are no flights between Bangkok (BKK) and Phnom Penh other than K-Mile Air which is a cargo/charter company. Should you be lucky and enter Cambodia, having negotiated all the airport formalities and quarantine, life is more or less "old normal". There is public health advice but no mandatory health requirements. The wearing of face-masks, social distancing and body temperature readings are rare these days - it is "up to you" (in Siem Reap that is).  We go about our business as normal - busy bars, restaurants, shops, supermarkets etc. Spectators at sports events are still banned. There are no track & trace Covid-19 apps, BUT you will have to get your landlord, hotel manager etc.to register you on the FPCS app (Foreign Persons in Cambodia System) - the onus is on them, not you. Good luck.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

Maby OP would want to consider elite visa access ?

They had problems to get in but now it seems more and more get approvals and in some countries it is possible to get new elitevisa affixed to your passport if elite application approved.

Facebook has groups like Thailand Elite Members - Stuck outside Thailand to get more info..

• Like 1

If one can make an indirect route to Thailand from high risk countries , then what's the point of classifying countries into high and low risk in the first place?

Unless you are a citizen or permanent resident (not work permit or tourists) of that country, you don't qualify to use that country's name.

There was other people in this forum who wanted to try the indirect route (Malaysia, China) too but it doesn't work that way.

Edited by EricTh
  • Confused 1

You state that you may not be able to enter Thailand do to you being from a high risk country, but they are already allowing others from high risk countries so why not allow those from the US?

Point being they are boosting about the chinese already arriving and they are on the high risk list.

COVID-19 Travel Recommendations by Destination

8 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Adding a third country would seem to increase the degree of difficulty 10x.

Swimming might be easier?

Unless there is some urgency, maybe wait it out.

Agree.

Given that he appears to have no overwhelming need to enter Thailand, such as a Thai wife and children depending on him, your advice to wait it out seems the right course of action.

Trying to go through a third country is laden with opportunities for things to go very wrong.

22 minutes ago, olfu said:

Why not to try China?

I am US citizen and have 10 year visa to China. But didnt try it this year under Covid.

A normal 10 year visa is not valid for entry into china now.  Like most of the world, china is severely restricting the people allowed to enter.

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

If one can make an indirect route to Thailand from high risk countries , then what's the point of classifying countries into high and low risk in the first place?

Unless you are a citizen or permanent resident (not work permit or tourists) of that country, you don't qualify to use that country's name.

There was other people in this forum who wanted to try the indirect route (Malaysia, China) too but it doesn't work that way.

Passport country is irrelevant, they have said before its origin country of travel provided you have been there at least 14 days. We are not just trying to travel straight in.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, FalangJaiDee said:

I'm a 29 year old US citizen, no thai wife or kids. The following is a correspondence with the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh. My cummulative experience in Thailand has been 6 months, so I'd like older, wiser expats to scrutinize this email exchange and see if they draw the same conclusions as I do. Ultimately, I would try to stay longer than 60 days by using an agent to get some other kind of long term visa. 

My first email was as follows:
"Hello, I am 29 years old, a US citizen wishing to enter Thailand on a 60 Day Tourist Visa (or STV) .I understand that America is a high risk country so travel from there is not allowed at this time. But if I travel to Cambodia and stay in Cambodia for 1-2 months and apply for a 60 day tourist visa (or STV) to Thailand, can I enter this way?

This is my plan:
1) fly to Cambodia
2) stay in Cambodia for 1 to 2 months
3) Apply for an STV or tourist visa at the Thai Embassy.
4) Show supporting documents for bank statement 500,000 baht for 6 months
5) Traveling to Thailand ?"

Part 1 is their response where they pointed out that they couldn't be certain my plan would work because Cambodia may be taken off the "low-risk" list which is updated "fortnightly." They didn't say anything specifically about whether me being a citizen and passport holder of a high risk country would be grounds to be disqualified *in and of itself*. 

1141213607_part1.png.0ac3338ec8f3b4af7db6c9250bd1d433.png

Therefore, I sent them a reply (part 2) and specifically asked whether being a US passport holder/citizen (generally from a high risk country) would disqualify me regardless of whether I embarked from a "low-risk" country. 

1599729093_part2.png.898f2417e8c504d947ab49fa4ab34809.png

In part 3, they clearly strike out the STV on the grounds of lack of residency in Cambodia, but they still claim I am eligible for the TR visa. They don't explicitly state "No, being a US citizen does not make you ineligible," but I feel like there was enough emphasis on that fact that they would have overtly addressed it if it was a problem. 

2115417751_part3.png.eb8e9f3a7fc3a458ccc6ffbeaec6af91.png

Now, this seems like a "green light" on the surface, but I'm still skeptical as to whether things on the Thailand side of the approval process will be the same. Even if I apply for the Tourist Visa in Cambodia, will I actually get approved for it and issued a CoE? Furthermore, will whatever administrative body that approves the process in Thailand reject my application on the grounds that I have a passport from a high risk country? 

I understand all the requirements, ASQ, PCR-RT, Insurance, etc. I just want to know, before I bother to fly to Cambodia, whether I will ultimately be able to enter Thailand, from a "low-risk" country, despite being a US passport holder. 

Country of "residence" counts not country of nationality. If P.P. embassy will stick to what they told you, there is no problem. 

The person dealing with your application is the one who decides.

13 hours ago, at15 said:

Passport country is irrelevant, they have said before its origin country of travel provided you have been there at least 14 days. We are not just trying to travel straight in.

Where's the official document stating there? Can you please show it.

27 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Where's the official document stating there? Can you please show it.

I have seen nothing that says you have to be a citizen or legal resident of the country where you apply for the visa and certificate of entry. You just have to be living or staying in one of them that qualifies for them.

Info can be found on this embassy website page. https://helsinki.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/tourist-visa-started-9-10-2020?page=5f49f4a199a85e260f4278de&menu=5d80876d15e39c3354007bb1